Thread: 494 can am fuel injection

494 can am fuel injection

I have a 494 can am fuel injection manifold that I plan to fit to a genuine 429 boss engine. am trying to find what the history may have been on it. It is a rare Ford part # XE 149552/CHG C. Hope someone may have info or have an idea where to start looking.Cheers Colin

Wow, I bet thats a nice piece of kit. Can you post some photos? The Boss 429 was used in the Can-Am in 1969, the Open Sports Ford and Mario Andretti's McLaren M6B both ran these motors, and I think the Ford G7A may have done also?

I put together an article on the Open Sports Ford last year, as this car was discovered after sitting in a shed for a few decades. When it was found it was completely original, except the fuel injection system was missing, and replaced with a carburettor. Article and photos here

Would be kinda trippy if that was the original manifold off that car hey!?

Nice! It is different to that on the Open Sports Ford in which the trumpets canted inwards. What car are you putting this in?

You might want to contact Pete Lyons. This intake may be shown on page 19 of his book, Can-Am Photo History.

http://www.petelyons.com/

-Chad

Thanks Steve,
    It does look like the one on Andretti's 494 Can Am.I was going to fit the fuel injection to my 429 boss clone, but change of plan. I have a 429 boss engine coming out that is from a factory KK boss and plan to fit the unit on that engine and use the motor as a demonstration unit for the " easy- run test stand " of which I am now the NZ distributor. Also many thanks to Chad.