Thread: American Joe Chamberlin at Baypark, anyone remember him?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes, the first two pics of the crashed road car are the first car Dale, not 100% sure in the coloured race shot I posted beneath them, but I suspect that could be the second car, as its rollcage looks the same as the other shots I've seen of the second car.

Dennis will know for sure but I thought it was sent to NZ with an engine fitted, a 302 as used in Trans-Am, rather than as a roller. A larger unit was built for the following (1971/72 ) New Zealand season (a 355 I think) and I believe the 302 that the car was fitted with on its NZ arrival was then fitted into the Ron Grable (ex T/G Racing factory Trans-Am) '69 Firebird that was sent to NZ in late 1971. Dennis or "bruce302" will be able to confirm that.

Yes Steve, sure the crash pics are the first Camaro and so is the bottom pic in race trim, infact the only way i could tell when i was tracking the 2nd car was the windscreen retainer clips were in a different place on the 2nd Camaro!! would need to revisit my info on this though!!

Hey, think Tony Antonievich may want to sell it now, seen its been a write off when it was new, LOL

Dale Mathers
    TGA, NZ

As far as I know both the Joe Chamberlain cars came here with engines. The first of course was a Trans Am legal 302.
    Joe had Everett Hatch build his engines.
    When Ron Grable brought the ex Titus car here in late '71, Dennis Marwood was asked to supply an engine for it. Whether the new engine was ready, or Dennis thought it would be better to keep the new engine and pass on the 302 I;m not sure. But the Grable Firebird got the 302 from the ex Chamberlain, Rorison Camaro, and it got a new set of Webers.
    This was a well used engine, and it didn't last long, perhaps one or two meetings. By that time Rod Coppins had a new 350 based engine.
    But I am getting of course a little.

Bruce.