Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Steve Twist Collection - Jack Inwood Photos

Photos: The Steve Twist Collection - Jack Inwood Photos

Name:  image0000005A main.jpg
Views: 3085
Size:  105.7 KB

As an addition to the large collection of historic New Zealand motor racing photos Steve Twist has sent me these past twelve months, is his collection of Jack Inwood photos.

This is a collection of 30 stunning Jack Inwood photos, which Steve has owned for many years, and wanted to share here on The Roaring Season. All the photos are of saloon cars, no single seaters, sorry. But they are stunning, and the collection provides an opportunity to appreciate the immense talent that Jack Inwood possessed, to capture these machines at their most magic, and most dramatic moments, so the viewer could gain a real appreciation of how hard these drivers were working, and all with the limited photographic technology that was available in the 1960s.

Jack was truly a master of his trade.

Kicking off here is a beautiful shot from the 1966 season, with Ivan Segedin in the Fleetwood Motors Mustang, the first Mustang to race in NZ, leading eventual 1966 NZ Saloon Car Champion, Dave Simpson in the Lotus Anglia.

Name:  image0000001A.jpg
Views: 3005
Size:  136.5 KB

This is Ernie Sprague in the impressive MkIII Zephyr that almost won the 1964 NZ Saloon Car Championship. Heading into the final round at Waimate, Sprague was leading the championship by 2 points from eventual winner Kerry Grant in a Cortina. There were two preliminary heats that would determine the starting positions for the main championship race. Grant won his heat, and Sprague was comfortably leading his, when he he stuffed the Zephyr into a stack of hay bales while trying to post the fastest time. The damage was such that he couldn't start the championship race, handing the title to Grant.

Name:  image0000004A.jpg
Views: 2855
Size:  94.3 KB

The Ivan Segedin Mustang again. Note straps that appear to be holding the hood down, and that wrap around the front bumper. Note also the non-original hood scoop. This car always raced with the nose very high in the air, even when Dawson had it.

Name:  image0000002A.jpg
Views: 2815
Size:  117.3 KB

The day Bob Jane came to town.................and Paul Fahey beat him. Bob Jane was brought across with his wicked 4.2 litre Jag MkII for the saloon car event at the 1965 NZIGP meeting. Janes Jag was still the fastest touring car in Australia at this stage, and he and Fahey put on a real show as they fought over the lead. Fahey reached turn one first, and was still in front when the Jag failed.

Name:  image0000010A.jpg
Views: 2727
Size:  104.4 KB

Thanks for the post Steve. Jack was an imposing figure, I recall, as a youngster at Baypark, with his stout build, big black beard, and, from memory, a Hasselblad around his neck. Pretty amazing photos those big old cameras used to produce and Jack knew how to find the "money shot". One of motor racing's finest.

Steve Janes Jag ran a piston in practise{wrong fuel}.The Ford was stripped ,only driver seat the Jag even had the ashtray,and he only went out to get the start money,thats what he told me 5 yrs. ago then again he is an Aussie a bloody good one he gave me a ride at Phillip Island five yrs. ago.We started along side his mate in the big Chev Norm Beachey he charged $500 each and 5 payed up for one and a half laps Jan and I no charge he thought the world of Bruce Bob is pos.the only one who still has from new a McLaren Can Am car

Thats a really good point Jim, the Jag had to race in Aus under Appendix J rules, which were very restrictive, I think it even had to retain the carpet! That being said, it was still a bloody fast car, and until Norm Beecheys new Mustang arrived in late January 1965, and got fully dialled in, Bobs Jag was usually the fastest touring car in Australia.

I didn't know Faheys Cortina was stripped out, I thought it still had its seats. But what you say makes sense, as the Allcomer rules would have allowed for the seats to be removed.

Allcomer action from 1966. I'm taking a punt here, and guessing this is Jack Nazer in the foreground? Can one of you guys confirm either way? It looks like his car, but I've not seen those side stripes on his car before.

Name:  image0000015A.jpg
Views: 2520
Size:  103.9 KB

Journeyman Racer
    I allways thought That it was Nazer, it had a light blue stripe accross the bottom of the bonnet. Also just to clarify the two photos with the Segedin Stang coming out of cabbage tree at levin I bought from the Evening post. They had those shots in the sunday paper. Remember the meetings were on a Saturday in those days.

Thanks Steve, it certainly looks like the car Nazer raced during the 1965/66 season, but I've just found one of your photos that was posted here last year, of which appears to be the same car. David McKinney ID'd it as being Bryan Faloon on that thread.

Name:  02 Early Levin f032.jpg
Views: 2629
Size:  92.4 KB

That is Robbie Francevic in the Nazer Anglia ,He won three races there that day Levin March 12th 1966 from memory he also broke the Saloon lap record that day and I believe the fast back behind is Frank Radisich

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Allcomer action from 1966. I'm taking a punt here, and guessing this is Jack Nazer in the foreground? Can one of you guys confirm either way? It looks like his car, but I've not seen those side stripes on his car before.

Name:  image0000015A.jpg
Views: 2520
Size:  103.9 KB
    Last edited by bob homewood; 12-19-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Thanks Bob, thats brilliant! Re the fastback, yep its definitely the Simpson/Radisich car, although you'd know better than I when Simpson sold the car to Radisich. Radisich later chopped the lid, but I believe he raced it for a while before this happened.

Blast off for the 1967 3-Hour Challenge at Pukekohe. The Coppins/Ward Mustang took the win, from the Bryan/Silcock Mustang, after the Fahey/Palmer Mustang dropped out on lap 13 after breaking a con-rod, while the Robert Stewart/Clyde Collins Cooper S was third.

Check the size of the crowd!

Name:  image0000026A.jpg
Views: 2444
Size:  131.3 KB

Yes I think that was possibly Franks first meeting in the Simpson car ,I would have to check to confirm that ,I know in one of the races he was behind Robbie ,the other big mover that meeting was Morrie Hogan in the Anglia Allardette ,he went Ok there that day

OK, small capacity battle. The PDL team ran two cars during the 1968 season, with Robert Stewart contesting the 1001-1300cc class, while Clyde Collins was in the baby class. I'll take a punt and say this is Clyde Collins.

Would that be Jim Richards in behind?

Name:  image0000012A.jpg
Views: 2402
Size:  100.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    Yes I think that was possibly Franks first meeting in the Simpson car ,I would have to check to confirm that ,I know in one of the races he was behind Robbie ,the other big mover that meeting was Morrie Hogan in the Anglia Allardette ,he went Ok there that day
    Thanks Bob thats excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Maunder View Post
    Thanks for the post Steve. Jack was an imposing figure, I recall, as a youngster at Baypark, with his stout build, big black beard, and, from memory, a Hasselblad around his neck. Pretty amazing photos those big old cameras used to produce and Jack knew how to find the "money shot". One of motor racing's finest.
    Correct --- Jack did not snap away with a 35 m.m. camera, he invested in his work and did not skimp on film. His medium format Hasselblad produced quality medium format negatives, which could be enlarged to a huge high quality print and there are several in existence. This dedication towards quality called for superior skills. He was both a motor racing enthusiast and a dedicated photographic artist.

He is sadly missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    ... I'll take a punt and say this is Clyde Collins.
    Would that be Jim Richards in behind?
    I'm not sure the Anglia punter is the great Jim Richards, even early on he used to wear a silver helmet with a "105" number disc on the side, and with a peak. Normally he would wear #105, Stewart #40 and Collins #42, but I see the numbers for all the entrants in that three-hour race are all to buggery, so no help there. And as that looks like the loop on the Puke long circuit, it's probably that race.
    (Awaits torrent of heated response...)
    Last edited by GD66; 12-19-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    That is Robbie Francevic in the Nazer Anglia ,He won three races there that day Levin March 12th 1966 from memory he also broke the Saloon lap record that day and I believe the fast back behind is Frank Radisich
    Bob, what was the story behind Robbie driving Jack's Anglia?