Thread: Rod Coppins

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great thread for a great driver.

Be great to see some photos of his time in the Chargers - an E38, an E49, and perhaps even a brief stint in a VJ E48.
    Last edited by J42E48; 12-28-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Name:  img042.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  168.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by J42E48 View Post
    Great thread for a great driver.

Be great to see some photos of his time in the Chargers - an E38, an E49, and perhaps even a brief stint in a VJ E48.
    Found this old photo of Rod Coppins in his E38. Probably Pukekohe i think.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by e49tonye49 View Post
    Name:  img042.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  168.3 KB

Found this old photo of Rod Coppins in his E38. Probably Pukekohe i think.
    What's with the Hardie Ferodo 500 sticker - was this an ex-Bathurst car? And, if so, which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    What's with the Hardie Ferodo 500 sticker - was this an ex-Bathurst car? And, if so, which one?
    I have a photo somewhere showing Rod Coppins racing a Formula Vee. He came in about 6-7- and like most 'top drivers', found how difficult they are to drive. 1973 Baypark I think. To his credit he gave it his best shot unlike a lot of others who just didn't proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    No it never ran at Bathurst, It is the third of 3 E38s ordered by Todd Motors to run as "Todd Team" The first 2 E38s went to Leo Leonard and Graeme Lawrence, Rod's one was delayed at the factory and didn't arrive in NZ until December 1971 (it is actually the second to last big tank E38 built).
    As far as I can tell Rod ran the E38 in 3 meetings at Puke, twice at Baypark and once in Levin plus he used it to win the Gisborne Car Club Hillclimb in April 1972. He sold the car in July 72 and received the E49 in August