Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matamata Round the houses.

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    I was there ,first time I ever saw a car with dual wheels, a Dodge or ???plus around the fuel tanks at Mt Maunganui was the same time Frank Matich in a Lotus 19 ?? and a Brabham?? cleaned up. Archibald in a Mk2 Jag also ran I think
    The 3.8 Jaguar that ran at the Mount the year Matich competed (1963) was driven by John Ward from Gisborne.

So did Archibald race there at all I think perhaps Jim Palmer may have won instead of Matich???? Met Matich at a cycle Fair in LA about 17yrs. ago joined a group to ask about his cycle helmets{headway brand} when my turn came I asked hin about racing around the fuel tanks at the Mount ,He was pleased to remember!!

Hi Gang Raced there 2 times good fun Jamie A

Thanks for that programme Milan, clears up a few things with Bucklers too!
    Do you have any programmes for Mid 60s at Waharoa? I know they happened, and of course Raglan too!
    Sometimes my spelling is so crap! Changed now. My english teacher at school would be turning.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 11-06-2012 at 06:06 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    Well done Milan, some great names and cars on that programme, thanks for having the foresight to keep a piece of paper most of us
    threw in the bin the next day! My apologies for calling it Matamata Airfield (as it is now) back then it was always called Waharoa
    Aerodrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Bentham View Post
    Well done Milan, some great names and cars on that programme, thanks for having the foresight to keep a piece of paper most of us
    threw in the bin the next day! My apologies for calling it Matamata Airfield (as it is now) back then it was always called Waharoa
    Aerodrome
    The Car Club calls it the Waharoa Aerodrome but the Piako Aero Club disagrees.

"The Piako Aero Club once again welcomes the Hamilton Car Club to Matamata Airfield. We hope this day will be as successful and safe as all previous meetings. G. Fromm, President, Piako Aero Club.

Outstanding thread. I'm really enjoying this. Thanks Milan for your postings. You never cease to amaze me with what you have in your collection.

Jaguar 3.8 driver at Matamata

So did Archibald race there at all I think perhaps Jim Palmer may have won instead of Matich???? Met Matich at a cycle Fair in LA about 17yrs. ago joined a group to ask about his cycle helmets{headway brand} when my turn came I asked hin about racing around the fuel tanks at the Mount ,He was pleased to remember!!
    The driver of the silver 3.8 Jaguar at the Matamata and Mt Maunganui street races was Chris Keehan, from Central Hawkes Bay, a popular member of the local Car Club. Chris and other club members shared car rides and motels to keep costs down while trekking to race meetings from HB. I've got a photo somewhere of group members sharing a meal before Sunday racing started at Matamata. Included in the photo is Angus Hyslop's race engineer/mechanic Bill Hanna, Nigel ? (raced a fast dark green Fiat saloon), the Cooper single-seater driver Bruce Webster and a young motoring writer from The Napier Daily Telegraph. It was an extremely cold Winter morning!

I think Mt maunganui street races ran for 2 yrs??? I think Archibald took part, also prety shure Dennis Marwood as well in a Humber 80

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Definitely 64 and 65. I went to the first one, but not the second

Ten points for whoever can identify the Spitfire driver:
    Not sure I saw a definitive answer on this - Is it Reginald Cook?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Thanks for that programme Milan, clears up a few things with Bucklers too!
    Do you have any programmes for Mid 60s at Waharoa? I know they happened, and of course Raglan too!
    Sometimes my spelling is so crap! Changed now. My english teacher at school would be turning.
    Sorry that's the only Waharoa programme, but I do have this one from another Hamilton Car Club Grass Track Meeting held in 1970.

Name:  Hautapu 70 Prog.JPG
Views: 954
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  Hautapu 70 1.JPG
Views: 948
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  Hautapu 70 2.JPG
Views: 947
Size:  57.4 KB

I think Mt maunganui street races ran for 2 yrs??? I think Archibald took part, also prety shure Dennis Marwood as well in a Humber 80
    Yes two years 1962 and '63. Alistair McBeath in '62 and John Ward in '63 drove the only two Jaguar saloons that raced at that circuit.

Name:  MMN 62 Entry.JPG
Views: 1109
Size:  157.3 KB

Name:  MMN 63 Entry.JPG
Views: 1118
Size:  137.5 KB

I've just noticed my scanner has chopped off the top line of the 1963 list.

52 Fuller, R. W. Wellington Humber 80 Fuller Motor Bodies Ltd
    Last edited by Milan Fistonic; 11-07-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Not sure I saw a definitive answer on this - Is it Reginald Cook?
    There wasn't. Just someone with an answer being secretive. Newspaper report said "K.Grant". Drove A40/Lotus Cortina? Brabham 2.5.

Don't know if he ever drove a Spitfire at other meetings. Someone who lived at the other end of N Island might.

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David Manton View Post
    The driver of the silver 3.8 Jaguar at the Matamata and Mt Maunganui street races was Chris Keehan, from Central Hawkes Bay, a popular member of the local Car Club. Chris and other club members shared car rides and motels to keep costs down while trekking to race meetings from HB. I've got a photo somewhere of group members sharing a meal before Sunday racing started at Matamata. Included in the photo is Angus Hyslop's race engineer/mechanic Bill Hanna, Nigel ? (raced a fast dark green Fiat saloon), the Cooper single-seater driver Bruce Webster and a young motoring writer from The Napier Daily Telegraph. It was an extremely cold Winter morning!
    Chris Keehan did race the Jag at Matamata (and Ahuriri) but not, I think, ay the Mount

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    There wasn't. Just someone with an answer being secretive. Newspaper report said "K.Grant". Drove A40/Lotus Cortina? Brabham 2.5.

Don't know if he ever drove a Spitfire at other meetings. Someone who lived at the other end of N Island might.

Stu
    Kerry Grant raced the Spitfire at Ruapuna and then Matamata, then sold it to my mate Ian Pinkerton

norm agnew

Semi-Pro Racer
    No, it's Kerry Grant

Are You Sure????

Quote Originally Posted by rogered View Post
    Are You Sure????
    Yes he is sure!

Agnew drove a Spitfire numbered 23 in 1965.

Grant drove the Spitfire pictured, numbered 31, in 1964.

Matamata Street races 1964 -65 The Kerry Grant Triumph Spitfire

The answer - somewhat late is ... Kerry Grant in the Spitfire.

as seen in this photo
    Sadly David cannot award the ten points [ RIP David McKinney and RIP Kerry Grant recently ].

This is a Morrie Given photo as found in the Scott - Given Studio archives on the events in Matamata.

Name:  Motor Racing Matamata #39 1964 31 Spitfire Kerry Grant  Ross Cammick Scott-Given archives.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  65.0 KB

and this photo from Bob Homewood archives. Think the same photo that started the question in the earlier post..

Name:  Motor Racing Matamata #40 1964 31 Kerry Grant Spitfire Bob Homewood.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  88.8 KB

The car is also in this group - photo by Alan Boyle

Name:  Motor Racing Matamata #68 1964 Sports Cars Alan Boyle photo (2).jpg
Views: 544
Size:  43.0 KB

I posted the Scott - Given series of photos on my Dunedin Thread - but perhaps they could be repeated here.
    This thread was started in 2012 before I joined TRS and I don't think I have looked at it before.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-24-2020 at 05:43 AM.