Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
Yes that`s him. His nickname was `Hoss' and he was the king of the acetelene bomb! Frank worked for Refrigeration Engineering in Penrose for many years and I wouldn`t say he was a rough diamond, but he was a real character! Send me an email to vmt@xtra.co.nz if you like.
Well, its a bloody small world isnt it. Yes I remember the acetylene bombs very well having been on the receiving end many times. As a cheeky apprentice I thought his nickname should be Barney Rubble, only called him that once, bad call!!!!!As apprentices we were always the subject of pranks by tradesmen having been on the receiving end of many of them, he also bolted my toolbox to a workbench. Come end of week I was in a rush to leave work for a weekend at Puke and just about broke my arm as I slid past the bench and grabbed the box, I carried onto the floor but the toolbox stayed on the bench, talk about Mr Bean!!. All that aside I had a lot of time for him, certainly taught me a lot but also kept my feet firmly on the ground. He assisted me in building my first stock car in 1968 which I raced at Waikaraka Park with, shall we say limited success but a truckload of fun.