Thread: 1987 AMSCAR Sports Sedans - Amaroo Round 1

World Champion

1987 AMSCAR Sports Sedans - Amaroo Round 1

yep!

World Champion
    Great footage of Bryan Thompson driving the ex- Bob Jane/Peter Brock Monza..

Wow, that was great! See also right at the start, what looked to be Tony Hubbard in the ex-Jim Richards Falcon hardtop when it briefly sported its wide body flare kit.

World Champion
    yes I did Steve - great to see this footage surfacing

World Champion
    Great also to see Mark Trenoweths Jag..... originally built by John McCormack in 1979 for the 1980 Sports Sedan Championship. Powered by his F5000 engine - P76?

Weekend Warrior
    Is the Tindall Torana the ex Gary Rogers car ? I was at that meeting BTW. The good old days, just car racing, no stunt bikes or XXXX Angels.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    Is the Tindall Torana the ex Gary Rogers car ? I was at that meeting BTW. The good old days, just car racing, no stunt bikes or XXXX Angels.
    Pretty sure the Torana of Bob Tindall was designed/built by himself . The sound of those cars reverberating around Amaroo must have been great Dave ..

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Great also to see Mark Trenoweths Jag..... originally built by John McCormack in 1979 for the 1980 Sports Sedan Championship. Powered by his F5000 engine - P76?
    I didn't know it was powered by the Leyland P76 F5000 motor, I always assumed it was just a Jag V12 for some reason.

World Champion
    That would be when he had the Mclaren M23-Leyland, seen at the start of the 78 AGP won so convincingly by one G McRae

That car in the bingle at Honda corner on the first lap isn't...(gulp!)...an...Isuzu Bellett...is it...?

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    That car in the bingle at Honda corner on the first lap isn't...(gulp!)...an...Isuzu Bellett...is it...?
    I think that could be Allan Linton - Smith's Bellet .. it was powered by ( then) a 12a Rotary... an earlier version ran an olive oil lubricated, supercharged 1500

I was talking to a friend of mine in Sydney this morning on the phone, and he tells me Des Wall has died of cancer aged 61. I meet Des in the early 90`s when I drove one of the Aussie M.A.N race trucks at Oran Park. He was running a sports sedan at the same meeting. A good bloke, good driver, and always had good gear. R.I.P.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    I was talking to a friend of mine in Sydney this morning on the phone, and he tells me Des Wall has died of cancer aged 61. I meet Des in the early 90`s when I drove one of the Aussie M.A.N race trucks at Oran Park. He was running a sports sedan at the same meeting. A good bloke, good driver, and always had good gear. R.I.P.
    Yes , I just heard the news myself - sad day.. R.I.P Des

World Champion

Thanks again Bry, great vid. Hard to believe this is 25 years ago! Scary. I wonder where all these cars are now? I can only think of a couple that are accounted for.

World Champion
    i wondered the same thing Steve....

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Pretty sure the Torana of Bob Tindall was designed/built by himself . The sound of those cars reverberating around Amaroo must have been great Dave ..
    Loved going to Amaroo. Sitting up on the rocks down at Stop/go, then walking over to the carports & checking out the cars. The JPS cars were always immaculate. Was there the day Romano crashed up the top in the Kaditcha ? & also the sad day the F3 went into the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    Loved going to Amaroo. Sitting up on the rocks down at Stop/go, then walking over to the carports & checking out the cars. The JPS cars were always immaculate. Was there the day Romano crashed up the top in the Kaditcha ? & also the sad day the F3 went into the crowd.
    David, the Romano crash you talk about, is that when the back lifted off and sent the car on a big slide throught the middle. I have video of that, must get all these things changed over, got heaps of videos.

Weekend Warrior
    Rod I cant say, it was out of our sight. My memory is they stopped the race & the circuit was closed for a long while. My friend & I walked around the circuit & found the car off the track to the right just over the hill & it was a bit of a mess & Romano was out of the car & gone.

Weekend Warrior

Bap Romano

Hi Guys
    From memory Bap started from rear of the grid, the throttle stuck wide open, straight over the top of the hill into the wall.
    No right turn. But it did go to show the strength of the tub.

Thanks

Ian