Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Bruce Wells Collection - 1964 Silverdale Hillclimb

Quote Originally Posted by Jim robson/Mark Robson View Post
    Hi my name is actually Eli Robson the Grandson of Jim Robson and son of Mark Robson.
    As some of you probably realize my grandfather (Jim to most but maybe some knew him as James) was the owner of the Silverdale Hill Climb back when it was all happening.
    It was actually my grandfather finding this post of the old property and it was good seeing more of it back when it was in use (I was born regretfully after its closer although we still owned the property). If anyone is interested I have access to numerous pictures of the track and its history (yes Jim is with us still at a young age of 98!) so im more than happy to scan the old pictures and post them along with the accounts of the events and general history of the track. so if you are interested please respond to this post or message me at Eli.Robson@hotmail.com.au.

Also a huge thanks to everyone posting in this thread as it really made all our day to see people are still talking about silverdale still!
    Eli, its fantastic to have you on here, thanks so much for taking the time to register. I'd absolutely love to see more photos from the Silverdale Hillclimb. You could either post them on this thread or create a dedicated thread. But they'd be great to see.

Journeyman Racer
    Silverdale records.

Thanks so much for posting this Greg, makes for interesting reading. I see your name on the record book for 1962!

Eli, great to see a thread on Silverdale......so many memories. My dad was Norm Pleasance secretary of the ASCC from just before the war until approx 1950. Following this he surveyed and directed all three of the Redex Trials. I recall as a very young bloke meeting Jim and Tom Sulman with Norm on many a Saturday afternoon at the hill climb. Some years later in my teens I got involved with motorcycle trials and can clearly remember when Jim opened up "The Silverdale Trial" around 1973 /1974 which provided a terrific venue to practice and ride in the day.I used to use the spectator access areas as "sections" and the big grassed area as a sort of long track circuit. We were not allowed to ride on the actual hill climb circuit however the return road was 'legal" An enjoyable run on a bike!!
    My early bikes included a stable of old Honda S and CL 90's in various states of repair however the highlight was the day I christened my newly purchased TY250A Yamaha at "the Silverdale Trail" I recall the stickers black writing on a chrome background--"I've ridden the Silverdale Trail"--- From memory your dad Mark had a Montesa Cota at this time and there was a guy called Frank who was a dedicated Bultaco Sherpa man. Both very pedigreed bikes of the era. Would love to see any photos of the hillclimb and "trail" days and was wondering when the actual last hillclimb event was held.
    Regards
    John Pleasance

Thanks John, wonderful recollections.

Weekend Warrior
    Good to see a Silverdale thread here...some of my pics (have been posted elsewhere on the interweb)

Ted Smith

Racing Car News pic of the Houston Control Centre :-)

Bricks

Wow, these are fantastic! I love the Marcos(?) at the end. Thanks for posting.