Page 6 of 238 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Just A Mix Of Pics - Ray Green Collection

Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    I think the white MGB above with the dark tail may have been an Indian chap Anil Naidu
    Believe you to be right. Think he had a modified hard top later (black in colour). Raced against him in both a few times at Puke club curcuit.

It had bigger wheels, but looks like he has reverted to standard for wet.

The Prescott programme here lists this as a Lotus 23, but it looks like the Coldwell GT to me - sans gullwing doors for better visibility maybe - or better ventilation on a steaming English early summer's day...?
    Name:  170_05 Check 130.jpg
Views: 3086
Size:  63.9 KB

One of my favourite cars of the period. Journalist Tom Leake's Aston Martin DB4GT
    Name:  170_0628_072.jpg
Views: 2952
Size:  82.8 KB

And now for something completely different... An NSCC (Northern Sports Car Club, not Nottingham Sports Car Club this time) Sprint at Span farm. They turned down my 1300cc Riley Elf as it was still in primer, so I never did get to run it. Chevron with a slight hiccup. Not sure of the exact date, but mid 1980s.
    Name:  185 Span farm guess.jpg
Views: 2949
Size:  23.2 KB

I am not a rally follower but picture opportunities abound, even if you are there as a stage marshal. Again, not sure of the date.
    Name:  190_rally  041.jpg
Views: 2834
Size:  86.3 KB

Note to AMCO - please come back. I really miss your posts... Don't let one dozy poster put you off.
    Last edited by ERC; 11-23-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Silver sports (Chevron) with smoke and tell tale flame under it, looks like the Henderson sprint around the industrial years back (was that span farm) and RX3 is definately Woodhill but who not sure.

Shame about primer being such a safety thing, unreal for a sprint meeting. Thats what we all put up with back then.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 11-23-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Note to AMCO - please come back. I really miss your posts... Don't let one dozy poster put you off.[/QUOTE]

+ 1 from me.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    Note to AMCO - please come back. I really miss your posts... Don't let one dozy poster put you off.

+ 1 from me.[/QUOTE]

+2

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    + 1 from me.
    +2[/QUOTE]

+3

World Champion
    I am reviewing the situation........meantime you Guys, you had better get this thread back on track, otherwise we will get our ears chewed.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    I am reviewing the situation........meantime you Guys, you had better get this thread back on track, otherwise we will get our ears chewed.
    Missed your stories and comments, thought that son of yours had sold you off somewhere as a valuable relic

Welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Nope, no ear chewing, I'd like to see you back too Gerald.

World Champion
    Well, it's nice to feel welcome. Clearly my writing style does not suit everyone, but that would be a tall ask on a forum such as this with such a wide diversity of interests and skills.
    Of course I am just a fraud on here, as although my title says...'Billy Bigtime', my motoracing experience is zilch compared to some of the illustrious names on here. So I am just bumbling along telling stupid stories that I'm sure dont interest motoring historians, but may bring a smile to the faces of lesser mortals.
    OK, enough of the bullshit. I will return to the printed page with details of a little project that I have been doing for last couple of months, but will appear on a more suitable thread, but here is a peep.
    In response to a request by Jim Barclay, I have rescued the Austin 850 Mini that Denny Hulme purchased new in England in 1960 when he and George Lawton were there on the Driver to Europe program. The car had been sitting in a barn near TePuke since 1989, and was, as you can imagine in a rather sorry state.
    Anyway, I will get some pictures together of the rescue mission, and more details about the car in another thread.

Woohoo! Welcome back... I wasn't around in NZ pre 1983 so stories of cars and personalities from an earlier time, particularly when well written, are appreciated. OK, I'll get the thread back on track...
    Last edited by ERC; 11-23-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Although the programme always used to state the driver's name as "Spotty Smith", the real name was Tony Banccroft. TVR at Prescott again. I'd have to say that the annual Bugatti/Ferrari owner's club hillclimb is a must attend event that tends to get overlooked these days, with the obvious emphasis on Goodwood.
    Name:  170_05 Check 181.jpg
Views: 2875
Size:  82.9 KB

7 litre Skoda anyone? As mentioned before, the UK special saloons rules insisted on engine and gearbox in the original location and Skoda's proved an ideal base. Cadwell again - another UK venue well worth a visit, though Lincolnshire doesn't attract many NZ tourists. Pity really, as the (fresh) fish chips and mushy peas at the sea front at Skegness, are to die for! Four pounds 55p when we called in June - say $10?
    Name:  178 Not Sure 009.jpg
Views: 3473
Size:  77.5 KB

Curborough again and another of those less well known cars, the Landar. They also made rather nice Mini engined sports racers, but I don't think they produced many single seaters.
    Name:  179 Not Sure 000074 Landar.jpg
Views: 3502
Size:  88.1 KB

Another "little brother" to my car. The Costin Amigo. I believe there might even be one in NZ? Please tell me my memory isn't playing tricks.
    Name:  182 not Sure 005.jpg
Views: 3165
Size:  67.2 KB

No caption really required as to car or track...
    Name:  188_12 Nissan guess.jpg
Views: 2882
Size:  110.9 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 11-23-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Must admit the "Billy Bigtime" with my name would be better as "Enthusiast" or "Part Time"
    welcome back Gerald.

Love that Skoda, what a beast, nice shot of the Skyline at Puke, think if you visit John Windleburn at North Shore Automatic's you may see it parked in young Shanes corner.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 11-23-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Must admit the "Billy Bigtime" with my name would be better as "Enthusiast" or "Part Time"
    welcome back Gerald.

Love that Skoda, what a beast.
    Not keen on the Billy Bigtime moniker either... I think that the Skoda's engine may have been in his previous 'loon, a Capri. George "Welly" Potter - I think. (Another missing race programme...)

Silverstone 1973, F1 meeting.
    Name:  173_0714_83b.jpg
Views: 3185
Size:  117.1 KB

I only managed the Richard Seaman Trophy races at Oulton Park the once, and it appears that maybe dust correction should have been applied when this negative was scanned... Big old cars with even bigger engines may not be the fastest round a race track, but the spectacle is more important than the speed - in my book anyway.
    Name:  175_0614_14.jpg
Size:  152.5 KB

April 1979 at Donington and the local super saloon hero, Mick Hill, in his latest Skoda. I think Mick's creations, from his first Jaguar engined Ford Anglia, through Capris, VW and Skodas, were all worth watching - and he wasn't too bad on the Scalextric either... (More of that anon)
    Name:  179_0415_24.jpg
Views: 3216
Size:  100.1 KB

Geordie driver, French car, Chelsea Hillclimb. Obviously not an old scanned slide or negative, but a favourite pic anyway.
    Name:  211_1106_081.JPG
Views: 2844
Size:  118.3 KB

Another digital pic. Monaco 2012 and another brave Brit effort - Alta. (I must publish Dad's Alta pic.)
    Name:  212_0512_203.JPG
Views: 2725
Size:  98.7 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 11-24-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Another from the forests but as yet, undated.
    Name:  190_rally  043.jpg
Views: 2793
Size:  97.1 KB

French Blue, Italian Red - Goodwood Festival 2004. I never did manage to get close enough to the track to get a decent action pic, even with a Press pass, but there are just so many decent cars around, that even if you can't get to the revival race meeting, the Festival is still well worth a visit. A (sold out) crowd limit of 150,000 over the three days, for a hillclimb, rather puts the Aussie V8 crowd numbers into perspective. Incidentally, ladies are allowed at Goodwood...
    Name:  204_0625_163.JPG
Views: 2808
Size:  139.5 KB

Paul Madeley's rare race winning Nerus Silhouette at Hampton Downs. They only built 4 - and this one is now for sale.
    Name:  211_0129_102.JPG
Views: 2882
Size:  88.1 KB

Without a doubt, one of the most impressive specials I have ever seen. The McNair Riley Moth - 2011 Chelsea again. The concept and execution of this car is just stunning. How can you compare watching a Falcodore to this?
    Name:  211_1106_011.JPG
Views: 2915
Size:  108.8 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 11-24-2012 at 10:40 PM.

"The hills are alive..."

Patsy Burt's McLaren was a regular on the hillclimb scene. Shelsey Walsh.
    Name:  165 _0723_99 Mclaren.jpg
Views: 2776
Size:  73.0 KB

The late Ashley Cleave's 1937 Morris Special. According to a recent UK magazine, this car is now being restored. Prescott. PS: Now in touch with the new owner (Dec 2018)
    Name:  171_0502_006 Morris.jpg
Views: 2857
Size:  86.9 KB

This Bentley Special was owned and raced by Alec Rivers-Fletcher, probably better known as the PRO for BRM. Probably less well known is that his next door neighbour at one stage, was the car mad British comic, the late Sir Norman Wisdom, who made an unscheduled appearance in one of Alec's home movies! Alec was a regular presenter of slide shows to car clubs and I remember well, my father taking me to Mansfield to see one. Outside was his modified Mk2 Jaguar, louvred bonnet, woodrim wheeel etc. Picture taken in the paddock of the Prescott Hillclimb.
    Name:  171_0502_167 Bentley.jpg
Views: 2800
Size:  156.3 KB

Not a hillclimb, (this time) but the Cadwell 'mountain' was a great feature of this track, often called the UK's mini Nurburgring. Pre '57 races were very popular with Morris Minors and Austin A35's doing battle with Mk1 Jaguars and Ford Zepyhrs, with able support from MG Magnettes, Standard Ensigns and even a P4 Rover. With the proliferation of older cars in NZ, its a pity that the same didn't take off here. NZ Pre 65's are racers, whereas the UK pre 57's were very much road cars.
    Name:  177 cadwell guess.jpg
Views: 2730
Size:  80.1 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 03-05-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Although the programme always used to state the driver's name as "Spotty Smith", the real name was Tony Banccroft. TVR at Prescott again. I'd have to say that the annual Bugatti/Ferrari owner's club hillclimb is a must attend event that tends to get overlooked these days, with the obvious emphasis on Goodwood.
    Name:  170_05 Check 181.jpg
Views: 2875
Size:  82.9 KB

7 litre Skoda anyone? As mentioned before, the UK special saloons rules insisted on engine and gearbox in the original location and Skoda's proved an ideal base. Cadwell again - another UK venue well worth a visit, though Lincolnshire doesn't attract many NZ tourists. Pity really, as the (fresh) fish chips and mushy peas at the sea front at Skegness, are to die for! Four pounds 55p when we called in June - say $10?
    Name:  178 Not Sure 009.jpg
Views: 3473
Size:  77.5 KB
    Love the TVR Griffith.

Re the Skoda, what sort of suspension/brakes etc would have been used on this car? I know many of these cars were built using single seater components, often from cars that were a couple of years old, so they could be picked up on the cheap and scavenged. Fantastic little car. Does it still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Silverstone 1973, F1 meeting.
    Name:  173_0714_83b.jpg
Size:  117.1 KB

I only managed the Richard Seaman Trophy races at Oulton Park the once, and it appears that maybe dust correction should have been applied when this negative was scanned... Big old cars with even bigger engines may not be the fastest round a race track, but the spectacle is more important than the speed - in my book anyway.
    Name:  175_0614_14.jpg
Size:  152.5 KB

April 1979 at Donington and the local super saloon hero, Mick Hill, in his latest Skoda. I think Mick's creations, from his first Jaguar engined Ford Anglia, through Capris, VW and Skodas, were all worth watching - and he wasn't too bad on the Scalextric either... (More of that anon)
    Name:  179_0415_24.jpg
Views: 3216
Size:  100.1 KB
    Loving these pics Ray. How did the Aston perform? Was this powered by the same V8 motor used in 1967 in the Lola T70 coupes?

Mick Hill raced some fascinating Special Saloons. Several of his cars are featured here: http://www.racing70s.pwp.blueyonder....menusaloon.htm

I think that the Aston was built for Le Mans (by Robin Hamilton?) - maybe John Dennehy can fill in some details? Picture taken at the same time as the Decadanet, as per earlier pics, so maybe Howard also has recollections?

Incidentally, the first automatic I ever drove was the boss's DBS Aston Vantage, returning from Leeds after its first 3000 mile service. I have never forgotten that thrill of accelerating briskly from 100mph to 120mph - until the fuel gauge headed towards empty at an equally brisk rate and I didn't have much cash with me for fuel. Running a 998cc Mini Cooper at the time, that was a different beast altogether, but I soon adapted.

When it comes to the technical aspects of the super saloons, or indeed, any car, I am the wrong person to ask.
    Last edited by ERC; 09-09-2015 at 07:40 AM.