Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod Coppins

Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post
    Wow, these are fantastic! Thanks Ross.

Hey Bruce, the second photo, would this be when the Firebird was green?

That's right Steve, it was green and in the Aussie spec with blanked off indicators, and ducted front valance. This is the car as it appeared in Australia. It has the brake ducts where the indicators go. Rowan "Chuck" Harman (AussieMonza) arranged the sponsorship .

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, these are fantastic! Thanks Ross.

Hey Bruce, the second photo, would this be when the Firebird was green?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Hey Jon, you have some amazing photos! Thanks heaps for sharing them.
    Lot's of amazing photos on here, Steve. Just glad I can add my two bob's worth......

Semi-Pro Racer

"Ole 141"

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Rod has had many numbers for example in 1969-1970 he had 59, 73, 1 (Monaro), and 41 (Camaro).
    If you check the pix 141 was for 1970-1971 season and later.
    John Riley had 141 several times tilll he took 222
    Riley used 227 when he was running the the Lotus sports.

Seen here with Coppins Mustang in paddock at 1969 GP, Pukekohe.

And Coppins used 141 at least as early as February 1964!

Stu
    Last edited by stubuchanan; 01-30-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Facts garbled,

Thanks Stu, the Chev Coupe in your bottom photo was later sold to my father in law Barry Pointon - less motor and box, as the Chev V8 from the coupe, originally from the TecMec, went into Rods Zephyr. After Barry raced it, and heavily modified it, he sold it to Ron Sylvester who ran it for many years, and Grant Sylvester still has it today.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  Coppins 1u.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  151.4 KB

Name:  Coppins 3u.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  142.3 KB

Name:  Coppins 6u.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  153.8 KB

Name:  Coppins 8u.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  151.4 KB
    A pity this pic is on 2 different quality's of paper, as it is a great photo of the man.
    Name:  Coppins 9u.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  152.2 KB

Good photos Markec, I think from memory Rods Charger in the top photo was owned by Huttons, as they wanted to try and establish the IRDs involvement and limitations of advertising on a company car while motor racing. The PDL Stewart family were another pioneer in this domain.

Quote Originally Posted by markec View Post

A pity this pic is on 2 different quality's of paper, as it is a great photo of the man.
    Name:  Coppins 9u.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  152.2 KB
    Mark, what track is this? It looks like Bay Park, but I'm having trouble identifying the HQ Holden in the background. It looks like the F5000 powered Kingswood Malcolm Ramsay raced in the 1972 Australian Touring Car Championship, the final year of Improved Production rules. Did this car ever race in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post

And Coppins used 141 at least as early as February 1964!

Stu
    Wow! This photo is really cool!

Yes Steve it is HQ of Ramsey from Australia, and it's Bay Park.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Sorry Steve, no caption for the photo, it would seem Rod is correct with Bay Park. Autonews had a bad habit of not dateing their issue's back then, there is also no story of the round at Bay Park in the issue, all I can tell you is that is is the 72 / 73 season.It was the November issue.
    Last edited by markec; 01-30-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks Mark and Rod. Thats great! I didn't realise Malcolm had raced his HQ in NZ. It was one of the top machines in the 1972 ATCC. Ran a fuel-injected F5000 motor in a well built package. How did he go against the Kiwi cars at Bay Park?

Wow! This photo is really cool!
    Steve, if you think the photo is cool, what about the T shirt Rods racing in!

Firebird Photos

These photos were taken perhaps after Rod had sold the car as the number is now changed and
    driver has a full faced helmet

Name:  Coppins Firebird Puke 1975.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  145.4 KB

Name:  Ex Coppins Firebird Puke 1975.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  110.4 KB

This is when Robin Tanner ran the car.

The number 25 is Tanners at the 1975 Grand Prix meeting, colour burnt orange

Weekend Warrior
    Although not a race car, my Torana was once owned by Rod Coppins, so I reckon that's quite a neat talking point with mates.

Hey Scott, was it owned by Rod personally, or by Rod Coppins Motors or Coppins and Coley Motors?

Great photos guys, thanks Mark, Stu and Ross.

Right or wrong, I have always thought of 141 as being Rod's number. I know he used other numbers, and others used 141.

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Thanks Stu, the Chev Coupe in your bottom photo was later sold to my father in law Barry Pointon - less motor and box, as the Chev V8 from the coupe, originally from the TecMec, went into Rods Zephyr. After Barry raced it, and heavily modified it, he sold it to Ron Sylvester who ran it for many years, and Grant Sylvester still has it today.

This must have been not long after Ron got the Coupe, looking at the paint work which became more silver with red guards. This was and still is a neat beast.
    Attached Images Attached Images