Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Denny Hulme Festival

From time to time GD66 i put Trio at the Top on,i find the part with Greeta on this tape very sad and still do the way Denny went about it when it came to Greeta.Its always very sad losing a loved one and when its one of your kids you dont get over it ,time does not help with this some say it will but thats-bs-.when i am in Te Puke i allways stop and go into where Denny is and his boy is also there, as we all know on his head stone it tells you some of what he did in his sport the same goes when i am in auckland i stop in to view where my dad is ,and i alway stop to view where Bruce Mclaren is which is on the other side of the cemetery .but last time i was there it still does not tell you about Bruce Mclaren and what he did for motorsport ,some time back i did talk to his sister at manfeild about this maybe they have put something up now.
    Last edited by CUSTAXIE50; 11-28-2012 at 12:08 AM.

From Warwick Farm, 1965. This is one of Bruce Wells photos, part of the Warwick Farm collection that will be displayed on here in the near future.

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  91.6 KB

What a grand photo of man and machine.

World Champion
    Name:  the cleaning continues.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  170.3 KB

The Denny Mini.........more elbow grease has been applied. Starting to look quite respectable.
    My BMC dismantler Glen, managed to find a proper set of very early hubcaps that would have been on the car when Denny bought it.
    The paintwork has resisted all efforts to get a showroom shine into it, but it is looking a million times better than it did pre exhumation......
    I could have just left it in the shitty state it was in, but decided that it wasnt going to do itself any favours at the festival............It has got, as the English autioneers are fond of saying.......'a great patina of age' !!!!!!

Thnaks to Gerald's generosity I have had a chance to have a good look at the Hulme Mini. My first car was a 1959 Mini and to have a good look at this car brought back plenty of memories - both good and bad. They were fairly basic cars with very little interior upholstery and this one is in that mould. Gerald has done the basics to get the car drivable but no real tarting up and I am sure that many people will wonder about this approach. I think that it is good as it is in much the same conditions as you would expect of a car that age which has been left to its own devices.

We went for a quick trip round the block and the old BMC whines and crunches were all there to remind us of its origins. There is still the original drivers seat that Denny sat his bum on - although you would want to try and use it now without some re-upholstery work being done on it.

It should provide some interest when it is driven at the Festival.