Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brett Young Collection

Great shot here as Frank Matich in the A50 cruises past and says gidday.

Name:  matich a50.jpg
Views: 2191
Size:  103.7 KB

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Found it, but my scanner still doesn't work. New Zealand Classic Car Issue 177, article about the Ian Munt Capri part 2, 5 cars visible and clearly identifiable are the Cortina, Dave Baker in PDL 1, Munt, Gary Jenkins and Rod McElrea in his Mustang, its from Ruapuna
    The picture is from the season finale for OSCA at Ruapuna in 79/80. There is an article about the racing in the May 5 1980 edition of Motoraction Jac unfortunately hit the wall at the hairpin in race 1.

Couple of very early photos here of the Brent Bullivant V8 Capri. In fact, these are possibly from the cars first event. This car enjoyed a colourful career. Bullivant built it when he was still a teenager, and was just 19 years old when it first appeared in early 1975. He raced it for just over two seasons on a very limited budget, using hand-me-down parts, used tyres etc, to keep running. But the car brought him to the attention of Jim Richards, who brought him to Australia around 1978 to prepare his XC Falcon hardtop Sports Sedan.

Brent returned to NZ in 1979 to race the Capri in the Open Saloon Car series, doing double-duty as he was also there to prep JRs Falcon. He sold the Capri to Graham Baker in around 1980/81, who took it to the South Island, but because it didn't fit OSCA rules, could only compete in the Allcomer type races. At some stage during Bakers ownership, the Capri ended up being fitted with McLaren M10 wheels. Were these off the PDL Mustang? Certainly, when Steve Ross was restoring the PDL, he advertised wanting a set of M10 for the restoration.

The Capri was later owned by Bob Cullinane, then by Brian Frend, where it made a special appearance in the movie Shaker Run. Certainly a colourful car that has done many racing miles.

Name:  brendan addis capri - manfeild.jpg
Views: 2004
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  brendon addis capri - manfeild.jpg
Views: 1697
Size:  97.0 KB

Couple shots here of the Rod Coppins Camaro. These look to be from the 1969/70 season.

Name:  coppins camaro.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  127.9 KB

Name:  coppins camaro side.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  136.5 KB

Whereas this is from the following season.

Name:  cambridge Camaro_filtered.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  66.1 KB

Team Cambridge pit area, at what looks like Levin, with the various tow and support vehicles behind Rodger Andersons BMW 2002.

Name:  cambridge BMW.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  136.9 KB

Couple of interesting photos of the Fahey Capri, at Manfeild. This is possibly Faheys last ever race meeting before retirement.

Name:  capri - suzuki380.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  135.0 KB

Name:  fahey cologne capri manfeild.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  93.1 KB

Couple of nice shots here of the pretty Alan Boyle Coke Viva. This car has now been restored. Hopefully it'll make some appearances this season.

Name:  Image23.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  112.1 KB

Name:  Image22.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  123.2 KB

[QUOTE=Steve Holmes;21399]Couple of nice shots here of the pretty Alan Boyle Coke Viva. This car has now been restored. Hopefully it'll make some appearances this season.

Will look forward to seeing the Boyle Viva.....Sorry to be a little off track, I have some photos of the Boyle Viva, but Im not sure where to post them?

I'd love to see those. You had a really fantastic thread running on here with the collection of slides you have, why not keep posting there? I'd love to see that thread resurrected: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...-s-at-Pukekohe

Saloon car action at Bay Park. In shot are Dennis Marwood, Brian Foley, Rod Coppins, Wayne Fuller, John Riley, Reg Cook and Dexter Dunlop. Who is driving the blue Anglia?

Name:  levin saloons.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  94.8 KB

Castrol GTX production racing, including Leo Leonard, leading (I think?) Kerry Grant, Jim Richards, Tim Bailey. Who is driving the other Toranas? Would one of these be Robbie Francevic, given he switched from a GTHO to XU1? Also looks like Richard Brocklehurst towards the rear of shot.

Name:  levin saloons 2.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  92.4 KB

Spot the difference in the Camaro- number changed, also colour of round was red, later black. Early colour of word Cambridge is gold, later is white
    Early photo shows no quarter vent, later has quarter vent on doors.
    Has there been door replacements here.

Yep, well spotted John. As well as the subtle colour changes, there doors also changed. This car was a 1967 RS/SS, but by the 1969/70 season it had 1968 doors with no quarter-windows. Also, the grill changed, from the hidden headlight RS, to a standard 68 then back to RS. But then in the 1972 season when it was painted gold, it had the 67 doors and RS nose back on.

Note also that close up, it was a pretty rough car. These cars really took a lot of punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Saloon car action at Bay Park. In shot are Dennis Marwood, Brian Foley, Rod Coppins, Wayne Fuller, John Riley, Reg Cook and Dexter Dunlop. Who is driving the blue Anglia?

Isn't it Bob Homewood ?

Could the yellow XU1 be Ray Olenius?

Steve- Bruce and I have been examining them,you are correct on the dings/long crease on the bottom of the doors.Also the pix show severe gravel rash on the front lower panel- as the drivers were such gentlemen, not stock car drivers,it must have always a problem getting these cars on and off trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

Hi Steve, I don't think the track is Baypark - I don't remember any dirt track outside of the sealed circuit. Could it be Levin ??

Mike John told me that they had a whoopsie with the overhauled engine and that it had to come out for repair. Hopefully we will see the car on track very soon. Seems like a lot of people want to see the car in action again.