Thread: 1965 SCCA Santa Barbara Road Races.

1965 SCCA Santa Barbara Road Races.

Outstanding video! Thanks for posting the link.

Hopefully Jerry Entin will pipe in soon, but this would appear to be a 1963 or 1964 Santa Barbara Road Race.

We can also hope the YouTube poster will have some other years and events to post for our enjoyment.

Thanks again.

-Chad

Yep it would appear to be 63-64, 'cept for the GT350R that shows up at 8min 09sec ....

You're right. I should have watched the whole thing. 1965 coverage is definitely near the end. The Hollywood Sport Cars Sunbeam Tiger, shows up as a blip near the same segment, and that made it's debut in 1965.

Thanks for catching that.

-Chad

No worries, it's clips like this that make me see how lucky the people were that were there to watch this stuff in the flesh, an amazing era!

Wow, that was fantastic! Great to see two Cheetahs in the same race! I hope you don't mind Pauly, I embedded the vid into your opening post so it can be viewed here.

The red Sunbeam #54 that appears at approx the 3min mark, is it an Alpine or a Tiger? I'm guessing by the other cars in the race its possible an Alpine. Nice looking car.

Hello Steve,

If racingsportscars entry for this Santa Barbara race is accurate, the #54 Sunbeam that appears at the 3:00 mark, was an Alpine running in F-Production. Owner and driver is listed as George Cheyne.

I'll hope that Jerry Entin chimes in here, but he confirmed he was driving the #78 Cheetah in this video.

More from Corvette historian Jim Gessner on this video and what's within can be seen here on TNF.

-Chad

Journeyman Racer
    Chad and Steve: This race was shot by a freind of Eric or Ozzie Pohl named David Hood. He attended this event that was held in 1965. The other Cheetah is the Dixon Cadillac car. It had I believe a 396 chevy engine at this time. Ozzie had bought Doug Hoopers 1957 Corvette race car. It was his first race. David has captured mostly the Hooper pits and various other race and pit action. At 2:19 of the video I am seen messing with my Cheetah. A fellow walks by in a suit. That is Walt Levenstein. He was Lothar Motschenbachers main man. Lothar is also seen in this video he is wearing sun glasses and is by the James Bond Aston Martin.

Eric was a very fun loving person and a great freind. He had a terrible accident in this race where he lost his brakes and shot over an embankment going about 20 feet into the air.

The Ol Yaller seen in the Video was owned by Eric Hauser. The Elva in the video had a Porsche engine and was crewed by Vasek Polak and driven by Jerry Titus. Jerry Titus was the editor of Sports Car Graphic. The best sportscar magazine of the time. It was owned by Robert Peterson of Hot Rod Magazine fame. Jerry Titus had driven the Cheetah for John Grow of Rialto, California, before I bought it.

Here is a great story on Eric Hauser written by Joe Scalzo and seen on Tam's Old race car site:

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Da...dEHauser1.html
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 12-03-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Thanks Jerry. Great additional information, and a nice article about Mr. Hauser.

-Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Entin View Post
    Chad and Steve: This race was shot by a freind of Eric or Ozzie Pohl named David Hood. He attended this event that was held in 1965. The other Cheetah is the Dixon Cadillac car. It had I believe a 396 chevy engine at this time. Ozzie had bought Doug Hoopers 1957 Corvette race car. It was his first race. David has captured mostly the Hooper pits and various other race and pit action. At 2:19 of the video I am seen messing with my Cheetah. A fellow walks by in a suit. That is Walt Levenstein. He was Lothar Motschenbachers main man. Lothar is also seen in this video he is wearing sun glasses and is by the James Bond Aston Martin.

Eric was a very fun loving person and a great freind. He had a terrible accident in this race where he lost his brakes and shot over an embankment going about 20 feet into the air.

The Ol Yaller seen in the Video was ownded by Eric Hauser. The Elva in the video had a Porsche engine and was crewed by Vasek Polak and driven by Jerry Titus. Jerry Titus was the editor of Sports Car Graphic. The best sportscar magazine of the time. It was owned by Robert Peterson of Hot Rod Magazine fame. Jerry Titus had driven the Cheetah for John Grow of Rialto, California, before I bought it.

Here is a great story on Eric Hauser written by Joe Scalzo and seen on Tam's Old race car site:

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Da...dEHauser1.html
    Hi there Jerry, many thanks for this. What wonderful info.

Quote Originally Posted by OCTARD-USA View Post
    Hello Steve,

If racingsportscars entry for this Santa Barbara race is accurate, the #54 Sunbeam that appears at the 3:00 mark, was an Alpine running in F-Production. Owner and driver is listed as George Cheyne.

I'll hope that Jerry Entin chimes in here, but he confirmed he was driving the #78 Cheetah in this video.

More from Corvette historian Jim Gessner on this video and what's within can be seen here on TNF.

-Chad
    Thanks for that Chad. Viewing the video again, the Sunbeam reappears later on, and on its right side there is no exhaust, which confirms your reply.

Wow, thanks for chiming in guys, its wonderful to get a first hand perspective of this stuff!! Wow a 396 Cheetah musta been a handfull!!

Hey Pauly, there is mention of the 396 Cheetah in the Cheetah thread: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...35-The-Cheetah