Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod Coppins

Those are great shots Mark, thank you very much for posting. I was talking to the owner of the Torana yesterday at Hampton Downs.
    He is going for a faithful period correct restoration. It could well make an appearance before too long.

Bruce.

I`d have to say I was rapt to be part of the Rod Coppins celebrations over the weekend. For Toni, Rods daughter, it was an extremely emotional time, given her age at the time of both Rods racing, and his passing, and for Rods sister Lynn to fly over from Perth to attend this event was in her words `a trip down memory lane'. I`d like to thank Steve Holmes for the excellent posters, decals, etc and Dale for organising what was a pretty special occassion for the Coppins family. Doing skids in the Camaro is a real blast , but seeing the smiles and comaradire of all the `oldies' did it for me....

Well said Steve. It was an honour to be able to be part of the Coppins commemorations. Without exception everyone always has only good things to say about Rod. His family bear out the fact that he was a real nice guys as they display the same qualities. It was so nice to talk with Gary, Lynn and their children, and grandchildren, not to mention Toni and her daughter Ashlie. And thanks to all the HMC and Aust T/A guys who entered into the spirit with the decals and being enthusiastic about the memories. Though Rod raced in Australia often I don't think he was as well known there.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    I`d have to say I was rapt to be part of the Rod Coppins celebrations over the weekend. For Toni, Rods daughter, it was an extremely emotional time, given her age at the time of both Rods racing, and his passing, and for Rods sister Lynn to fly over from Perth to attend this event was in her words `a trip down memory lane'. I`d like to thank Steve Holmes for the excellent posters, decals, etc and Dale for organising what was a pretty special occassion for the Coppins family. Doing skids in the Camaro is a real blast , but seeing the smiles and comaradire of all the `oldies' did it for me....
    Well said Steve, I couldn't agree more. The whole Coppins family in attendance were really blown away by the level of respect the racing fraternity has for Rod. It was nice to have been present for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    Those are great shots Mark, thank you very much for posting. I was talking to the owner of the Torana yesterday at Hampton Downs.
    He is going for a faithful period correct restoration. It could well make an appearance before too long.

Bruce.
    He sent me photos of it a few years ago and it is impressive, right down to the Southern Comfort decals faithfully replicated. Would have been nice to have seen it there on the weekend.

Rod Coppins Photos

I managed to dig up a few old photos last week
    Name:  Coppins Firebird Baypark 73 .jpg
Views: 1787
Size:  148.8 KB

Name:  Rod Coppins Puke 1974.jpg
Views: 1871
Size:  124.6 KB

Name:  Coppins & Richards Puke 19754.jpg
Views: 1899
Size:  143.0 KB

Name:  CoppinsTorana Puke 1975.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  Winter Series Coppins Torana.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  125.2 KB

The thing that attracted my attention in the Lycoming/TecMec/D type photo is the protetive clothing worn by all the drivers.

Great photos BMCboy, especially the one of Rod himself.
    The last Torana shot is incredible. Thanks for posting.

Bruce.

Semi-Pro Racer
    [QUOTE=BMCBOY;23298]I managed to dig up a few old photos last week

The photo of Jim and Rod>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ........." Hey Rod, How many Aspro's can you have and still drive"!!!!!! looks like Jim's Got the tooth Ache thing going!......................regards thunder427/MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 01-26-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Great to see Rod's Torana at the NZFMR yesterday. Rod and Jim Richards placed 3rd at Bathurst in that car.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    Great to see Rod's Torana at the NZFMR yesterday. Rod and Jim Richards placed 3rd at Bathurst in that car.
    Anyone get any shots of it?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  Coppins 5-crop1u.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  158.0 KB
    Name:  Coppins 4-crop1u.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  145.9 KB
    Name:  Coppins 3-crop1u.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  152.5 KB
    Name:  Coppins 6-crop1u.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  143.6 KB
    Name:  Coppins 6-crop2u.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  159.7 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  Coppins2-crop1u.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  143.7 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Being harrassed by Don Halliday, Bay Park, 1969
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think that's Johnny Riley (Car Sales writing on front guard), at the Puke hairpin.
    Last edited by GD66; 01-28-2013 at 06:07 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I thought 141 was Rod's number...

Rod has had many numbers for example in 1969-1970 he had 59, 73, 1 (Monaro), and 41 (Camaro).
    If you check the pix 141 was for 1970-1971 season and later.
    John Riley had 141 several times tilll he took 222

Name:  dawsonrileymustangs.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  67.5 KB

Dawson and Riley Mustangs at the NZGP, 1970.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thanks for that - I had a feeling it could have been, but the number threw me...

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Being harrassed by Don Halliday, Bay Park, 1969
    Hey Jon, you have some amazing photos! Thanks heaps for sharing them.