Have come back from the Bathurst Revival weekend at HD. I strongly feel more emphasis could have been put on the Kiwi drivers who have competed there over the years. On the friday and saturday I was at the McLaren heritage, I helped them get nearly 40 Kiwis who have raced there. The 1st Kiwi who was on the podium was Jim Palmer in 1968 driving a Holden Dealer Racing team HK Monaro Jim and his Aussie co driver were 2nd, the 1st year Holden won the race. We all know about Jim Richards and Rod Coppins brilliant race in 1974 getting 3rd. Only once has an all Kiwi driver combination won the race that was in 1999 when Greg Murphy and Steven Richards did it.
The only Kiwi drivers focused was Jim and Steven Richards and Paul Radisich, there was something missing with Greg Murphy not being there on the weekend ( I heard he had had a mountain bike accident recently and is on crutches )
The historic touring cars were enjoyable racing, the Central muscle cars always put on a good show with a
large no on the grid.
I question them being at an Historic meeting,the HMC would be more at home there.
My thoughts to keep these events thriving the promoters should talk to the fans as well as drivers, there appears to be getting fewer people attending every year.
My suggestions for future themes, Ford is a marque that is long overdue,a single drivers from the 60s and 70s concentrating collectively on Kiwi drivers also saloon car drivers of the same era.
also British cars (BMC ,Jaguar Rootes and Triumph)
It was good chatting to Jim Richards and John Bowe.
The meeting had a few dissapointments but I do not regret going to it , am eager to get to Taupo this weekend.