Thread: Article: The Vintage Aviator - WW1 Airshow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fabulous Aircraft and beautifully photographed and described,NZ has obviously the foremost collection of WW1 era aircraft in existance.

Great thread!

Pete.

Fabulous shots Steve. The other great interest in my life - vintage aviation. Did you get any shots of the SE 5a's

Most of those aircraft are owned by the Vintage Aviator which is owned by Peter Jackson. I am always happy when he makes a mint out of his films because I know that a fair chunk of it will end up back in vintage aviation. He is currently working on a remake of the Dambusters movie and has several full scale replicas of Lancasters in the country.

I see recently that the Vintage Aviator sold three WW I aircraft to the RAF Museum in the UK and they are rapt with the quality and visual presentation of the aircraft. I believe that all three aircraft will be flown first before going on static display in the museum. We are extremely lucky in this country as most of these aircraft are only flying in NZ. Much like the Mosquito at the moment. Saw it flying over Lake Karapiro at the weekend and what a sight it made.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Fabulous shots Steve. The other great interest in my life - vintage aviation. Did you get any shots of the SE 5a's

Most of those aircraft are owned by the Vintage Aviator which is owned by Peter Jackson. I am always happy when he makes a mint out of his films because I know that a fair chunk of it will end up back in vintage aviation. He is currently working on a remake of the Dambusters movie and has several full scale replicas of Lancasters in the country.

I see recently that the Vintage Aviator sold three WW I aircraft to the RAF Museum in the UK and they are rapt with the quality and visual presentation of the aircraft. I believe that all three aircraft will be flown first before going on static display in the museum. We are extremely lucky in this country as most of these aircraft are only flying in NZ. Much like the Mosquito at the moment. Saw it flying over Lake Karapiro at the weekend and what a sight it made.
    Thanks for that Mike. I did wonder if The Vintage Aviator might have been Peter Jacksons, I knew he had a company in Wellington that built/restored WW1 planes, but wasn't sure if this was him or now. He plays a very low-key role. Do you know if the three Fokker Triplanes posted here are his? Yes there were a couple of SE 5a's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks for that Mike. I did wonder if The Vintage Aviator might have been Peter Jacksons, I knew he had a company in Wellington that built/restored WW1 planes, but wasn't sure if this was him or now. He plays a very low-key role. Do you know if the three Fokker Triplanes posted here are his? Yes there were a couple of SE 5a's there.
    As far as I am aware TVAL does own several Triplanes but don't ask me which ones. We must have one of the biggest populations of these aircraft in the world. TVAL is a difficult place to find out any news of what they are up to - it is a closed shop and you only find out when they register their latest aircraft with CAA.

A visit to their website is an eye opener. They make everything including original WW I engines, all the guns etc. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they make instruments as well.

Being tied up with the film industry they have access to some amazing artists and the aging process that they achieve with paint will blow your sox off. I have had a close look at a couple of their WW I tanks and the aging process that they achieve with layers of paint is staggering.
    Last edited by kiwi285; 11-15-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    Fabulous Aircraft and beautifully photographed and described,NZ has obviously the foremost collection of WW1 era aircraft in existance.

Great thread!

Pete.
    Thanks Pete, glad you're enjoying them. I know you're a bit of an enthusiast of old war planes.