Name:  TM2 1.jpg
Views: 3759
Size:  113.5 KB

I’ve been working with New Zealand motorsport photographer Terry Marshall for probably ten years or more. It was through putting together a historical piece for a magazine we first made contact, and I was completely amazed by the quality and creativity of Terrys work. He manages to capture the very best from a race car at speed, bringing alive the magic of the moment, and holding it forever. He also somehow manages to capture the human nature of the sport, the emotional highs and lows that come with it.

Terry is incredibly dedicated, having travelled the length and breadth of the country every season to snap, forever on film, the best moments in New Zealand motorsport. He began motorsport photography at the 1964 New Zealand Grand Prix, at Pukekohe. “It was the year Bruce McLaren won in the slimline Cooper”, he relates, “I remember I had somehow got to the front of the car before Bruce got out. I still have the blurry unusable negative to prove it”.

The enthusiasm is still there, and TM still travels to capture those moments. Over the years his work has appeared in numerous publications, both magazines and books, and Looking Back, The Motorsport Photography Of Terry Marshall combines all his personal favourite photos in a beautiful hardback.

Terrys work is familiar to many NZ and Australian motorsport enthusiasts, in no small part thanks to the fact he took the time to archive his collection so specific images from specific events can be plucked out as required at a moments notice. To be able to do this plays a huge role in the shape an article takes, as the text needs to intertwine with the images to fully bring a story across in the best possible way. This, combined with the quality of his work, means Terrys photography gets wide-spread coverage.

TM has a passion for single seaters, first and foremost, be it Tasman cars, F5000, Formula Pacific/Atlantic, or Formula Toyota, he loves the cut and thrust of the best drivers of the era performing in the best cars. And some of his most spectacular work is from his dedication for capturing these machines as they’re manhandled to the very edge of their capabilities.

Motorsport is about emotion, and Terry is one of the very best at capturing that emotion, and freeze-framing it forever.