Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Vintage Aviator - WW1 Airshow

Article: The Vintage Aviator - WW1 Airshow

Name:  IMG_5826.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  121.7 KB

This weekend my partner Helen and I attended a fantastic WW1 Airshow put on by The Vintage Aviator, at Masterton Aerodrome, in New Zealand. I actually wasn't all that keen to go, I had so many other things that needed doing, and my knowledge of WW1 fighter planes is limited at best. But I'm so glad I made the effort. What an absolutely magic event.

What was so captivating about this event was that the planes themselves were so incredibly packed with character and individuality. The show was only on for three hours, and there were flying displays virtually throughout, but even if not a single plane had left the ground, I'd still have had a great time, because the planes themselves were completely mesmerising. The level of detail in each was superb, and each was resplendent in its own unique war paint; as the announcers said, in WW1, planes didn't have to be painted in a specific colour decided upon by that countries airforce. Therefore, each was a mad and unique combination of anything the pilot wanted.

In many ways, these planes reminded me of the race cars that competed before, and immediately following WW1, and in particular, those that raced on the "Murderdromes", the incredible American board tracks of the same era, that I wrote about way back when The Roaring Season first began (see here) that were, in many ways, as dangerous as flying a WW1 fighter place in combat. These planes were as beautiful, artistic, colourful and whacky as the race cars of the day, and certainly as charismatic.

What an amazing way to spend a few hours on a sunny afternoon. I'll definitely go again.

I took a bunch of pics at the event, but have to admit I'm not a very good photographer, but if you guys want to see more I'm happy to post them.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Post them
    Roger

Do it! I'm a sucker for all that classic and vintage stuff.

If you don't post them you will be excommunicated from TRS

OK, here goes:

Albatros DVa

Name:  IMG_5792.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  129.2 KB

Fokker DVIII. Note single wing plane, which came in right at the end of the War.

Name:  IMG_5793.jpg
Views: 2443
Size:  122.8 KB

Fokker DVII

Name:  IMG_5794.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  127.0 KB

Amazing Fokker Triplanes. The Red Baron flew a Fokker Triplane. Check out the fantastic paint schemes.

Name:  IMG_5798.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  126.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5796.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  144.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5797.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  145.8 KB

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was there too.

Name:  IMG_5802.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  160.8 KB

Give yourself some credit Steve - there's nothing wrong with your photography and your images are terrific. Whats the story with these planes - are they locally owned? I presume they are replicas but are they full size or 3/4? Many years ago I went to visit an airshow of the Shuttleworth Collection at Biggleswade aerodrome in England. That too was a fascinating glimpse into the past.

Thanks Nigel. The airshow was put on by The Vintage Aviator, who build and restore WW1 fighter planes. Some are accurate replicas, some are the genuine article. Likewise, some are NZ owned, some have international owners. The planes aren't all related to The Vintage Aviator, many have been restored/built elsewhere, but these guys are responsible for putting the show on.

They have an excellent website with lots of info: www.thevintageaviator.co.nz

Sopwith Triplane

Name:  IMG_5806.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  130.5 KB

Nieuport 11 Bebe. Paint scheme is based on the Italian Nieuport flown by Alvaro Leonardi, the monkey image is that of the "Happy Hooligan" comic strip character. Note the machine gun on top of the top wing which heavily disadvantaged this plane. By this stage the Germans had mastered the art of the interrupter gear, where the pilot could fire a machine through the spinning propeller blade without hitting the blade.

Name:  IMG_5807.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  129.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5809.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  130.1 KB

My favourite plane at the show, the mad little Sopwith Camel. This plane is very short, which meant it could out-manoeuvre the enemy, but because it was so short it was incredibly difficult to fly. Its powered by a big rotary motor in which the crankshaft is fixed and the cylinders and prop rotate around it. It makes a fabulous noise, a loud TAT TAT TAT TAT TAT. The motor is always on full throttle when switched on, and the pilot controls it with a selector switch which cuts the ignition to some cylinders, so basically it has full, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 throttle, all controlled by a switch. When flying it goes TAT TAT TAT TAT TAT, then goes almost silent as the pilot cuts the power, then comes back on again. As if that weren't challenging enough, the rotation of the motor means it is constantly trying to pull to the right, so really difficult when trying to take off.

Name:  IMG_5817.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  121.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5813.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  128.7 KB

Fabulous Aircraft and beautifully photographed and described,NZ has obviously the foremost collection of WW1 era aircraft in existance.

Great thread!

Pete.

Fabulous shots Steve. The other great interest in my life - vintage aviation. Did you get any shots of the SE 5a's

Most of those aircraft are owned by the Vintage Aviator which is owned by Peter Jackson. I am always happy when he makes a mint out of his films because I know that a fair chunk of it will end up back in vintage aviation. He is currently working on a remake of the Dambusters movie and has several full scale replicas of Lancasters in the country.

I see recently that the Vintage Aviator sold three WW I aircraft to the RAF Museum in the UK and they are rapt with the quality and visual presentation of the aircraft. I believe that all three aircraft will be flown first before going on static display in the museum. We are extremely lucky in this country as most of these aircraft are only flying in NZ. Much like the Mosquito at the moment. Saw it flying over Lake Karapiro at the weekend and what a sight it made.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  2012_Hood_052b.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  143.8 KB
    Airco DH.5 chased by a Pfalz D.III.

Name:  2012_Hood_078b.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  77.5 KB
    Pfalz & a pair of Albatros'.

Name:  2012_Hood_209b.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  117.5 KB
    Sopwith Camel vs Fokker D.VIII. Even the show commentators said that looked pretty close.

Weekend Warrior
    Gee, I need to get out from under that rock, I only live up the road and never knew it was on. Thanks for the pictures, its hard to not appreciate the mechanics of those old beasts!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Was Biggles there? I used to love reading all the Biggles books when I was a kid about his exploits in his Sopwith Camel. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Name:  2012_Hood_052b.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  143.8 KB
    Airco DH.5 chased by a Pfalz D.III.

Name:  2012_Hood_078b.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  77.5 KB
    Pfalz & a pair of Albatros'.

Name:  2012_Hood_209b.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  117.5 KB
    Sopwith Camel vs Fokker D.VIII. Even the show commentators said that looked pretty close.
    Wow, these are amazing photos. Thanks for posting them.