Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Speedway saloons from the late 60's to the mid 70's, any pictures, memories...

Phil Joyce was up in the Bay of islands last week at Ron Banners funeral, Phil is looking real good and doesn't seem to age. Has a daughter in Kerikeri.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Phil Joyce was up in the Bay of islands last week at Ron Banners funeral, Phil is looking real good and doesn't seem to age. Has a daughter in Kerikeri.
    Hi Rod, you didn't to mention that I was trying to touch base with him did you? His grandson pm'd me last January to which I responded but have heard nothing since.
    Dave

Sorry mate I didn't, thought they had contacted you.
    PM me again I will try and pass through Frank again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Sorry mate I didn't, thought they had contacted you.
    PM me again I will try and pass through Frank again.
    Done

Cheers Dave

Weekend Warrior
    Name:  XP.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  27.2 KB
    I am searching for old Speedway Saloon Cars and related parts to buy, preserve and save. Any condition, anything considered. P.M me please with offers or leads.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fhuket View Post
    Name:  XP.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  27.2 KB
    Jumbo Berryman #11 ?..........., ..........., Peter Woods Mustang in 4th.

Weekend Warrior
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by fhuket; 05-22-2016 at 07:38 AM.
    I am searching for old Speedway Saloon Cars and related parts to buy, preserve and save. Any condition, anything considered. P.M me please with offers or leads.

Weekend Warrior
    John "Jumbo" Berryman's first Falcon coupe. 63 Falcon Sprint. Woodford Glen Speedway, Christchurch Late 1970,s.
    Name:  First coupe 2.jpg
Views: 1744
Size:  38.1 KBName:  First Coupe.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  68.2 KB

Weekend Warrior
    Name:  First coupe 3.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  132.5 KB

Weekend Warrior
    Name:  Jumbo_11.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  109.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Jumbo Berryman #11 ?..........., ..........., Peter Woods Mustang in 4th.
    That's Right Jac.
    Jumbo is my Father.
    He first raced a 56 Two Door Customline with Peter way back in the 70's and built and raced 5 early shaped Falcon Coupes after that. All Steel Bodies and cool looking. He sold them normally after a season or two to build another and try some new ideas. Had some great lessons from Peter and was awesome growing up in that era. I have some from Riverside and remember some good times at the Gore Motor Camp with all the people back then.

222 at Riverside RacewayName:  222.jpg
Views: 1537

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by worsel View Post
    Cool picture I have not seen before thanks Worsel. Do you have any others from that era ?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by worsel View Post
    Worsel, do you have any other speedway pics from the 1970s - 1990s? I'm writing a book about people in speedway and could really do with having a few more photos.

I have this copy of a news paper article which has some info on Allen Ford. He is my cousin and as a kid I remember visiting him working on his Mark 1 Zephyr in his parents garage in Onehunga. And have fond memories of siting with his parents in the middle of the main grandstand at Waikaraka park watching him race. Sorry the article is hard to read once reduced.
    Name:  img127 reduced.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  144.5 KBName:  img128 reduced.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  148.7 KB
    Last edited by Popey; 12-29-2016 at 08:53 AM.

not many of this model Monaro were out there- most had sedans.
    Is this John Haymans "Fred" ?

It is Allan Ford John, i may have some more of this car. There was another at Mount Maunganui (Riddell or Kiddell) i think.

Popey- when was this article dated, and in it did it say where the engine came from, also was it carbed or injected ?

Thats awesome Popey! Here is another from our Old Speedway Photos thread posted by 225sloper: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...peedway-Photos

Out of interest, how did the Monaro end up on the speedway? These were desirable cars back then. They usually only became speedway cars if they got wrecked as road cars, or stolen/recovered etc.

Name:  10329096_709821532390241_5648238063329491762_n.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  90.0 KB

John Hayman had the first NZ Monaro at Waikaraka.
    It had been stolen, stripped and the body bulldozed flat to hide it when it was buried.
    John got the body and jacked it back into shape , but rear window opening was always lower on one side.
    The Chev 350 motor from Graeme Harveys Elfin 400 went into it.
    Johns one was white, and I see the inside of Alans is white also.
    Can anyone confirm this was the same car, though probably Johns was rhd and here Alans is lhd.
    Ray Chatfield behind Alan- a very fast pedaller, then Ray Wrecker Wright.
    At this point in time it looks like top runners found driving position better on the passenger side, whereas earlier no one was concerned.
    Evan Watson built a HQ Monaro up from brand new panels from the GM dealership that I worked for.
    It was a space framed , but was told he had to put a normal floor in....project stalled for a while.
    Where have all these all cars gone...............? as if we dont know
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-29-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    John Hayman had the first NZ Monaro at Waikaraka.
    It had been stolen, stripped and the body bulldozed flat to hide it when it was buried.
    John got the body and jacked it back into shape , but rear window opening was always lower on one side.
    The Chev 350 motor from Graeme Harveys Elfin 400 went into it.
    Johns one was white, and I see the inside of Alans is white also.
    Can anyone confirm this was the same car, though probably Johns was rhd and here Alans is lhd.
    Ray Chatfield behind Alan- a very fast pedaller, then Ray Wrecker Wright.
    At this point in time it looks like top runners found driving position better on the passenger side, whereas earlier no one was concerned.
    Evan Watson built a HQ Monaro up from brand new panels from the GM dealership that I worked for.
    It was a space framed , but was told he had to put a normal floor in....project stalled for a while.
    Where have all these all cars gone...............? as if we dont know
    Great info John, i remember the story way back when I was a kid someone either in Hamilton or Auckland building a dirt track gen1 Camaro around a early Holden(HK/HG) shell that had been either stolen or wrecked and it cause a big kerfuffle. I guess we forget these days how hard it was to obtain, and how expensive cars were back then, just to purchase New was an issue requiring overseas funds, and some of these cars that hit the dirt were barely on the show room floor, quite impressive back then. And if it was American like a Mustang or Camaro well that was just "walking on the moon" stuff.