Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
The British Hillclimb and Sprint championships have use the beam breaker for years. The cars have to have a 'beam breaker' plate at the front and this is lined up at the start line by lights. Good enough I would have thought. As I posted earlier, if you competed without the front plate, timing was only to 0.1 seconds.

I'm guessing it came in at the beginning of the 1971 season based on these two pics, both taken at Prescott.

Name:  170_0503_010 Brabham BT29.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  171_0502_357 Brabham.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  66.0 KB
It would appear that the system's obvious limitations were overcome by including complications which can not be popular with competitors. The restricted width of what amounts to a starting gated is noted and I would judge a necessity.

A very significant disadvantage is that it requires accurate positioning of the vehicle rather than the starting device, which can cause frustration and delay.

I would be interested to learn as to how this costly and complicated set up is superior to the simple, coast effective and accurate hockey stick system, which is portable and can be used at any venue regardless. Just how is this beam system, which requires an addition to competing cars, more accurate in respect of electrically recording the start from standstill ?