Thread: BEGG SPORTS CAR

BEGG SPORTS CAR

where is the early v8 one i understand it is up and running again.

This car has been “ recreated “ by Wal Willmott in Invercargill from a few left over bit’s of the original car for Jay Esterer .( the original car itself was built from bit scrounged out of McLarens obsolete bin ) Whether it can be called the McBegg or not is another of the Grandfather’s axe debates but it is great that someone has the inclination and ability to recreate such a car. Pity if it ends up overseas ! . A detailed article on the rebuild is in the latest Classic Driver magazine.

And mountains on this site too, perhaps Custi means the first one that George built?

yes oldfart the first one he made.

Semi-Pro Racer
    CUSTAXI50youneedtoreadthearticleinclassicdriverissue#45,theownersnameisinthatarticle..

My apologies members, I felt the need to write that in a manner Custaxi 50 could relate to...

I have just had a phone call about someone who has just passed away in the most shocking way that someone can die from -cancer,so to get a dick reply like this from you and you know i cant say what i would like to say to you here.just who the hell do you think you are to put this shit up ,why cant you just put what you know about this car up here without having this feeling come over you all the time .how hard would that be for you to do-jac mac could you just try.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    where is the early v8 one i understand it is up and running again.
    After its 1969 accident with Brent Hawes the engine and gearbox went into a new Begg single-seater which became better known as the Begg-Daimler.

Murray Elwood and Rod McElrea rebuilt the sportscar in Ashburton with 3.5 Oldsmobile V8 engine and raced it as the Elmac in 1971 after which it reverted to the Begg name and passed via John Armstrong of Dunedin to Lyn Johnson of Timaru 1972, Larry O’Connor of Whakatane 1972-73, then Geoff Scholes of Christchurch with 2.0 engine (don't recall what make).

Last I heard (about five years ago) it was owned by Neville Brumby, Gore

Thanks for taking the time David to put up what i wanted to know about this car,thanks again all the best to you over there.

Hi guys I had A little to do with the car when Lyn J had it at the time it had A Rover V8 in it with A HD 5 gear box I raced against it in SID1 in the earley 70s. When Geoff got the car he put A 2,000cc bedford the car was then sold to Bruce Turnbull . Bruce sold it on and it was crashed at Taupo what happned after that ??? Jamie A

Thanks to you also for taking the time jamie to put this up.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    When Geoff got the car he put A 2,000cc bedford Jamie A
    I'm pretty sure Geoff fitted a 1725 Rootes. But as always I could be wrong.

Thanks Russ that made think?? so I rang Bruce and you are right it had A Roots Hunter Bored out And he got the car off Ian Mcaffer
    And sold it to A super kart Driver named Sander [Somthing] who rebuilt it than crashed it . So Russ you were right Jamie A