Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Matamata Round the houses.

The locals are trying to have the Phoenix Palms in Tamihana Street removed.

Matamata 1965 - some coloured photos.

Photos by Glen Kirk - he has given permission to " borrow " them
    Glen also has some Monchrome photos of the " Original " Dragstrip at Meremere - a Cinder Strip close to the current Meremere Dragway.

The Saloon Grid in Hohaia Street.
    Colin Lumsden - De Soto #63 Graeme Park Plymouth Coupe [partly obscured right ] and what is number ?*7 -Anglia or Humber 80 - I am unsure ?

Name:  Matamata 1965 #31 1965 grid De Soto Colin Lumsden Plymouth Coupe Graeme Park Anglia Q - Glen Kir.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  140.9 KB

Garth Souness, Morrari - on a trailer and on " Borrani " Wire Wheels - in 1964 Garth was running the Ford Coupe

Name:  Matamata 1965 #32 1965 Morrari Garth Souness on trailer Glen Kirk .jpg
Views: 103
Size:  56.7 KB

Jim Boyd, Lycoming In the Pit area -
    Placed 1st in the Sports Car Handicap Race against some of the " racing cars "
    Also ran in the " Formula Libre Racing Cars and Sports Racing Cars " the " Festival Road Race " - Race #13 Placed 5th in the 15 Lap Race

Name:  Matamata 1965 #33 1965 Lycoming Special Jim Boyd Glen Kirk .jpg
Views: 105
Size:  135.8 KB

Have inquired if Glen has any more photos - he travelled to the UK in 1966 and is unsure of any more !

Matamata Round the houses. Posts #1 to #3.

Oldfart query #1 Post in this thread :
    Matamata Round the houses.
    I have very fond memories of this, but don't seem to be able to find much.
    Anyone?

Steve Holmes - reply question
    How many years did they run it for Rhys? I don't think it was on the championship trail so didn't get the media coverage that other events did. There are a couple of great photos floating about of Red Dawson in his Willys coupe and Garth Souness in the Morrari from Matamata. **

Oldfart - reply
    I believe it ran for 2 years. The old man was Town Clerk there. There were plenty of articles and photos in Motorman, Almost all the "names" took part with every class imaginable.

Copying the posts as a lot has come to light on the Races.

Would like to get hold of the Motorman articles - have the Results from Graham Woods archives and some programme details from Milan Fistonic, Keiron Guinness, Myles Hicks and photos from Scott Given Studio - through Ross Cammick, Alan Boyle's photos from 1964 and Glen Kirk's from 1965.

** Photos of The Willys and the Morrari now attached, the Morrari photo a static one from the Pits / Paddock.

Have contacted Hamilton Car Club in the hope of obtaining more information - that is how the Glen Kirk photos came to light.

Thanks Rhys for starting the thread, I had not seen it until recently, when I got information about the " Orchid Special " from its current owner in Switzerland who is trying to find all he can about that cars History -he referred to TRS Thread #847 - he, Richard, has a big archive but more is needed, especially on the early years of that car.

As a Post Script - The photo on the cover of the 1965 Programme show two " Racing Cars " going through a corner with the Farmers Building in the background and a big crowd.
    Photo copied below - cropped from the Programme.

Name:  Matamata 1965 #65 Programme Cover Photo crop - image5 Myles Hicks .jpg (579x800) (2).jpg
Views: 98
Size:  63.8 KB

Farmers are still in Matamata on Tainui Street at Number 7 - between the Council Building to the South and Broadway to the North. Is it the same location ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I would SUGGEST (same word could replace "state" in earlier post) that the photo with the Zephyr, 105E, Humber/Hillman could be Tamihana /Meura St corner. The plane tree plantings in many parts of town took place while we lived in the town, so now 55 odd years old.
    Thanks Rhys

Oldfart mentioned then plane trees and commented
    " we lived in the town, so now 55 odd years old. "

A photo of Matamata - Broadway in 1968 - should be familiar.

Name:  Matamata 1968 #21 Broadway showing Regent Theatre right Chris Burles archives .jpg
Views: 33
Size:  145.8 KB

The Race turned away from this part of Broadway - heading West ..right hand turn out of Tamihana, I think.

Make that Tainui Street, right turn into Broadway..
    See Milan's note - should have got out my Map..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-24-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: correction *** writer error ### 47 ..

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Oldfart mentioned then plane trees and commented
    " we lived in the town, so now 55 odd years old. "

A photo of Matamata - Broadway in 1968 - should be familiar.

Name:  Matamata 1968 #21 Broadway showing Regent Theatre right Chris Burles archives .jpg
Views: 33
Size:  145.8 KB

The Race turned away from this part of Broadway - heading West ..right hand turn out of Tamihana, I think.
    The circuit turned right from Broadway into Hohia Street then right into Tamihana, right into Meura Street, left into Tui Street, right into Tainui Street then right back onto Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    The circuit turned right from Broadway into Hohia Street then right into Tamihana, right into Meura Street, left into Tui Street, right into Tainui Street then right back onto Broadway.
    Milan, thought I had my Tainui and Tamihana mixed up, and couldn't find my notes. Do have the map that you posted.
    Cheers.

Now edited.