Thread: Just A Mix Of Pics - Ray Green Collection

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The upside Dale is that NZ is seen as a relaxed and friendly place for drivers and spectators.

Even with a Formula Junior Mechanic's armband at Goodwood and able to wander around, I wasn't allowed on the grid with the camera before the Formula Junior race. 'I had a mechanic's armband, not a photographer's...'

Many of the pics posted here from my flagging days that so many enjoy, would not have been possible in the UK, as even if on stand down, flaggies were not allowed to take photographs. When I emigrated from the UK, even for work, it was so much less stressful working in NZ. Classic motorsport particularly, is not F1, is not Aussie V8s and everyone who comes here enjoys it, because it IS low key.

There may be several area's where NZ is a bit more relaxed, but let's not go to the other extreme. Ear pieces for all drivers is brilliant - but yet another cost that organisers will have to bear, on top of a $1500+ hire for officials' radios, which has to be passed on to drivers.

Nothing is for free and putting up entry fees to UK levels with NZ's incomes will only have one outcome. Don't destroy NZ's uniqueness as you may find that resolving one perceived problem the wrong way may well create others. If there is one thing I learned very early on with both meeting and series organisation is that for ultimate success, you may have ignore some well meaning, well thought out suggestions, and look at the overall situation. Choosing the issues that really do need addressing is the trick.

Totally off topic, but we lose more time at Auckland meetings for slow vehicle recovery, race change overs etc., leading to races being cut short, where everyone loses out and I'd put that way higher up the priority list, as it has been going on for years. Manfeild, Taupo and Teretongo knock spots off Auckland for recovery times and recovery systems. (Not sure about other tracks.) Cutting races back to 5 laps from six because of running late?

Again, the European and British race meetings run to the clock, but there is far too much hanging about with nothing happening and the Goodwood drivers got just one practice and 1 race - over three days - but the meeting did run to time!

In simple terms, you have to look at the overall pie and not just a thin slice - and try to grow the pie.
    Last edited by ERC; 02-06-2017 at 12:51 AM.