Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Production Supercars" of the late 70's/early 80's

The original Production Supercar class came to a close in the early 80’s and then was resurrected again in the late 80’s by a few enthusiasts looking for somewhere to race their musclecars, there was no association with the earlier class just an adoption of the name as people were familiar with it, although not many (if any) cars raced in both eras, although some of the cars that raced in the NZ production classes, post “Production Supercars”, joined the second version eg. Veen Smiths SS Commodore (one of the NZ specials and currently being restored). Tim Buxton in the ex Leo Leonard XD (which ultimately got converted to a Sports Sedan as Steve pointed out and the Midgely brothers in the ex Pinepac XE Falcon (which unfortunately got stolen some years later).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rellum; 11-07-2012 at 10:42 AM.

At the old Taupo hairpin Craig Pulmans XBGT in the lead.

Alan Fergusons Torana

Ian Magees E38 Charger

John Popes XC Falcon Coupe

John Turners Torana - subsequently raced for many years by Wes Kidby (Wes painted it Orange (Lone oranger).

Vern Mullers XAGT (err.. that's me) - owned it for 20 years then sold in a fit of madness (it's now back in Aus).

Phil Schuberts XAGT Coupe (RPO83 I believe) - not a very good photo but the spray shows all the aerodynamics (free wind tunnel testing?).

Keith Rennies XU1 - fiarly highly developed car for its time

Richard Shermans factory L34 - its factory colour was a burnt orange (I had some idea it was a special Bob Jane colour (?).

Tony Saggers L34 - another factory car - this was originally raced in South Island Production Saloons.

Wes Kidbys XU1, another very quick XU1.

Vern Mullers Coupe in XA guise.

Vern Mullers Coupe in XC Cobra guise.

Veen Smiths SS Commodore

The 2nd phase of Production Supercars imploded in the early 90's and we went classic racing instead this is at Whenuapai with the Andersons Camaro and Mustang.

Hi Rellum, these are REALLY cool, i remember all this!! i just luv how original looking the cars are, fantastic!! were did we all go wrong(or rite to some) but from memory it was Pullman that stretch the rules with his falcoon and ruined it for everyone when he spaced framed the front and made it look like "Darth Vaders" rocket!!

I first started racing around 94/5 just after Baypark closed and everyone went to Taupo, Millsy and gang with alot of these left over cars!! i remember Wes Kidby's Torana and it was fast and Paul Burnet racing a Charger, wait till i see him next, LOL

Dale M

Wow, these photos are amazing Vern! How did you get hold of them all? I have to say, your Falcon looked awesome when it was an XA.

I didn't realise that red/white/yellow Commodore of Veen Smith was one of the special batch of 30 SS cars. But now I look at it, it has the exact same paint scheme of the Robbie Francevic car, although on Francevics its blue where on Veens its yellow. Is this the same car?

Awesome pics, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Hi Rellum, these are REALLY cool, i remember all this!! i just luv how original looking the cars are, fantastic!! were did we all go wrong(or rite to some) but from memory it was Pullman that stretch the rules with his falcoon and ruined it for everyone when he spaced framed the front and made it look like "Darth Vaders" rocket!!

I first started racing around 94/5 just after Baypark closed and everyone went to Taupo, Millsy and gang with alot of these left over cars!! i remember Wes Kidby's Torana and it was fast and Paul Burnet racing a Charger, wait till i see him next, LOL

Dale M
    I think Pullman modified his car to go Sports Sedan racing in the early 90s. By that stage I think the Production Supercar thing had all but closed shop.

What happened to that John Pope XC hardtop?

Glenn Allingham owned that Allan Ferguson Torana for a while, and sold it to someone in Asia.