Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Coppins Pontiac, come on Bruce!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    I met up with Robin Tanner today, He raced the Firebird after Rod had his last race in Australia in 1974. One of the pics he gifted to me was this engine bay shot. Often so hard to find, and this one is greatly appreciated.

Hey Bruce, this is awesome! Damn thats a great looking engine bay. Did the hood scoop seal over the top of that platform sat on top of the carbs? Looks like its made from foam rubber or something soft.

Yes, the foam topped plate sealed the the underside of the scoop.
    Here is another from front on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Hey Bruce, this is awesome! Damn thats a great looking engine bay. Did the hood scoop seal over the top of that platform sat on top of the carbs? Looks like its made from foam rubber or something soft.

When Rod had finished racing the Firebird in Australia in 1974, he put it up for sale. To re-import the car to NZ would have meant paying import duties which had been avoided by re exporting the car to Aust each year to race.
    Robin Tanner was a friend of Rod's and even did a little selling at the yard in Great North Road, bought the Firebird and imported it afresh. The car was re-registered as a racing car, and as such was issues new licence plates, papers and windscreen sticker.
    Robin very kindly gifted me these items as they belong with the car. He has held them for nearly 40 years in anticipation of reuniting them with the car, despite offers from keen collectors in the interim.
    As far as I can tell the plates have never been fitted to the car. I am extremely grateful to Robin and would like to thank him publicly.

Bruce.

That is amazing Bruce. I still have the original ownership papers and rego plates (used) for the Tulloch Camaro. Not for sale.
    Cheers,
    Bruce D

I guess that makes us kind of 'auto nerds'.

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    That is amazing Bruce. I still have the original ownership papers and rego plates (used) for the Tulloch Camaro. Not for sale.
    Cheers,
    Bruce D

Actually the exact opposite. Ownership of this memorabilia should automatically entitle you to membership of the Rationalist Society.
    Anyone else see Robin Tanners letter in latest Classic Car magazine?

Hi John,
    Yes I saw Robin's letter, and I actually spoke with him again this morning. More great tales to come.

Bruce.

So while progress can sometimes get slower that molasses in the winter, it is progress.
    Among other things happening Gunnar McKechnie started talking decals.
    This is how the correct date coded and Pontiac part numbered Konis on the Firebird will look. Won't be seen by many but the detail is important to me. These decals are available from various sources in various degrees of quality.
    These are some of the better ones.

So does your car still have the original Koni shocks it raced on in period Bruce?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    So does your car still have the original Koni shocks it raced on in period Bruce?
    Yes it does, they are the ones being restored to the condition above, decals included.

The rear shocks on mine are this colour- I thought it was spray from Buncies paint job.
    So this is the correct colour from new?

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    The rear shocks on mine are this colour- I thought it was spray from Buncies paint job.
    So this is the correct colour from new?
    Yes, that is the correct colour for Konis. Now available a "Classic shocks" still the exact same unit. (As on the front of the Standard 10 I raced at Roycroft nearly 2 years back)

Thanks Rhys for this. Now will be getting rear ones checked out , paint is actually very good condition-,car done little mileage,-and now know what to look for for the fronts.
    BTW...havent seen our messenger yet

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    Yes it does, they are the ones being restored to the condition above, decals included.
    Wow, that is awesome! These Koni shocks are quite hard to find these days, and really sought after. I just finished doing a story on the Johnny Ware '68 British Green A/Sedan and Trans-Am Camaro that runs with HTA. Much like your car, it survived the years almost unscathed, and still wears its original double-adjustable Koni shocks it was fitted with in 1970.

Name:  12289689_809609682497970_1580060920342759733_n.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  69.8 KB

I had my Komi shocks restored by Stocks in Auckland and the price was comparable to the replacement cost. They did a fantastic job and I was very pleased with the results.

I love saving and resurrecting the original parts, but mine are the earlier single adjustable Konis, compress them fully then clicks left or right to adjust.

Bruce.

Thats the way to do it Bruce. Every old parts has its own story to tell and is a piece of history in its own right.

Some neat photos here from Warwick Clayton of the Firebird, including when it was owned by Robin Tanner. Some have been posted before, others are new:

Name:  12-17-2010_011A.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  028A.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  033A.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  122.1 KB

Name:  042A.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  104.0 KB