Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Required: 1969 HT Monaro GTS350 Race Car

Help Required: 1969 HT Monaro GTS350 Race Car

Had an email over the weekend from someone who last year purchased a 1969 HT Monaro GTS350 that was raced in the early '70s. I've posted a couple of photos the owner has sent me, it appears the car raced in the Castrol GTX series, in New Zealand. One of the photos had written "Bay Park 1972 - 1973" on the back. The driver was Bill Minty. Rego number DM 1713.

Can anyone help with photos, either of their own, or scans from magazines, plus race results and any other info? The owner is trying to gather a picture of the cars racing career as much as possible.

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 2430
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 3133
Size:  107.4 KB

Steve, if you get the guy to look up W.H. Minty in Manukau City he can speak to the man who probably knows quite a lot about the car!

I also spoke with Richard Brocklehurst a while back and the guy that has got his old Falcon, I think in Nelson or Blenheim area, is also restoring that car.

Thanks Steve, great stuff, I've let the owner know.

Wasn't that Brocklehurst GTHO originally a green car or some other colour, but painted white for racing?

Hi Steve, Yes Brocklehurst’s GTHO was imported by John Andrew Ford and changed from it’s original Jewel Green to White for production saloon racing and then returned to Green and sold as a road car. Now owned by Ian Boote from Nelson. Excellent article on this vehicle in the latest Classic Driver Magazine

I was talking with Richard just last week, I suspect he might show up on the RS shortly. Hope so anyway as he has some good stories, when he can be persuaded. Get the hint Richard?

Hi Steve, Bill Minty is my uncle and still lives in Auckland. I have fond memories of cruising in DM 1713 as a young lad and being ferried to the race track in the car. Baypark and Levin both come to mind. Bill raced this and earlier another HT 350 coloured Verdoro? Green.
    Prior to the 350's he also owned an HK 327 in Silver Mink and before that a yellow HK 186S.
    I'd be pleased to see current pics of DM 1713 and liaise with the current owner...
    All the best
    Alan

I remember last year on Trade Me there was a red HT350 for sale, and it was this car-even showed pics of it.
    I worked at Paine Motors, Otara in the early 70s and remember him coming and going seeing Brian Wilson there.
    I saw the green one he raced at Pukekohe- he had written HOHOHO on the bot lid.
    Dont remember the brown one racing.
    This was the standrd production saloons.
    Had a quick look at my Motorman mags, but nothing there.

I believe another green HT 350 racing at the same time (with HOHOHO on the bootlid) belonged to Patrick Smith, not Bill Minty.

And Patrick Smith still has his GTHO. with Twitch on it.

Hi Alan, I am the owner of this Monaro, I would love to have some photo's of this Monaro racing, I have been told there are a few photo's in magazines I just have to find the 40 year old mags. The Monaro is in very good condition for being 44 years old. still gets a WOF with out too much trouble. Its a real head turner were ever I go. The Car is painted bright red with black stripes, The 350 Chev V8 has a bid cam so it has a wicked sounding idle.
    I will put up some photos here as soon as I figure out how to.
    Thanks Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    And Patrick Smith still has his GTHO. with Twitch on it.

Have you seen this John, as I was under impression it was sold a way back. Be interested to know if Patrick still has 'Twitch'
    Believe it was a light brown in colour.

Rod- spoke to him last night, confirmed when his Daytona Bronze Bathurst Monaro arrived, dealer first owner, key number etc.- I have GM-H Monaro import info. Great to see this genuine ex race car still remembered. Gave him Bills number, he was the second owner.. Will post anything I have from its racing days here.
    Bonus- as its a period racing car used then, he is well eligible as a schedule K
    Welcome to the thread Lindsay, if you are like some of us, this will be your second home.
    Please put up some pics of how great it still looks.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 08-30-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Have you seen this John, as I was under impression it was sold a way back. Be interested to know if Patrick still has 'Twitch'
    Believe it was a light brown in colour.
    When I bought my ex Francevic/Mcmillan Falcon from Monaco motors there was a mustard color Falcon for sale there at the same time, it had very slight flares and trident shape wheels but they were magnums not Aunger and I was told it was the ex Patrick Smith car. I new the salesman working there at the time, Dave Brent and he let me take both of them for a ride. It was during smoko as I was wiring a block of units with my boss Kevin McManus up the side street from Monacos headed towards town, I hadnt told the boss and I pulled up in the Smith car in front of the units where he and the chippies were sitting out front having smoko. I pulled on 6 grand and popped the clutch with the bum nicely fishtailing up the road, and that story hung around our workshop for quite a few years. The best they would do on that car was 7.5K and so I bought the other for 4.5K and still have it today. I was 17 1/2 years old at the time and I had more "street meets" in that car than I can remember. To this day the car has a special smell inside to it and when I hop in it, its like going back in a time machine. Great days.

Found a reference to it
    MM Feb 1972 Bay Park , December 28 1971-heat 2 was Richards leading , Francevic, Brocklehurst,, Bailey, Neil, Pat Smith-GTHO-, Harrington, Palmer, Brickley, Radisich and another brief gap to Bill Mintys Monaro 350. Kerry Grant, and Leo Leonard had been eliminated in a nasty accident in heat 1. Thats all here.
    More to follow.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 08-30-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Thanks john for all the info on my Monaro. I am amazed at how much information you had on the Monaro, Very glad that you could confirm it is a Bathurst model. I am looking forward to what else you will find out about its racing history,
    Will put up some photo's of the Monaro as it is now. The car has only covered 132,000 miles quite low for a 44 year old car.
    Name:  002.JPG
Views: 1691
Size:  150.8 KBName:  018.JPG
Views: 1576
Size:  160.6 KB

Pukekohe Nov14 Moffatt and Geoghegan raced her- no mention of Bill here.

Levin-Dec 19-Heat 1-End of lap 3 Bill Sheills-Capella- in 9th led Bill Mintys Monaro 350.
    Heat 2-3rd lap , Richards leading Harrington, Leonard, Neil, Radisich, Bailey,Minty and a dice between Sheills andNev BrickleyThe race finished 15 laps later-Richards, Neil, Harrington, Leonard, and a 2 sec gap to Radisich, Bailey, Minty and Sheills. Bailey and Neil spun so I assume Bill got third here.
    More to come Lindsay

Dec 12 Club racing at Puke-Richards leading Tim Bailey, headed Merv Neil and Bill Minty on the grid.