Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
David- you came into the Roaring Season saying your participation level in motorsport was low.
Guess what, you were the right man in the right place and this picture has made you a legend- colour pics of this car are few and far between.
"thought the Monaro the the most worthy car to use it on."- absolutely, especially if you saw it spinning at Wigram.
Give yourself a big pat on the back as this details from this pic definitely helps my restoration.
Just out of curiosity- what are the other 7 pics from Wigram about, do you still have them ?
John - I'm only just over a week away from my 67th birthday and you are the first person who has ever called me a legend (lol).

As for Wigram; some mates and I were on a 3 week camping holiday in the South Island (in a triple carbed Mk 2 Zephyr and my EH Holden) and we made sure we got back to Christchurch in good time for race day. We were in such good time we spent about 3 or 4 hours at the circuit on the friday ( practise day) where there was lots of activity, race cars parked all over the place and heaps of people milling around them. It was really hot too - we were Wellingtonians and unaccustomed to tempertures over about 20 degrees.

So we wandered about and I took photos of various cars when I could get a clear shot. One thing I'm fairly sure of, while we were there I never saw the Monaro. Would have got a shot of it if it had been. It might have turned up after we left - or not practised at all.

All I can remember about race day was standing in a sea of people and not seeing much at all, certainly not the Monaro spinning. Either Wigram wasn't much of a spectator circuit or we just found ourselves in the wrong place.

Our 20 year old neighbour Finn came over this evening and scanned the photos into my computer. When he comes back from racing motorbikes at Taupo this weekend I'll get him to post them up. You might be interested in a 3/4 rear view of the Coppins Camaro in Cambridge colours.
I was watching him doing the scanning and said "I suppose I should learn how to do this myself".
He said "don't bother, you can't teach old dogs new tricks"
That's the trouble with kids today - they've got no respect.

David