Thread: 2012 Virginia International Raceway Historics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Hi Grant Thanks for the shots, more Sports Cars if poss ?? Merry xmas Jamie A
    Thanks Jamie (and Bruce), I'm fortunate to live close to VIR, probably the best track in USA when you look at the track rebuild, layout, facilities, it was a courageous effort by Harvey Siegel and Connie Nyholm to invest so much time and money. And all the officials and staff are friendly!
    Jamie, Steve has more pics on hand to upload, I think there are more brit cars here now than in pommyland! And Merry Xmas to you too (oops, have to be pc and say Happy Holidays here nowadays......).

Bobsy SR6 BDG - Larry Wilson, South Carolina

Name:  054.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  167.1 KB

The late Hap Sharp is best known as driver and co-owner, with Jim Hall, of Chapparal Cars. The innovation and success of their cars deserves a separate thread here. I met James (Hap) Sharp Jr at VIR along with a group of Texans who each year pick an "away" track to visit as a change from their local events. Last year it was Road America, prior to that Watkins Glen and this year VIR.

James was running one of his father's first cars, a Cooper T56 Formula Junior, chassis number FJ-1-61, first off the line of that model. Jim Hall gave the Cooper its first race in Mexico City and Hap Sharp raced it for the rest of the year including the support race at the Sebring 12 hour event. Hap then sold the car and went on to an illustrious career including six F1 races before forming the Chapparal team.

More recently James Jr tracked down and purchased the T56 and is enjoying part of his fathers (and Cooper's) early racing history, full circle indeed.

Name:  025.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  158.2 KB

That Elva FJ is a really great looking car and beautifully presented too.