Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Cambridge Monaro

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Mate give Allen a ring ................
    Have had absolutely no luck getting mags off him.
    Russ is the man, but if he hasnt got it, then.............

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Have had absolutely no luck getting mags off him.
    Russ is the man, but if he hasnt got it, then.............
    WAIT TILL THE MORNING...I AM BOUND TO HAVE IT...DON'T PANIC. c

Last edited by John McKechnie; 10-23-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Unhappy

[QUOTE=John McKechnie;31250]Chris- no panic going on here.Yes I can wait till the morning. Thanks so much for your positive and reassuring reply.[/QU

Start panicing again...have everyone around it but not Vol 4 No 1. Chris Read - Arrowrown.

This is the illusive centre fold pic of the Monaro, sorry not a great copy, but a good action shot. Grady Thomson at Ruapuna in 1970.

Cool

Last edited by John McKechnie; 10-23-2017 at 02:38 AM.

In connection to the Cambrdige cars, This is a pic of Terry Scott driving the Cambridge Camaro, ex Spinner Black, and subsequently Rod Coppins.

That`s right Bruce, as I mentioned in a previous post, Warren Black, Spinners brother organised a lot of the various cigarette advertising, and prior to buying this car off Spinner, Rod basically leased it on a meeting to meeting basis, so he probably sat out a meeting and that's how Terry Scott got to drive it. For those that don`t know, Terry Scott is Kayne Scotts dad, and is also Spinners and Warrens brother in law having married their sister.

Now the previously numbered 59 Camaro is driven by Rod Coppins and wears his # 41, with Grady Thomson further back in the # 59 Monaro.

and a closer shot of Grady working the wheel at Bay Park...........

Last edited by John McKechnie; 10-23-2017 at 02:39 AM.

Banned
    I emailed John earlier to confirm that I was posting the magazines he needed and he has replied asking me to post the following that I mentioned to him.

I was talking with my good friend, Dave Bull, a couple of days back and during the course of conversation Dave mentioned running against Grady in the Monaro at the Port Road sprint meeting. Dave was driving the ex.Red Dawson Mustang and John is hopefull that someone who was there might have photographs or recall details of the Monaro. Incidentally, Dave and Grady knew each other well as both were Karori boys.

Banned
    Some more Monaro trivia for you, John.

On February the 21st 1970, the Wellington Car Club ran their first race meeting at the Levin circuit under Clerk of the Course, Ian Pinkerton......now resident of Papamoa, just down from the nudist beach???. Anyway, Grady managed to set fastest time of the day at 58seconds and I'm almost certain this was his first outing in the car. TRS member, Perry Holland managed second fastest time in the Lancer sports. By April the Monaro had been repainted bronze and Grady set FTD at Houghton Bay hillclimb. Remarkable really as the weather was shocking and Grady's time was only set after he put three bags of cement in the boot.

Last edited by John McKechnie; 10-23-2017 at 02:39 AM.

I have just come across a great photo of the car at Teretonga 1970 in front of Brian Crosbie, Peter Kocis and Austin Prattley. Autonews Volume 3 number 14. I don't have a scanner, and don't want to let the mag go, but any suggestions for you to have this great one.
    It must have been very early in Grady's ownership as the report says "Thomson has bought the car from Spinner Black. He bought it minus motor and installed the 350 mill from his brand new GTS350, shoved in a cam and side draught Webers (!) and has gone motor racing. "There's a lot of work to be done before I do any winning" "

Last edited by John McKechnie; 10-23-2017 at 02:40 AM.