Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Cambridge Monaro

Semi-Pro Racer
    Myth is correct, wind tunnel tests over the years have well and truly put that one to bed, but there are a lot of non believers out there who will swear on their grandmothers grave that it works and that they have to do that to get the engine temp down, and I have found over the years, that most of those don't understand why the damm thing gets hot in the first place!
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Racer Rog View Post
    Myth is correct, wind tunnel tests over the years have well and truly put that one to bed, but there are a lot of non believers out there who will swear on their grandmothers grave that it works and that they have to do that to get the engine temp down, and I have found over the years, that most of those don't understand why the damm thing gets hot in the first place!
    Roger
    I don't want to buy into myth or not. Nathans comment which I quoted was a discussion starter about hinges. If anyone wants to quote windtunnels etc, that is fine, however unless the actual vehicle being brought into the topic has been tested the theory is invalid. And yes I have actually spent time with windtunnels. Incredibly small differences can negate previous ideas. Angle of rake of the car itself, windscreens, nose shapes all (and not exclusively) can throw all prior ideas out the window. Generalisations do not apply.

Happy to be wrong John. Wasn't Grant referring to having to close the gap in years gone by? Some rule that MANZ came up with about fluids escaping on to screens?

Quote Originally Posted by 928 View Post
    That old myth again? do people still think it works?

Don't think, know it works, did it years back. Sorry Rog.

Did it with Anglia (2Ltr) years ago and added a little lip on front of rear gap to assist. it certainly helped with flow of air through engine bay.

PS me and Mr Sprague discussed this on another thread last year with photos.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 06-13-2014 at 09:40 PM.

off to start prep for paint work John.....the underside ??, Cheers Bruce

Just a question John, are you allowed to race with that beautiful wood rim wheel ?. From memory they were the same as what I had in my 68 Vette.
    My Alfa 105 came with a Personel wood rim wheel and I had to replace it.....sold it to a guy restoring his 105 and regret it ever since.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Its the lip that most likely,did the trick as just raising it by it self often causes a vacuum, and also m,as the old fella said rake, screen angle would make a difference, but rule of thumb it doesn't work, unless youy doing other work in conjunction with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Don't think, know it works, did it years back. Sorry Rog.

Did it with Anglia (2Ltr) years ago and added a little lip on front of rear gap to assist. it certainly helped with flow of air through engine bay.

PS me and Mr Sprague discussed this on another thread last year with photos.

You right about the lip Rog. We did a little bit of playing around back then to try and sort out air etc. and when we put the little alloy lip across front of vent at same angle as windscreen and slightly enlargened the gap it made a difference, cheers

Semi-Pro Racer
    Found this amongst some scans of slides that my Brother sent me to try to clean up for him.

Bonnet might be flush John boy, but there is something poking through it that may be attached to the engine to help it breath and swallow. Remember this and it was bronze and it was fast and looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Rod- 4x 48 IDAs poking through then.
    I will still run this set up, but am not allowed to cut the bonnet as he did then.- fluids on windscreens sound familiar...............?
    No John, your Monaro is an original historic schedule K car with NZ race history so it can be how it ran in the day under the FIA GR 2 or 5 regs and still be eligible for HMC.

Its like Nigel MacDonald's Dawson 67 Mustang, they never came with front and rear spoilers on that model mustang(not until 69) but because his raced in NZ with this equipment period and is a real schedule K car he is allowed this, but you can't build one day and use these spoilers.

Dale M

Hi John.
    Did you see on Trade Me today a HG 350 Bathurst Monaro sold for $150,300.
    Good to see there is a solid following for these muscle Cars

That's amazing same owner for 40 years. Still paying off the Monaro, still working some weekends. I am having a hard time trying to find a set of Hustler wheels , Seems like everybody is after them.

I was lucky buying mine when the market was very low, about 3 years then it will be paid off. Great if you can find some hustler wheels. They would have to be 7 inch wide to fit inside the rear guards. Unless I take off the tramp rods then I could go wider,

Journeyman Racer
    An inquiry to anyone out there who can help please - I would like to contact Angus Cameron, that well known Monaro pilot from the Wellington are in the late 60s- early 70s.
    Any leads would be appreciated.
    If there are any Camerons in Ohariu Valley (Wellington) in the phone book that would be a good start

Journeyman Racer
    There was an Angus Cameron who used to hill climb a grey valiant in the mid 60s and boy did he throw that thing around. I have some great photos of him in that car at Houghton Bay and Palmer Head: I do not recall the Monaro

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    There was an Angus Cameron who used to hill climb a grey valiant in the mid 60s and boy did he throw that thing around. I have some great photos of him in that car at Houghton Bay and Palmer Head: I do not recall the Monaro
    He raced the Monaro at Baypark in the 1971 Glenvale 100. Retired lap 34 with brake problems.
    MOTORMAN, August, 1971

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    The same man. I too have some hillclimb photos. I don't think the Valiant ever had a wash probably because of the gravel roads in the valley which explains the driving style.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Have tried this area with directory service, nothing there, any of his old buddies from the Car Club reading this?
    John I have sent you a private message

Graeme