Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Cambridge Monaro

Ok, so I may as well go to work. No point risking a lovely car in that weather.
    B.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Scotty who ran the Meremere dragstrip for 8 years tells me there is very heavy rain at Hampton Downs area tomorrow- 30 mm on rain involved.
    The team pulled the plug on the Monaro going out there .
    Everyone else has been driving the car but me so far........

any photos Johny boy, love that car

World Champion
    John,
    I truly would love to attend and be there for this auspicious occasion. Perhaps at another time. All the best and stay safe.
    Cheers,
    Ken

Legendary line-up at Hampton Downs today. Angus Fogg photos:

Name:  22366729_10214625649020887_2605947939963675345_n.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  177.6 KB

Name:  22366800_10214625649820907_1188730646666179385_n.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  120.1 KB

It was a near perfect day at Hampton Down. I can't think of anything negative so it may well have been a perfect day.
    Caught up With Paul B and his wife Bibby, and had some great long chats, So neat to hear stories of cars being thoroughly well researched and built to very very high standards, as is Pauls' Falcon Sprint.

The line up of genuine period correct race cars was impressive and I think ever one had a great time. A few cars broke, but that goes with all aspects of motoring.

Thank you John McKechnie for your generosity , and thanks also to Angus Fogg who made it all so seamless, professional and thoroughly enjoyable.

Bruce.

Yes it was pretty much a perfect day & it was really good to see the Monaro in action

Name:  IMG_9625.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  144.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9626.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  146.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9627.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  131.8 KB

Great weather for you and your camera Nigel.

How did the Monaro go on debut John?

I don't think it completed one of the races. but was still running under its own power when I last saw it Steve. Nigel's pics are so much better than mine! Great stuff. I might have to invest in a better lens...

I did get a couple of pictures with both of John's cars on track at the same time. Still on the lap top being sorted before transferring to the PC.
    Last edited by ERC; 10-14-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Steve- Totally Fantastic and the sun was definitely shining for the Monaro and TACCOC.

Thanks to Angus Fogg being there attending to the various cars under his care, nothing was a problem-except fuel guage giving incorrect reading
    In the first race, I didnt have enough petrol in, and there was some starvation, so pulled back in to top up.
    Rest of the time was spent simply having fun ......best time was 1:24 BTW-much faster than the XA when I first started running it
    Craig, Bruce, Tony A and myself were going to all run together
    Tony A had brake probs in practice,
    Craig had clutch probs was hauled off, later was seen lighting up the Zephyrs tyres while tied on the trailer.
    All the stars were in alignment for Bruce, so I said go out and race.
    Great feeling having both cars reliable and able to run at Manfield.
    Definitely the Monaro is not the race car that the XA is,but racing is not what Historics are all about...I was more than 100% satisfied.
    It ticked all the boxes for all those interested, most memorable for me was Dave Graham -he was positively beaming with delight seeing it there finished and out on the track racing.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 10-14-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Steve- Totally Fantastic and the sun was definitely shining for the Monaro and TACCOC.

Thanks to Angus Fogg being there attending to the various cars under his care, nothing was a problem-except fuel guage giving incorrect reading
    In the first race, I didnt have enough petrol in, and there was some starvation, so pulled back in to top up.
    Rest of the time was spent simply having fun ......best time was 1:24 BTW-much faster than the XA when I first started running it
    Craig, Bruce, Tony A and myself were going to all run together
    Tony A had brake probs in practice,
    Craig had clutch probs was hauled off, later was seen lighting up the Zephyrs tyres while tied on the trailer.
    All the stars were in alignment for Bruce, so I said go out and race.
    Great feeling having both cars reliable and able to run at Manfield.
    Definitely the Monaro is not the race car that the XA is,but racing is not what Historics are all about...I was more than 100% satisfied.
    It ticked all the boxes for all those interested, most memorable for me was Dave Graham -he was positively beaming with delight seeing it there finished and out on the track racing.
    It was one of the best things I have seen in a long time. I grew up with these cars. Particularly Team Cambridge Racing Team. There were many different cars in these colours and to see one of the most iconic cars of that team back out on the track in its livery was spectacular to say the least. Well done John, you persistence and determination to see the project through to the end is nothing short of amazing. An absolute credit to you. regards, Dave Graham

Just for you John! I haven't started posting on my own thread as yet.

Name:  217_1014_180.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  116.9 KB

Name:  217_1014_205.JPG
Views: 737
Size:  114.6 KB

Name:  217_1014_207.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  118.2 KB

Thanks for these Ray, really neat. Bruce and i will get together with you to get the pdf and take some prints.
    Ahhh....at last clarity .
    Every time I get the Falcon back there are these mysterious unexplained flat spots, usually told- leaving the car standing too long when they are hot- now I know better.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 10-15-2017 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks for these Ray, really neat. Bruce and i will get together with you to get the pdf and take some prints.
    Ahhh....at last clarity .
    Every time I get the Falcon back there are these mysterious unexplained flat spots, usually told- leaving the car standing too long when they are hot- now I know better.
    It was that guy in the Belmont Coupe, he 'brake checked' me....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    It was that guy in the Belmont Coupe, he 'brake checked' me....
    WOW one race and you're a TRUE racer Bruce........lets "blame the other guy" ha ha...........you'll fit in perfectly.......hey that's a good time you done mate you're a natural............Dale M

the racing is over, and the car is now resting in my garage.
    I drove it into the same place as it was standing for all this time, yet now it is what I could only imagine and convince myself it would be
    Somebody who is close and knows what i have been through with the Monaro has just said this to me-

Apart from the immense feeling of satisfaction it must have been a somewhat surreal sensation owning, restoring and finally driving an actual childhood dream.

Yes, it is exactly what he says.
    The dream hasnt finished, the surreal- unreal, fantastic- part is that I now own and have driven my actual childhood dream.
    A car is a car when you can start it up and drive it,

you turn it on and it returns the favour

All the restoration work was never ever part of my dream
    Bruce will feel the same when he does the same in his Firebird.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 10-15-2017 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    WOW one race and you're a TRUE racer Bruce........lets "blame the other guy" ha ha...........you'll fit in perfectly.......hey that's a good time you done mate you're a natural............Dale M
    It is a well set up car and pretty easy to drive, it just needs to go on a diet.

B.

the racing is over, and the car is now resting in my garage.
    I drove it into the same place as it was standing for all this time, yet now it is what I could only imagine and convince myself it would be
    Somebody who is close and knows what i have been through with the Monaro has just said this to me-

Apart from the immense feeling of satisfaction it must have been a somewhat surreal sensation owning, restoring and finally driving an actual childhood dream.

Yes, it is exactly what he says.
    The dream hasnt finished, the surreal- unreal, fantastic- part is that I now own and have driven my actual childhood dream.
    A car is a car when you can start it up and drive it,

you turn it on and it returns the favour

All the restoration work was never ever part of my dream
    Bruce will feel the same when he does the same in his Firebird.
    You are so right John, Knowing what is waiting at the end drives the restorations. You have done a phenomenal job.
    You deserve all the kudos that comes your way.

Bruce.

It is a well set up car and pretty easy to drive, it just needs to go on a diet

Bruce- But there is no Diet Avgas................

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    Name:  IMG_9625.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  144.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9626.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  146.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9627.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  131.8 KB
    What superb photos of a superbly restored historic race car. Thank you Nigel. John, everyone who knew that car from its original racing days must be thrilled and amazed at the workmanship you have achieved. "Spinner" always favored the Camaros and I don't think this Monaro ever looked this good. That rear spoiler was worth the search ! Take good care of it my friend.
    Just one question; Are you letting "Grimmie" behind the wheel ?

(Ken H)