Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: "Production Supercars" of the late 70's/early 80's

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Great shots Milan, who is the Farina?
    I think that is Mike Moore - he, Bryce Platt and Trevor McLean had some epic battles at club circuits in the mid 70's

I remember that meeting, I got $40 for 3rd place which from memory paid for my entry fee, and I think this was the meeting we sat on the grid for qtr of an hr while they repossessed the charger (pink if I recall right) and the driver Alan Scott had a yellow race suit with white rimmed sunglasses. He was a builder (sort of) and I ended up doing some electrical work on a complex he was involved in with a woman lawyer partner at birkenhead and they went bust owing us subbies!!!

Name:  img036new.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  121.5 KBName:  img037new.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  161.8 KBName:  img038new.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  172.6 KBName:  img039.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  108.8 KBName:  img041new.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  178.0 KB

Hi Steve,
    I have found some old photos of your e49 taken during those golden days of production supercar racing. Although the car is a factory limelight car, it was painted this darker metallic green prior to been first raced by Allan Scott. The car was later owned by Mick Quinn and repainted hemi orange and not the incorrectly stated magenta color that it appears to be in photo #7 above. I brought the car off Mick in 1981 and raced it for the next 3 or 4 years. Included are photos of Bruces falcon Trevs e49 and my Hemi Orange ( ex Green ) e49. Regards Tony.

e49Tonye49;
    In 3rd photo is that Mick Quinn in the red/black Camaro, if it is he used this car for all sorts of events and ended in a paddock and car coming 2nd off in the Hamilton Tarmac.
    Last photo no.62 Falcon is Gary Bromley I think, he had a few quick Falcons. It looks like Club Curcuit Puke

Quote Originally Posted by e49tonye49 View Post
    Name:  img036new.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  121.5 KBName:  img037new.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  161.8 KBName:  img038new.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  172.6 KBName:  img039.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  108.8 KBName:  img041new.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  178.0 KB

Hi Steve,
    I have found some old photos of your e49 taken during those golden days of production supercar racing. Although the car is a factory limelight car, it was painted this darker metallic green prior to been first raced by Allan Scott. The car was later owned by Mick Quinn and repainted hemi orange and not the incorrectly stated magenta color that it appears to be in photo #7 above. I brought the car off Mick in 1981 and raced it for the next 3 or 4 years. Included are photos of Bruces falcon Trevs e49 and my Hemi Orange ( ex Green ) e49. Regards Tony.
    Wow, these are SO cool! Thanks heaps Tony. Got any more?

After I finished racing it I sold all the race parts off it and the body as a rolling body to a guy in Thames I think it was. He said he was going to make it back into a road car as it was a genuine XA GT.

Name:  Sheweiry Falcon Puke 1976 shrunk.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  122.3 KBI first raced the ex Francevic Falcon in Castrol GTX and after that series finished I ran it in Production Supercars (photo thanks to
    Ross Cammick)

When the Falcon Cobras came out in 78 I thought they were the prettiest cars I had ever seen and so as I couldn't afford one I built one up using an XA luxury V8 Fairmont I got for $4200.00. I took the front sheetmetal off and replaced it after selling it in "The Herald" for brand new panels that I got with the help of my buddy Norris Miles from McMillan Ford for the same money. I painted it over Xmas in my dads garage, bought a 351C 4V from Segedins and changed it to HO specs and put in a toploader I bought from Barry Searches Gotina Sports sedan and ran that in Production Supercars Name:  Sheweiry Cobra shrunk.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  101.5 KB

Heres another in black and white with another one of those pesky chargers I had just got byName:  Shewiery-and-Snooze-Charger shrunk.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  91.7 KB

These are awesome photos George. What happened to the Cobra replica?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    These are awesome photos George. What happened to the Cobra replica?
    Well I think I first raced the rep in 1979 and in 1983 I was on my way back from a race in Taupo and saw a genuine Cobra (#211) for sale at Gary Thiefs, oops I mean Kieths in Hamilton with $20K on the window. I was out of the car immediately, and the next thing you know a deal had been done for $19K. I had the 2 sitting side by side on my drive at my first home in Lynfield for a few weeks while I swapped all the race bits over to the real Cobra and put the other stuff in the replica. I sold the replica to Julian Litherland who worked in the parts shop at Segedins for $17K. So Steve it only cost me $2K to trade up to the real deal!!!

Wow, that is amazing! You did well George. $19K was a huge amount of money back in 1983!

This photo of the Cobra at Baypark shows the one and only time I actually got some sponsorship. I had started to do a little work on the suspension by then although it was just Konis all round and bigger front bar, a rear bar and eurothane in a few joints. Trevor Mclean had a big say in the rules and we all had to run on the 15x8 rims (that were the biggest you could fit on a Charger)Name:  Cob BP c 001.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  85.8 KB

This is one of the first times I ran the genuine Cobra (minus front spoiler that day) as you can see by the different number plate and the rear side indicator is horizontal instead of vertical on the replicaName:  Cob gen.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  41.2 KB

That day I think I clocked a 1.10 or 11 on slicks around there where as now days to basically the same set of rules but on 180 tread wear road tyres my best time around the old circuit was 1.06.33 and the new layout 1.16.2. Wish I had have known back then what I know now haaaa

Here she is today sitting on the dummy grid as last raced at November Puke ACC meeting. The wheels now days are Magnesium BBS racing rims 17x13 on the rear and 17x11 front. Name:  Cob R2 16 shrunk.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  91.2 KB

And an action shot through the new chicane on the back straightName:  Capture8 shrunk.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  64.1 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    When the Falcon Cobras came out in 78 I thought they were the prettiest cars I had ever seen and so as I couldn't afford one I built one up using an XA luxury V8 Fairmont I got for $4200.00. I took the front sheetmetal off and replaced it after selling it in "The Herald" for brand new panels that I got with the help of my buddy Norris Miles from McMillan Ford for the same money. I painted it over Xmas in my dads garage, bought a 351C 4V from Segedins and changed it to HO specs and put in a toploader I bought from Barry Searches Gotina Sports sedan and ran that in Production Supercars Name:  Sheweiry Cobra shrunk.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  101.5 KB
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Some parts get around.. that Top Loader was made up from a wrecked one ex USA with all lugs broken off front of main case, case was replaced with one from ex Francevic F/Lane, then later had internals swapped with those from an early FE trans to get close ratio gear set, it then served in both my MKII & MKIV OSCA Cortinas before the rolling MKIV was sold to McElrae who had a mainshaft snap at Timaru and I just happened to be at the meet & got hi-jacked by Rod to swap in the replacement mainshaft- from Rods extensive tool kit... 1 chippies hammer, two phillips screwdrivers, a couple of plain screwdrivers and a couple of cresents, ~ 1hr to strip & reassemble to get ready for last race only for the throttle cable to break. Pity the poor guy who had to rebuild it from there, I had to do a couple of 'uglies' to get the allen screws out of the shifter rails.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 12-06-2016 at 08:33 AM.

Thats such a cool story! I love this stuff.

Well if its the same box then you did a pretty good job of it then Jac Mac because its still in the car, still goin strong and before each race I leave the pits sideways onto the track. I can break most things but I have never broken a toploader. Most of my competitors have pulled them out and run a lighter Super T10. They usually break and I just keep on goin!! Jim had replaced the Sidchromes Toploader with an iron case super T10 and it was nothing but trouble so I pulled it out put in a close ratio toploader and have never had to touch it!! To finish first, first you must finish.