Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
Hi Guys, I see a lot of talk going on about the Zephyr Corvette and would like to clear a few things up. I'm Colin Macbeth and both myself and Keith McLure purchased the car from Rod Coppins. We owned and raced the car for a few years. My friend Ken Bailey drove the car at Pukekohe and Keith and I just bummed around in it at Sprint meetings. Ken and myself did all the work on the car which entailed a lot of work due to rule changes at the time. The Corvette engine in the car tossed a rod at one of the Pukekohe meetings at which time Ken withdrew from our programme. I managed to pick up a new Corvette block and completed the car again. At this stage I was talking to Rod and he said he would love to drive the car again, which he did at a few meetings. Unfortunately had another engine failure and at this time I also decided to give up and the car was then sold to Spinner Black who told me he used the engine in his speed boat and as the body was fairly well knackered I believe it was scrapped. If anyone would like to discuss exactly what components the car had in it etc feel free to contact me Ph 07 8666766.
Cheers, Colin
Hi Colin, nothing like posting on the Roaring Season “half-truths from past memories” to get the correct answers, LOL

Make sure you come along to the Festival Colin, this is why I PH Ken as you guys are the ones that where around when this history was happening. Also the first weekend thanks to Steve Elliot(fullnoise68) we will have Rods daughter Toni Coppins in the HMC marque to talk about her legendry father, im sure she’d like to meet all of you guys. Its 30 years in June since Rod passed and he is now a motor sport icon, and remember Rod was twice NZ Saloon Car Champion so he did make it to the top of NZ motor racing, and Bruce Thompson will have “the” Pontiac on display.

And a few of us would like to meet you guys as well.

Dale M