Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Matamata Round the houses.

Matamata Street races 1965 - Saloons - the John " Larry " Lawton photos.

Photos from J L Lawton's vast archives as mentioned in the previous post.

All from 1965. the 20th March event, and the Last One.

A pair of Minis led by Tony Gilbertson, not sure of 3rd and 4th cars.

Name:  Matamata 1965 #047 Mini trio T Gilbertson Cooper S front John Larry Lawton.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  57.8 KB

Humber Zephyr * [ see note ] of Frank Radisich leads a mixed bunch in including the Zephyr Corvette and the Morrari, an Anglia and Chev Coupe in the middle
    Name:  Matamata 1965 #049 Humber Radisich Anglia Coupe Zephyr - Corvette Morrari Church Corner crop Joh.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  38.7 KB

Humbers of Ross McCallum and G Harvey [ Graeme Harvey ? - thought he had a Holden that raced there ? ]

Name:  Matamata 1965 #052 Humbers Ross McCallum G Harvey workshop behind crop John Larry Lawton.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  43.3 KB

Anglia of Warren Reid - where is he heading ? he has spun !! - and Mini T Parker

Name:  Matamata 1965 #053 Anglia #70 Warren Reid Mini #86 T Parker workshop behind John Larry Lawton.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  59.1 KB

The Big Boys,
    Colin Lumsden De Soto, Jennings in the 6 litre Fiat, Chev Coupe and Garth Souness in the Morrari - Corvette powered
    - in 1964 Garth ran the early 1930's Ford Coupe - with Chev OHV V8 power.

Name:  Matamata 1965 #055 De Soto Lumsden Chev Coupe Jennings 6 litre Fiat spl  Morrari G Souness John .jpg
Views: 465
Size:  49.2 KB

The 1965 Programme Cover.

Looking for the entry lists for many of the races - especially Saloons,- have the Sports Cars and a handwritten list from the programme as the page Event - race 13 was blank apart from listing the name of the Race - The Festival Feature race for " Formula Libre Racing Cars and Sports Racing Cars ".

Name:  Matamata 1965 #001 1965 Programme Cover 20 March 65 image5 Myles Hicks .jpg (579x800) (3).jpg
Views: 493
Size:  107.0 KB

* Note ; Had Humber Jaguar in the notes but according to the entry list the Radisich Humber 80 had a cc rating of 2553 - the size of a Mark 2 and Mark 3 Zephyr engine. The Humber was Zephyr powered prior to the Jaguar Motor.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 08-11-2022 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Humber Zephyr ..###47

From distant memory, the Feature Race entry was made on the day from the fastest cars from previous races, and those that were still running, hat being sorted by the organisers..

Post #80, top photo is coming off Broadway. The Anglican Church Hall visible, and the house to the right was the one in which the Minister lived. Richards was the surname, his son in my 5th form class at the time of this pic.
    The lower photo certainly looks like Matamata, and maybe the sign says Hohaia St?, however it looks as though he is either lining up for a left hand turn or just exiting, and the only left was from Meura onto Tui, and Hohaia isn't close.
    From another post, Farmers was where the motorcycle dealer (Phils) is now. Corner of Tainui and Tui Streets.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 08-21-2023 at 12:07 PM.

Matamata Street races 1964 -65 a photo from 1965.

Another photo has emerged from Matamata 1965. A Terry Marshall photo - this seems to be a copy of a copy.

Rod Coppins in the Team Molyslip colours - the Zephyr Corvette - with stack pipes, being chased by Brian Innes in his Morris Cooper S a 1275/1293 cc machine.

Name:  Matamata 1965 #034 Rod Coppins Zephyr Corvette Brian Innes Cooper S 1275 -93 #85 near start fini.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  59.3 KB

Another photo of the Brian Innes Cooper S and a Zephyr - light colour but is it the Zephyr Corvette.??
    The wheels look right, and in one race Innes beat Rod Coppins coming third to Coppins 4th place.

- this from a montage of photos that appeared in a Newspaper at the time - a double page spread.

Name:  Matamata 1965 #064 1965 Photos Magazine #5 crop Zephyr and Brian Inness Cooper S #85 Glenn Ducey.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  46.4 KB

Results from the Days Racing - posted before. Brian Innes gets a couple of mentions ;

Name:  Matamata 1965 #024 1965 20 March Results arch Graham Woods.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  101.4 KB

Matamata 1965 - More John Larry Lawton photos.

A few more of J L Lawtons pictures from Matamata 1965.

I inadvertently lost some of the details and do not have the entry lists for Races 3 and 4 which should be of the Saloon Allcomers 1000 cc to 2100 cc. Have the 0 - 1000 Race 1, and 2100 and over Race 6

Chevrolet in the bales - hard to see.
    Name:  Matamata 1965 #054 Chev Coupe in the bales details tbc John Larry Lawton.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  39.4 KB

Jim Boyd, Lycoming leading a single seater, could be the " Formula Libre Racing and Sports Car race - Race 5, or a later event.
    Name:  Matamata 1965 #055 Lycoming Jim Boyd and single seater details tbc John Larry Lawton.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  38.2 KB

Humber 80 #98 - or is it a Hillman Minx ?
    Name:  Matamata 1965 #056 Humber 80 #98 details tbc John Larry Lawton.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  47.3 KB

Rod Coppins Zephyr Corvette, leads Brian Innes - Mini Cooper S..
    Name:  Matamata 1965 #057 Zephyr Corvette Rod Coppins Mini Brian Innes other details tbc John Larry Law.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  47.0 KB

Does anyone have the Races 3 and 4 Entry Lists that they could post here or PM with details,

Cheers

Roger

Another 3 photos to come from this set..

Matamata 1965 - More John Larry Lawton photos. the last 3..

Humber 80 - a 3 wheeler and a 44 gallon drum takes a hit !!. Can't quite read the Race Number.

Name:  Matamata 1965 #058 Humber 80 loses wheel 1 details tbc John Larry Lawton .jpg
Views: 402
Size:  51.9 KB

This looks like a full view of the same photo !! complete with spectator heads
    Name:  Matamata 1965 #059 Humber 80 loses wheel 2 details tbc John Larry Lawton .jpg
Views: 397
Size:  49.7 KB

Anglia - Jack Nazer ? ahead of Garth Souness in the Morrari [ spelling ]
    Name:  Matamata 1965 #060 Anglia [ Nazer Q ] ahead of Marrari Garth Souness details tbc John Larry Lawt.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  48.3 KB

Frank Radisich was entered in his Humber 80 -Zephyr Race #90 at 2553 cc - before it became the Humber - Jaguar..

That is all for the moment.
    Will see if I can find the details.

Thanks to " Oldfart " for asking the question and starting this thread..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-09-2022 at 02:02 AM. Reason: ###47

Matamata 1965 and more recently ..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    How many years did they run it for Rhys? I don't think it was on the championship trail so didn't get the media coverage that other events did. There are a couple of great photos floating about of Red Dawson in his Willys coupe and Garth Souness in the Morrari from Matamata.
    " I believe it ran for 2 years. The old man was Town Clerk there. There were plenty of articles and photos in Motorman, Almost all the "names" took part with every class imaginable. "

Continuing the story. I noted that some photos of Matamata had appeared on others thread some time ago.

At the risk of " repeating " the photos, thought I would bring a couple together that came from Milan Fistonic vast collection.
    One from 1965 and one more recent.
    The Events were as is now well known held in 1964 and 1965 ..

Milan notes with the photo ;- as written in 2016 on the Rhys Nolan photos thread ..
    " This is from 1965 and was taken at the corner of Tamihana and Rata Streets. "

" John Richards in the locally built Lotus 15 replica followed by Bill Caldwell's Lola which is being monstered by Donelly's HWM- Thunderbird.

Well if all the Chev-engined cars were powered by Corvettes then the Ford engine must have been a Thunderbird! "

Tui - Yeah Right ..

Was Donnelly trying to merge #14 with #114 .. The HWM was looking pretty scruffy even before this " Accident " ..

Name:  Matamata 1965 #039 Sports cars crash Matamata archive Milan Fistonic.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  151.4 KB

The more recent photo - 2016 Matamata - the same location. Same house in the background, has had some shutters added to the windows ..

Name:  Matamata 1965 #040 The corner recent years Matamata Milan Fistonic.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  135.0 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-11-2022 at 05:36 AM.

nothing to do with Matamata just like rogers after shot here. I picked up some original late 20's early 30's piccies a few weeks back, here's Kilbirnie speedway and I reckoned I could find the old houses, not even three minutes work as I knew where the speedway was, pretty cool that sort of thing to play with
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Matamata 1964.

This image from Milan Fistonic vast archives was on the Morrari thread -

The Motorman report on the event with the results and a photo of two young men who had written a Free Plug for Motorman in the ice on the roof of a Morris Minor - the two lads are in the bottom picture;

Name:  Matamata 1964 #009 Motorman report on 1964 Matamata Street races arch Milan Fistonic (2).jpg
Views: 335
Size:  153.0 KB

A TRS member had asked for the image to be posted .. go to the Morrari thread to find out more.

Journeyman Racer
    Fantastic to see the Morarri in these pics

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stokes View Post
    Fantastic to see the Morarri in these pics
    It was even more fantastic to see it in person just around the corner from home !
    I distinctly remember the frost in the "Motorman" post too. Thankfully being just round the corner meant we could go home between first getting there at the crack of dawn and first practice to get warm.
    Another thing that happened while we were at home was that a certain road going D type was looking for a place to park, so I suggested he park in our garage. The only time my family will have one in our garage
    Last edited by Oldfart; 01-17-2023 at 09:25 AM.

does anyone know anything about car 26 in the second piccie here please? I beleive it had an Edward Turner designed engine , he also designed the triumph speed twin and Ariel Square Four
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by jellywrestler; 03-01-2023 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    does anyone know anything about car 26 in the second piccie here please? I beleive it had an Edward Turner designed engine , he also designed the triumph speed twin and Ariel Square Four
    Car 26 is B. Merrett's Daimler SP250, powered by a 2.5-litre V8 designed by Edward Turner. The car was released in 1959 and was originally to called the Daimler Dart but Chrysler objected to them using that name so it was changed to SP250.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Car 26 is B. Merrett's Daimler SP250, powered by a 2.5-litre V8 designed by Edward Turner. The car was released in 1959 and was originally to called the Daimler Dart but Chrysler objected to them using that name so it was changed to SP250.
    I was talking to the guy wh owns and races in in chch at the weekend, he's had it 35 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    I was talking to the guy wh owns and races in in chch at the weekend, he's had it 35 years.
    The red car was the latest imported and was displayed by the agents as quite special, having chrome wire wheels. It was purchased as a replacement for the car restored and raced by Steve and David Oxton being written off. Steve's head mechanic looked after the car, which strangely had a significant advantage in respect of performance, much to Steve's annoyance.

A batch of SP250's became imported as a result of the agent's desire to use up import license on hand with there being a delay in the delivery of saloon models.

The V8 engine proved troublesome in the SP250 due to a significant defect.. The oil-way in the crankshaft, opened up in diameter at each crank pin, thus creating a chamber, which became blocked with lead, deposited due to this becoming what amounts to a centrifugal filter. It was presumed that the saloon models with automatic transmission did not suffer due to the engines running at higher average RPM and therefore temperature.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 03-02-2023 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Addition.

Matamata 1965 On the startline smiling

The Man in the middle Dene Hollier in the Lotus is smiling before the start.

Front row of the grid with John(ny) Riley Lotus Climax, Dene Hollier Lotus and Graeme Lawrence Brabham Twincam [ Ford ]. photo from Allan Dick - Classic Autonews archives.

Name:  Matamata 1965 #035 1965 startline John Riley Lotus Climax Dene Hollier smiling Lotus Graeme Lawr.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  44.4 KB

Riley won both the Festival Road Race - the feature race and the Formula Libre Race.
    In the latter race they finished Riley, Hollier, Lawrence - as they are in the picture

Name:  Matamata 1965 #124 1965 20 March Results crop arch Graham Woods (2).jpg
Views: 221
Size:  94.8 KB

The Standard of Mike Miers is an 8 no back door aand no opening boot I owned the car from 1962-1964 the 800cc motor replaced with 950cc I raced it at the first race meeting at Pukekohe and the 64 round the houses at matamata Waikato time had photo of car cornering with inside front wheel 6-8inches of ground. In about May or June I was at a dance at The Starlight ballroom in Hamilton and some one ran into side of car, the insurance paid out and gave me the car and that's when Mike bought the car he got an engine from an engine builder from Kumue named Ted Thompson we used to go up there quite often very cleaver man as he was very deaf but could he tune a motor, I helped Mike fit motor Ted had done some work on it so it was very quick in its day. Mike won his class in a lot of hill climbs etc.

Desard, I am curious, I can find no record of Standard ever having made the Standard 8 with no rear doors. Lack of a bootlid yes. Can you please confirm? Or was it that the rear doors had been modified to not open?
    Last edited by Oldfart; 08-21-2023 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Desard, I am curious, I can find no record of Standard ever having made the Standard 8 with no rear doors. Lack of a bootlid yes. Can you please confirm? Or was it that the rear doors had been modified to not open?
    Oldfart,

This photo from Jenny Lucey archives is of the Mike Miers [ Meir ] Standard 8 at Waharoa Sprints in the early 1960's .. Bit hard to tell from the quality of the photo..

Name:  Hamilton CC 1966 #045 1966 Mike Miers - Hamilton Standard 10 Cortina 1500 running gear Jenny Luc.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  69.3 KB

Yes you are correct must be my grey hair thanks for the correct details. The day I raced at Puke near the end of back straight an Austin A90 or A110 come passed me on its roof.