Thread: "Production Supercars" of the late 70's/early 80's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Rellum, these are REALLY cool, i remember all this!! i just luv how original looking the cars are, fantastic!! were did we all go wrong(or rite to some) but from memory it was Pullman that stretch the rules with his falcoon and ruined it for everyone when he spaced framed the front and made it look like "Darth Vaders" rocket!!

I first started racing around 94/5 just after Baypark closed and everyone went to Taupo, Millsy and gang with alot of these left over cars!! i remember Wes Kidby's Torana and it was fast and Paul Burnet racing a Charger, wait till i see him next, LOL

Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Hi Rellum, these are REALLY cool, i remember all this!! i just luv how original looking the cars are, fantastic!! were did we all go wrong(or rite to some) but from memory it was Pullman that stretch the rules with his falcoon and ruined it for everyone when he spaced framed the front and made it look like "Darth Vaders" rocket!!

I first started racing around 94/5 just after Baypark closed and everyone went to Taupo, Millsy and gang with alot of these left over cars!! i remember Wes Kidby's Torana and it was fast and Paul Burnet racing a Charger, wait till i see him next, LOL

Dale M
    I think Pullman modified his car to go Sports Sedan racing in the early 90s. By that stage I think the Production Supercar thing had all but closed shop.

What happened to that John Pope XC hardtop?

Yes Veens car is the Francevic car (I always think of it as the Lendich car - may have been the sponser). John Popes XC (it originally started life as an XA (had the GT front etc (may have even been a GT) was sold to a guy in Thames (I think) who was going to turn it back into a road car but I'm not sure if that ever happened. Wes Kidby started racing in a XBGT sedan but the power was slightly to much for him so he stepped down to the XU1 to acclimatise himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellum View Post
    Yes Veens car is the Francevic car (I always think of it as the Lendich car - may have been the sponser). John Popes XC (it originally started life as an XA (had the GT front etc (may have even been a GT) was sold to a guy in Thames (I think) who was going to turn it back into a road car but I'm not sure if that ever happened. Wes Kidby started racing in a XBGT sedan but the power was slightly to much for him so he stepped down to the XU1 to acclimatise himself.
    I was cruising though trade me the other week and there was an coupe for sale.
    My first thought was that it looked abit like John Popes.
    Not sure if its still on there as i cannot seam to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I think Pullman modified his car to go Sports Sedan racing in the early 90s. By that stage I think the Production Supercar thing had all but closed shop.

What happened to that John Pope XC hardtop?
    Pulmans car is (still) owned by Ivan Bevins - he bought the car a few years ago from someone in Northland if I remember rightly. The car has been for sale a couple of times in recent years. It sill looks exactly the same as when it raced as a Sports Sedan in the early 1990's. I'd like to know what happened to the Pope car too. There are a few others that I remember too, but dont know who owned them, there was a XAGT 4 door painted a very distinctive shade of light green metallic, a green XBGT 4 door, and then there were the succession of coupes and 4 doors run by Kirk Benge.....Keith Rennies XU1 was a fantastic car too. Although not a V8, whatever happened to the "SAMURI" 240Z that used to run the Penzoil Production Supercar days too???

After I finished racing it I sold all the race parts off it and the body as a rolling body to a guy in Thames I think it was. He said he was going to make it back into a road car as it was a genuine XA GT.

Name:  Sheweiry Falcon Puke 1976 shrunk.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  122.3 KBI first raced the ex Francevic Falcon in Castrol GTX and after that series finished I ran it in Production Supercars (photo thanks to
    Ross Cammick)

When the Falcon Cobras came out in 78 I thought they were the prettiest cars I had ever seen and so as I couldn't afford one I built one up using an XA luxury V8 Fairmont I got for $4200.00. I took the front sheetmetal off and replaced it after selling it in "The Herald" for brand new panels that I got with the help of my buddy Norris Miles from McMillan Ford for the same money. I painted it over Xmas in my dads garage, bought a 351C 4V from Segedins and changed it to HO specs and put in a toploader I bought from Barry Searches Gotina Sports sedan and ran that in Production Supercars Name:  Sheweiry Cobra shrunk.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  101.5 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    When the Falcon Cobras came out in 78 I thought they were the prettiest cars I had ever seen and so as I couldn't afford one I built one up using an XA luxury V8 Fairmont I got for $4200.00. I took the front sheetmetal off and replaced it after selling it in "The Herald" for brand new panels that I got with the help of my buddy Norris Miles from McMillan Ford for the same money. I painted it over Xmas in my dads garage, bought a 351C 4V from Segedins and changed it to HO specs and put in a toploader I bought from Barry Searches Gotina Sports sedan and ran that in Production Supercars Name:  Sheweiry Cobra shrunk.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  101.5 KB
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Some parts get around.. that Top Loader was made up from a wrecked one ex USA with all lugs broken off front of main case, case was replaced with one from ex Francevic F/Lane, then later had internals swapped with those from an early FE trans to get close ratio gear set, it then served in both my MKII & MKIV OSCA Cortinas before the rolling MKIV was sold to McElrae who had a mainshaft snap at Timaru and I just happened to be at the meet & got hi-jacked by Rod to swap in the replacement mainshaft- from Rods extensive tool kit... 1 chippies hammer, two phillips screwdrivers, a couple of plain screwdrivers and a couple of cresents, ~ 1hr to strip & reassemble to get ready for last race only for the throttle cable to break. Pity the poor guy who had to rebuild it from there, I had to do a couple of 'uglies' to get the allen screws out of the shifter rails.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 12-06-2016 at 08:33 AM.

Heres another in black and white with another one of those pesky chargers I had just got byName:  Shewiery-and-Snooze-Charger shrunk.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  91.7 KB

Glenn Allingham owned that Allan Ferguson Torana for a while, and sold it to someone in Asia.

definitally "wrong direction"
    Andall this gear looked always seemed to be the best at baypark

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post

Dale M