Thread: "Production Supercars" of the late 70's/early 80's

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Production Supercars" of the late 70's/early 80's

Hi all. I have been following many interesting discussions for many months on this site but have only recently become a member. An era of particular interest to me is the ‘Production Supercars’ of the late 70’s /early 80’s. Post GTX days there was, I guess, a bit of a void in what we would call now Muscle Cars and Production Supercars had splendid fields and great racing – this was my initial exposure to motorsport and my interest grew from there. However I have seen very little written about these cars and drivers.
    The current “Historic Muscle Cars’ are very similar in spec. and intent of those cars, although like any motorsport the cars evolved and got faster. In the earlier years I remember Trevor McLean in his E49 being quite dominant (his brothers raced as well –Bruce in a blue XB Fairmont and Steve also in a Charger). In latter years Peter Meadows in his L34 (ex Jim Richards) was a front runner along with Mick Quinn in a late 70’s Camaro. Other stalwarts of the class include George Shewiery in his Falcons, Gary Bromley also in a Falcon. Bob Cullinane raced a black HQ Monaro. Paul Burnet (still racing today) in a Charger. MacDonald in a V8 Charger. There were a couple of XU1’s. I remember fields of 20-30 cars at Baypark, but a lot of names escape me now.
    Attached Images Attached Images