Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coppins Pontiac, come on Bruce!!

I saw that Dale, Nothing wrong with a Kelvinator,rite, keeps the beers cold! HONEST , lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Here is Doug, the crew chief with one of their company cars.
    Funny, he doesn't look very happy !

I'd look unhappy if i had to jump from a Boss 302 into a Pontiac!! LOL, could be worst, could be a Javelin, LOL!! anyone know what Pontiac stands for!! arr better not go their!! LOL.

Bruce, great story with lots of great info!!! are you still intouch with Ron Grable? when was he last in NZ? now he would be a a guy to get down for Hulme in 2013 don't you think? ask him please?

Dale Mathers
    Ha ha ha, now thats frickin funny.

Bruce, great story with lots of great info!!! are you still intouch with Ron Grable? when was he last in NZ? now he would be a a guy to get down for Hulme in 2013 don't you think? ask him please?

Dale Mathers

I've been asking Ron to come back down to see the racing and just have a good time. Unfortunately since his very serious motorcycle accident he isn't up to it.

I talk to Ron almost daily. His old Lola T190 has just been restored, and it is very nice. He has been invited to drive it but again, he is not able to.
    This was the ex Mark Donohue-Roger Penske Sunonco entry before Ron had it.

And just to keep this post slightly on track, Ron told me once that when he was driving for Ronnie Kaplan's T/A Javelin Team, he was sitting on the grid, and the drivers door fell off They had acid dipped the shell just a little bit too much.
    They weren't allowed to race that day.

And just to keep this post slightly on track, Ron told me once that when he was driving for Ronnie Kaplan's T/A Javelin Team, he was sitting on the grid, and the drivers door fell off They had acid dipped the shell just a little bit too much.

ACID drip and the doors fell off, you know, that Stacey acid dipped his Javee "Tyres" for Manfeild, they almost made his car fall off(the track)LOL, the officals weren't gonna let him race again as well, but i sorted that out seen im one of the "good guys" LOL, LOL!!(Oh man, this is just too much, im going to bed) LOL, LOL

On a more serious note Bruce, i fly up to San Fransisco on Thursday for the Somona Historics, would Ron Grable likely be there? where does he live? When you say talk to him, you mean you E-Mail him most days, do you?

Dale Mathers

Go get on the plane, Guru.

Dale,

Ron lives in the Arizona high country. He is not able to travel much, I very much doubt he will be at Sonoma, much as he would like to be.
    And yes we talk via email.

Now, do as you're told and get on the frickin plane

Here is my original photo showing the car alongside Fahey's Mustang

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Here is my original photo showing the car alongside Fahey's Mustang
    ........the Pontiac wearing 'Genuine' Minilte's ,8"front/10"rear.quite possibly the best looking racing wheel ever !!!!!!!!??????????.....................regardsthunder427/MJ

Hi Thunder427/MJ. I agree regarding the Minilites - I have never seen a car with them on where it didn't improve the cars looks.

Yes, agree!!! yet only a few wheel manufactures have ever tried to repo them, and when the did they get the spoke style wrong!! not many pictures of the PDL1 Mustang in the orange colour around!! great shot.

Dale Mathers

Great pic, Thanks Mike.
    This must have been taken before the actual race, the 'Bank Wales' sticker isn't on the rear fender yet, nor the 'Shell' stickers on the hood and front fenders.

The car now has new Minilites, alu of course. The magnesium items would be all crispy.
    Someone told me that Jandals has the originals underhis house, but he reckons they went with the SL/R 5000 that Rod took to Bathurst. ( finished 3rd place with Jim Richards)

A photo of the Grable Firebird taken at Pukekohe

Notice that the car now had headlights (crudely added) at Bay Park they were blanked off with American Airline decals.
    The forward hood scoops have been also opened up as they should be.

This steel hood was left behind Jim Richards' fathers garage in Maurewa when the fiberglass one was made.
    Factory '69 Trans Am hoods were selling in the States for up to US $ 12,000 before the steel repros were introduced recently.

Your Pic Mike ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post

Dale Mathers

I've been asking Ron to come back down to see the racing and just have a good time. Unfortunately since his very serious motorcycle accident he isn't up to it.

I talk to Ron almost daily. His old Lola T190 has just been restored, and it is very nice. He has been invited to drive it but again, he is not able to.
    This was the ex Mark Donohue-Roger Penske Sunonco entry before Ron had it.

That Lola looks fantastic. I like that they restored it as Grables car. Usually if a car was ex-Penske, that would be how it'd get restored.

Well I think there is another set of body panels and wing so it can be presented as the Penske car. That is the beauty of this sort of car.
    It is so easily changed.
    The indisputable fact is that the past drivers dictate the value of an old race car.

Nice restoration Here is a clip of some of the restoration : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FLy04Fw2EE

Yep, thats very true, which is why its quite refreshing to see it not in Penske blue. But I'm sure you're right about the extra body panels. Very nice resto for sure.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Here is Doug, the crew chief with one of their company cars.
    Funny, he doesn't look very happy !

I'd look unhappy if i had to jump from a Boss 302 into a Pontiac!! LOL, could be worst, could be a Javelin, LOL!! anyone know what Pontiac stands for!! arr better not go their!! LOL.

Dale Mathers
    I'll take you where Kiwiboss wouldn't take you !!!!!!
    What does P.O.N.T.I.A.C.........stand for????

P......Poor
    O.....Old
    N.....Native
    T......Thinks
    I.......Its
    A......A
    C......Caddilac...there you go Dale,thats quite tidy,regards thunder427?MJ
    Here's another one!!!
    What does I.V.E.C.O stand for???????

I.........Inter/island
    V........Vehicle
    E.........Every
    C.........Countryboy
    O.........Overtakes.................its late!!......regards thunder427/MJ

Didn't Robin Tanner race this car a couple of times after Rod Coppins.

Yes he sure did, it was painted red and carried # 25, that's Robin in the first post, second pic.

I believe he lives up north (Kaitaia ?) these days.

Bruce.

Yes I also heard he is there, I may do some looking up next time i am there. He also ran a MK2 Z car in the days of old and I wonder if he may have featured in one of the other threads,