Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Fat One

Journeyman Racer

Al Unser in #96 The Fat One
    This was from Phoenix in November of 1965. #4 Don Branson and #46 Jim Hurtubise and #64 Bud Tinglestad
    Race was won by AJ Foyt driving a Lotus/Ford. Don Branson would finish 5th with 198 laps run, Bud Tingelstad would finish 6th with 197 laps run. Al Unser finished 17th with 133 laps run due to mechanical troubles. He made a whopping $361 for his effort.

Photo: Bill Wiswedel collection
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 12-06-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Journeyman Racer

#96 as driven by Al Unser with off set suspension for Ovals
    LeRoy Yarborough drove the #93 car in 1965. When Al Unser drove #96 there was a 255 cu in Chevy engine in it. When LeRoy drove the #93 there was a 300 cu in Chevy that ran on gasoline in the car.

photo: Jerry Eisert collection
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 12-06-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Journeyman Racer

The Fat One in its Dirt Track days
    This was Al Unser in 1965 at what was called "Hoosier Hundred". This was a qualifying attempt at the Indy Fairgrounds.

photo: Bill Wiswedel collection

This car has a real lot of history, and amazing all the different configurations and tracks it raced on to still be a survivor. Thanks Jerry for sharing all this interesting information and amazing photos.

Jerry, thanks so much for posting these. What amazing photos! The two that really stand out are of the car as converted for road use, and the dirt track shot. I knew the car had raced on the dirt, but I really wasn't expecting a surface quite that rough. Must have been hell on the car!

And as for the photo of it converted to road use, I knew a few Group 7 sports cars had been converted for the road in the 60s/70s, but this is really taking the concept to another level. Just amazing! Thanks again for posting these Jerry, I've really enjoyed them.

That Eisart wasn't the easiest of F5000 cars to drive, really demonstrated the skill and versatility of Dennis Marwood.

Though I gather that is not the car that went to New Zealand, this bit about "1964 Eisert Indy Car Serial #1" may be of interest to those following this thread.

Fantastic, thanks Chad.

Journeyman Racer
    Name:  ron dirt.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  32.3 KB
    Ronnie Duman also tried the Fat One on Dirt
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 12-13-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Entin View Post

The Fat One in its Street Rod Days

photo: Bill Wiswedel collection

How awsome is that a F5000 road car, imagine taking that down to the shops to pick up a loaf of bread

Semi-Pro Racer

Dirt Ovals USA

Seeing post #21 with Jim Hurtubise reminded me that I should return this book to its owner.

The cover photo is at Terre Haute, Indiana, a half mile dirt(Clay) track noted for its bumps, apparently. An interesting story which has had at least 3 reprints. Hurtubise, as a rookie at the Indy 500 in 1960 recorded the fastest qualifying (4-lap) time, 2.5 mph faster than anybody else at 149 mph odd. Unfortunately he didn't record it on the first qualifying day so ended up about 19th on the grid.

Hurtubise was a strong competitor for most of the 60's.

I don't imagine cars like the Eisert would have run at Terre Haute, but perhaps Jim Entin can comment.

Stu

Journeyman Racer
    Stu: I don't think anyone could make a rear engined Indy type car with off-set suspension work on the dirt. When Ronnie Duman drove it there seemed to be better dirt type tires on the car then when Al Unser tried it. I have never heard of anyone developing a rear engined type car to run on dirt type tracks.

If anyone did and they would have beat the front engined cars, I am sure that the owners of the front engined cars would try and have the rear engined cars banned.
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 12-15-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Jerry; I note that for some reason I called you Jim in my post. Some kind of late-night brain fade on my part, I think. Please accept my apologies!

Stu

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    And Joe Wright pushing on right rear.
    After enlarging the photo I suspect that it is Don Mckay doing the pushing on the rear. Still as handsome today!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by neale View Post
    How awsome is that a F5000 road car, imagine taking that down to the shops to pick up a loaf of bread
    Like Bill Clark used to drive down to Tai Tapu in the P3 Alfa of a sunday morning........