Thread: Just A Mix Of Pics - Ray Green Collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"The hills are alive..."

Patsy Burt's McLaren was a regular on the hillclimb scene. Shelsey Walsh.
    Name:  165 _0723_99 Mclaren.jpg
Views: 2793
Size:  73.0 KB

The late Ashley Cleave's 1937 Morris Special. According to a recent UK magazine, this car is now being restored. Prescott. PS: Now in touch with the new owner (Dec 2018)
    Name:  171_0502_006 Morris.jpg
Views: 2870
Size:  86.9 KB

This Bentley Special was owned and raced by Alec Rivers-Fletcher, probably better known as the PRO for BRM. Probably less well known is that his next door neighbour at one stage, was the car mad British comic, the late Sir Norman Wisdom, who made an unscheduled appearance in one of Alec's home movies! Alec was a regular presenter of slide shows to car clubs and I remember well, my father taking me to Mansfield to see one. Outside was his modified Mk2 Jaguar, louvred bonnet, woodrim wheeel etc. Picture taken in the paddock of the Prescott Hillclimb.
    Name:  171_0502_167 Bentley.jpg
Views: 2814
Size:  156.3 KB

Not a hillclimb, (this time) but the Cadwell 'mountain' was a great feature of this track, often called the UK's mini Nurburgring. Pre '57 races were very popular with Morris Minors and Austin A35's doing battle with Mk1 Jaguars and Ford Zepyhrs, with able support from MG Magnettes, Standard Ensigns and even a P4 Rover. With the proliferation of older cars in NZ, its a pity that the same didn't take off here. NZ Pre 65's are racers, whereas the UK pre 57's were very much road cars.
    Name:  177 cadwell guess.jpg
Views: 2744
Size:  80.1 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 03-05-2019 at 10:31 AM.