Thread: Len Gilbert

Len Gilbert

One of New Zealand's pioneering motor racing drivers, Len Gilbert has passed away. I got to know Len in a later life, when he wrote a witty, funny and very practical column for Powerboat Magazine, and later Boating New Zealand.

He went from motor racing to ski racing and powerboat racing, then built his own charter boat, devoting many hours to Coastguard as a volunteer. And that was typical of Len, because he was never short of time to help me out with canny and practical observations.

Despite earning his living from his huge store of knowledge, typically gathered the old way - by hard graft - he would always share whatever he could.

A gentleman in an age where that is a rare and valuable commodity. I'll miss you Len.

Despite earning his living from his huge store of knowledge, typically gathered the old way - by hard graft - he would always share whatever he could.

A gentleman in an age where that is a rare and valuable commodity. I'll miss you Len.[/QUOTE]

Another great motorsport person no longer with us. This seems to be becoming an almost weekly occurrence unfortunately. Condolences to all his family and friends.

Banned
    Another day with sad memories but there we go.

Journeyman Racer
    Len Gilbert wrote a book "When Motor Racing was Fun..... and my Part in it". Probably hard to get now, but a great read about motor sport in the late fifties, early sixties. Len's last car was the Maserati 250F now in Southward's museum. A character who will be sadly missed.