Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bruce Wells Collection - 1964 Silverdale Hillclimb

The Bruce Wells Collection - 1964 Silverdale Hillclimb

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 3512
Size:  99.1 KB

OK, very short thread this one, from the 1964 Silverdale Hillclimb. This was quite a renowned event, with some pretty impressive cars racing here over the years. Is this event still held?

Anyway, I really don't have any info on the cars pictured, but they're such a colourful and varied crop, it makes for an interesting chapter.

If anyone can ID any of the cars, please don't hesitate to jump in and do so.

I dont think the track has been used in years. Although it is still there but very run down.
    You can see it here on Google maps
    http://goo.gl/maps/4mLXU

Or this is a GPS location
    33°55'33"S 150°37'57"E

I stumbled across this link a little while ago. which shows some pictures of its current state.
    http://www.vscca.org.au/12-silverdale.html

In 2009 and 2010 the RTA (Roads & Traffic Authority or NSW State Government)acquired the Silverdale Hill Climb Site along with some other land. In acquiring the land the RTA stated that it was for the purpose of compensatory habitat. There has been talks by the community of using part of the overall site as an open air convention centre.

Thanks Neale, thats really great info.

That Bellvedere ? would have been a handfull, and look at the angle of those Holdens, good stuff. Even the little Coopers etc going hard.

Yep agreed Rod, the damn thing is as wide as the road, with really no room for error.

Here are the last two, as I said, a very short chapter.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 3089
Size:  91.7 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 3015
Size:  99.1 KB

Weekend Warrior
    The driver in the Dodge was Jim Cutler driving Lionel Larsons car. His times were 43.5sec with the car being stock std, no slippery diff no fancy tyres.
    Lionel sold this car and purchased a Plymouth Sport Fury that Jim ran and did a best of 41.93s

Will try and find more pics from Jim's days of racing in the 60s and 70s + appendix Js.

Terry

Journeyman Racer
    Tom Sulman in the Lotus 11, #99.
    John Uren in the Lotus Cortina, 62E.

The Dodge was indeed well driven by Jim Cutler. I was helping Arthur Garthon with scrutineering that day, and had a very interesting natter with Lionel, about the 'home-made' wheels. It turned out that they were fabricated alloy centres, bolted into steel rims.....unusual back then.

Greg

Terry, Greg, thanks so much for filling in the details here for us. Great to have you both here.

Perhaps Max Brunninghauser (?) in SP250 Daimler

Thanks Dennis, great work!

Hi my name is actually Eli Robson the Grandson of Jim Robson and son of Mark Robson.
    As some of you probably realize my grandfather (Jim to most but maybe some knew him as James) was the owner of the Silverdale Hill Climb back when it was all happening.
    It was actually my grandfather finding this post of the old property and it was good seeing more of it back when it was in use (I was born regretfully after its closer although we still owned the property). If anyone is interested I have access to numerous pictures of the track and its history (yes Jim is with us still at a young age of 98!) so im more than happy to scan the old pictures and post them along with the accounts of the events and general history of the track. so if you are interested please respond to this post or message me at Eli.Robson@hotmail.com.au.

Also a huge thanks to everyone posting in this thread as it really made all our day to see people are still talking about silverdale still!

oh and also as to the closure of the event it was due to (as most of you guessed it) to a lack of finances. Along with the obvious insurances and general upkeep of the track part of the hillclimb collapsed one winter and was sadly the final straw that lead to its closure.

Semi-Pro Racer
    By all means, post as much as you can Eli. I am sure it would be appreciated by everyone on here.
    Dale.

Journeyman Racer
    Great to hear from you, Eli.....any Silverdale photos would be marvelous.

I lived a few doors from the Robsons' printing business a Caringbah. Jim never seemed to worry about anything...maybe that's his secret?