Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Cambridge Monaro

World Champion
    John,
    I meant to put this site in the last time but I am sure you have done this already.

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/...-paint-charts/

You will have to use that Cambridge Blue somehow John !

KH
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 04-23-2015 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    It's a cool photo John. No cage....gauges on the dash pad and those wheels....David has done well and he may have other gems in his photo collection.
    Sadly I don't have many photos. My thinking when I was young was that motor racing photography was all about action shots on the track which required a good camera, telephoto lens, lots of film and developing and none of that stuff came cheap. Consequently I never put much value on taking photos of cars standing still which was all my cheap basic camera was capable of.

What photos I did take I still have so will put them up in the near future.

David Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    David- you came into the Roaring Season saying your participation level in motorsport was low.
    Guess what, you were the right man in the right place and this picture has made you a legend- colour pics of this car are few and far between.
    "thought the Monaro the the most worthy car to use it on."- absolutely, especially if you saw it spinning at Wigram.
    Give yourself a big pat on the back as this details from this pic definitely helps my restoration.
    Just out of curiosity- what are the other 7 pics from Wigram about, do you still have them ?
    John - I'm only just over a week away from my 67th birthday and you are the first person who has ever called me a legend (lol).

As for Wigram; some mates and I were on a 3 week camping holiday in the South Island (in a triple carbed Mk 2 Zephyr and my EH Holden) and we made sure we got back to Christchurch in good time for race day. We were in such good time we spent about 3 or 4 hours at the circuit on the friday ( practise day) where there was lots of activity, race cars parked all over the place and heaps of people milling around them. It was really hot too - we were Wellingtonians and unaccustomed to tempertures over about 20 degrees.

So we wandered about and I took photos of various cars when I could get a clear shot. One thing I'm fairly sure of, while we were there I never saw the Monaro. Would have got a shot of it if it had been. It might have turned up after we left - or not practised at all.

All I can remember about race day was standing in a sea of people and not seeing much at all, certainly not the Monaro spinning. Either Wigram wasn't much of a spectator circuit or we just found ourselves in the wrong place.

Our 20 year old neighbour Finn came over this evening and scanned the photos into my computer. When he comes back from racing motorbikes at Taupo this weekend I'll get him to post them up. You might be interested in a 3/4 rear view of the Coppins Camaro in Cambridge colours.
    I was watching him doing the scanning and said "I suppose I should learn how to do this myself".
    He said "don't bother, you can't teach old dogs new tricks"
    That's the trouble with kids today - they've got no respect.

David

Name:  Team Cambridge.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  138.3 KB

Found this Team Cambridge sticker on www.cabbagetreecornermedia.com. Sorry about quality but check web site for what appears to be an original.

Some interesting images on this site of Rod Coppins in the Zephyr Corvette on a gravel hillclimb.
    Last edited by 45DCOE; 07-23-2015 at 03:44 AM.

Great progress John - looking forward to seeing the car on track again.

Gavin Shaw pic from Grady's Bronze Era...
    Name:  grady t.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  24.5 KB

Mike- Good to hear from you again.
    Now - was that on track or on the track ..........or both.
    I guess both John. We all suffer unforeseen hiccups every now and then but so long as we keep at it then it all falls into place. I know that you will keep chugging away at it. Cheers

Looking at the number- 59- and the advertising on the side- K.E.Carter Motors -well known Holden and Chevrolet Agents- should make this BayPark when Terry Allen appeared with his big block Camaro in 1969

Yes buddy, the Easter meeting on March 29th. Evidently they didn't make the seal quite wide enough on the exit of Stand Corner.

World Champion
    Hello John, I hope this finds you well..
    How is our favorite Monaro coming along ?
    I came across this photo I took at Warwick Farm in 1970 and Norm Beechey is chasing Pete Geoghegan's Mustang in his Monaro.
    It looks like the Monaro was handling as it should on this high speed corner.
    Sorry the quality is not great but it does capture a scene of the fun times we had at the "Farm."

Name:  Warwick Farm. 1970. Pete Geoghegan ahead of Norm Beechey in his Monaro.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  136.5 KB

( Ken Hyndman..photo)

World Champion
    Sorry John for not having your Monaro on film.
    I did this of Beechey in action just for you.

Name:  Warwick Farm.  1970_NEW_0002.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  115.8 KB

( Ken Hyndman photo )

Sent you an Email John re the plates....

ьпрушк поылкегбтсб тсмиымоа ьегкшурв пр ?????????

I couldn't have put it better, well said.
    Bruce.

Thats a great idea getting replica plates made John. They really help complete the detail of the car and help finish it off. Its that attention to detail that us car nuts love.

This is a Holman-Moody Galaxie stock car I have just finished writing a story on for Muscle Car Digital Magazine. The owner/restorer John Craft did likewise, having replica plates made like those from when his car raced at Riverside in 1964.

Name:  18618_10205376805354268_3254183655343621855_n.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1186.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  178.4 KB

Here you go John,
    I got my Dunlop decals here and they are dead nuts right.
    http://www.retro-uk.com/page024.htm

Bruce.

[QUOTE=
    Now to get hold of some Dunlop and Champion stickers.[/QUOTE]

Here is my latest decal project John.

Bruce.

The shocks are original GM/Pontiac part numbered with the right date code. I'm not sure of the heraldry but now my interest is piqued.

Yes I have seen these on vintage Alfa GTA race cars....bloody expensive to buy from GTA Parts....

Might look different here in Australia but in post #609 the top photo looks like 1362M the lower 1362N surely some one will notice?

Its interesting you guys picked up on the plate! I asked John Craft about this. His attention to detail is AMAZING! This Galaxie, and other stock cars he has previously owned and restored, including the 1965 Daytona 500 winner pictured below, are all totally correct to how they were built in period. He has also written several books on the history of Nascar. But he didn't pick up on the number plate! He is off to have another one made.

Name:  mdmp_0904_01_z+1965_galaxie_grand_stock_car+1965_galaxie.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  74.4 KB