Thread: Photos: The Steve Twist Collection - Jack Inwood Photos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OK, small capacity battle. The PDL team ran two cars during the 1968 season, with Robert Stewart contesting the 1001-1300cc class, while Clyde Collins was in the baby class. I'll take a punt and say this is Clyde Collins.

Would that be Jim Richards in behind?

Name:  image0000012A.jpg
Views: 2415
Size:  100.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    ... I'll take a punt and say this is Clyde Collins.
    Would that be Jim Richards in behind?
    I'm not sure the Anglia punter is the great Jim Richards, even early on he used to wear a silver helmet with a "105" number disc on the side, and with a peak. Normally he would wear #105, Stewart #40 and Collins #42, but I see the numbers for all the entrants in that three-hour race are all to buggery, so no help there. And as that looks like the loop on the Puke long circuit, it's probably that race.
    (Awaits torrent of heated response...)
    Last edited by GD66; 12-19-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    And as that looks like the loop on the Puke long circuit, it's probably that race.
    Yes and to support GD66 if you look carefully the first of the Mini's in the photo of the 3 Hour Challenge is number 10 and has the same stripes so probably it is that race?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    I'm not sure the Anglia punter is the great Jim Richards, even early on he used to wear a silver helmet with a "105" number disc on the side, and with a peak. Normally he would wear #105, Stewart #40 and Collins #42, but I see the numbers for all the entrants in that three-hour race are all to buggery, so no help there. And as that looks like the loop on the Puke long circuit, it's probably that race.
    (Awaits torrent of heated response...)
    From a quick check through most of the Programmes for the 60's Wills / B & H / Gold Leaf 3 and 6 Hour Races, the numbering pattern seems to be that the cars were numbered from 1 to however many entries there were, starting at the highest engine capacity class and working down to lowest, and then any late entries. Numbers never got as high as 50, so the photo of Mini Cooper #70 and Anglia #90 must be from some other Pukekohe meeting, or maybe not even Pukekohe.

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer

But... If It Was 1967...

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    From a quick check through most of the Programmes for the 60's Wills / B & H / Gold Leaf 3 and 6 Hour Races, the numbering pattern seems to be that the cars were numbered from 1 to however many entries there were, starting at the highest engine capacity class and working down to lowest, and then any late entries. Numbers never got as high as 50, so the photo of Mini Cooper #70 and Anglia #90 must be from some other Pukekohe meeting, or maybe not even Pukekohe.

Stu
    Perhaps I wasn't there that year, as I don't have a 1967 programme, and a look at Steve's post #14 of the 1967 start photo shows car #70 in about 5th place off the line. The same car, apparently with a roll cage of sorts. Does that help?

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    cars were numbered from 1 to however many entries there were, starting at the highest engine capacity class and working down to lowest, and then any late entries. Numbers never got as high as 50...Stu
    That can't be right, Wen, there's no car in that leading bunch numbered under 50 ! And it's not just Puke, but also has a Wills advertising hoarding alongside the grid. Somewhere in an early thread on this forum there's a pic of Jim Palmer punting through the loop in the Fahey car numbered #52, I recall noting at the time that it was half the original #104...

In the 1967 Wills Challenge 3 Hour race car number 70 was driven by Robert Stewart and Clyde Collins and car number 90 was driven by Jim Richards and Bryan Richardson.

The cars in the 6 hour race were numbered from 1 to 45 starting with the largest capacity cars while the 3 hour race cars were numbered from 51 to 94 again starting with the big cars.