Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Cambridge Monaro

What a cool photo

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Does anyone have the page from the program for the V8 saloons for the 1975 Grand Prix, also the results?

The Race Card lists George Bunce (26) and Don Scott (19) as the only Monaro drivers in the BNSW races. Scott was also entered in the Castrol GTX race.

I could find no mention of Scott in the Motor Action report of the meeting.

Don Scott would have been in an HQ Monaro, the ex-Neville Crichton Castrol GTX car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    Wow, that is really spectacular!

Last edited by John McKechnie; 10-23-2017 at 03:00 AM.

And according to Motor Action it was George's first time out in the Monaro.

"Of interest in the 0-6000cc class were two other cars, both having appeared before but painted differently with different drivers. Robin Tanner apperared in the ex-Coppins Pontiac Firebird, now painted a deep rich red and looking very attractive. George Bunce turned up in the ex-Grady Thompson (and a few others) Mark One Holden Monaro - he had bought the body shell, and fitted a modded 350 cu in motor to it. Neither driver apperared in the first session so had their first taste of racing 500 horsepower saloons in the wet. With no history to assess times on, they both started at the back of the grid."

Hi John, A quick question for you.
    I have reset the rear leaf springs and put in new bushes on my HT Monaro. The leaf springs are held on with long U bolts , when I check the manual short nuts and bolts are used instead. I am guessing a previous owner had lowered the car so used the U bolts, there are no lowering blocks on the Monaro.
    Did any Monaro's come out with U bolts?
    Thanks Lindsay

Just as an aside, 1969 HT GTS 350 Monaro recently sold at Shannons auctions for AUD$106,000. Could be hope for your dragster John!!!

I am working the next 2 weekends. Not a bad investment if I can get The Monaro to double in value every 2 years. Looks like I will have to fit a Muncie as the Saginaw is making bad noises in First gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Hi John, A quick question for you.
    I have reset the rear leaf springs and put in new bushes on my HT Monaro. The leaf springs are held on with long U bolts , when I check the manual short nuts and bolts are used instead. I am guessing a previous owner had lowered the car so used the U bolts, there are no lowering blocks on the Monaro.
    Did any Monaro's come out with U bolts?
    Thanks Lindsay
    The HK HT HG range all came with short bolts and nuts but what tended to happen is over time when driven hard they sometimes would fracture the spring perch or pull the welds off the axle tubes and offcourse the back end would drop the wheel arch down onto the tyre, so u bolts are not original but good insurance.
    Last edited by Mark Fiddyment; 10-28-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks Mark, I have already replaced the U-Bolts with 8.8 Grade Nuts & Bolts.
    I will have to check the welds and see how they are. The Monaro has only covered 135K Miles so hopefully its ok.
    But Bill Minty did a bit of racing in the Monaro so I better be careful.

Dizzy's bowl is supposed to have a drain to outside the area where it is fitted so that any overflow drains. I love the thinking!

World Champion
    I was thinking 'Dizzy' was that black wolf-hound displayed on your headup picture. Now we have an aerial view of 'Dizzy' and fuel-cell together, and he/she looks relatively harmless! What IS that black beast anyway????/ Looks like something you bought back in the Treka on one of your visits to Siberia!

By the way John, congrats on passing the 1000 postings.That is some effort. Still a wee way to go to catch Rod who has hit 2000!!!!!!!!!
    Amazing........That deserves a chocolate fish for sure.

John, in the manual 266 4.12D

The true meaning of a mans best friend.....Dizzy giving you her bowl. She deserves a ride in the car John and at pace...

Six piks up Fantastic capture ....some people will know this famous yump . wigram ..the old holden going over it looks like Grady,s head panel beating the roof from the inside ... [lose seat belts ??]

Coming together very nicely John. Looking forward to seeing her on the track. Well done to date.

LOL yea I scrolled up .... & it changed to a different page ....... you cant mistaken it probably a couple pages back John ..[this car is very light over it check it out ]
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 04-05-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Name:  Grady.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  85.7 KB

This one, presumably...