Thread: Just A Mix Of Pics - Ray Green Collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well, after sulking for a while, even contemplating setting fire to it, I applied some lateral thinking. If you look at a Triumph Stag for example, plus any number of cabriolets, the roll over protection is part of the design. I spent some time with an MSNZ scrutineer and posed the question "If the roll cage forward of the centre hoop was hidden, did it actually exist?"

He agreed with me that if it was hidden, it could not exist, therefore I embarked on a mission to hide it.

It was at that point that lying awkwardly across the race seats, drilling for attaching a headlining, that I put my back out, requiring a(nother) spinal fusion, but by the time ACC had approved the op, the nerve down to my left hand was stuffed and never regrew.

I then decided to take the angle grinder to it (the cage, not the left arm) and remove it, but a day before I was going to attack, the LVVTA sent word via the Certifier that as the car was a) old and b) repowered, that they wanted the cage left in.

So I have a LVVTA plate accepting the cage (which was built to the MSNZ design rules, pre 40mm tube) but not MSNZ legal, despite any number of cars with at least 200bhp more than mine, running legally with similar cages.

As I hung up my helmet early 2016, although I have a logbook for the car, I never have had the chance to compete, but I haven't totally ruled out a MGCC track day at some stage.
    Last edited by ERC; 02-06-2021 at 10:27 AM.