Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Steve Twist Collection - Jack Inwood Photos

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    And as that looks like the loop on the Puke long circuit, it's probably that race.
    Yes and to support GD66 if you look carefully the first of the Mini's in the photo of the 3 Hour Challenge is number 10 and has the same stripes so probably it is that race?

Journeyman Racer
    actually several of the photos from this collection i have in the big 20"x16" size.Now i am a single man again I have several of them framed and on my walls,thats something that wasn't allowed before! I took photos of those and sent them to Steve to post on site

Semi-Pro Racer
    I'm not sure the Anglia punter is the great Jim Richards, even early on he used to wear a silver helmet with a "105" number disc on the side, and with a peak. Normally he would wear #105, Stewart #40 and Collins #42, but I see the numbers for all the entrants in that three-hour race are all to buggery, so no help there. And as that looks like the loop on the Puke long circuit, it's probably that race.
    (Awaits torrent of heated response...)
    From a quick check through most of the Programmes for the 60's Wills / B & H / Gold Leaf 3 and 6 Hour Races, the numbering pattern seems to be that the cars were numbered from 1 to however many entries there were, starting at the highest engine capacity class and working down to lowest, and then any late entries. Numbers never got as high as 50, so the photo of Mini Cooper #70 and Anglia #90 must be from some other Pukekohe meeting, or maybe not even Pukekohe.

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer

But... If It Was 1967...

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    From a quick check through most of the Programmes for the 60's Wills / B & H / Gold Leaf 3 and 6 Hour Races, the numbering pattern seems to be that the cars were numbered from 1 to however many entries there were, starting at the highest engine capacity class and working down to lowest, and then any late entries. Numbers never got as high as 50, so the photo of Mini Cooper #70 and Anglia #90 must be from some other Pukekohe meeting, or maybe not even Pukekohe.

Stu
    Perhaps I wasn't there that year, as I don't have a 1967 programme, and a look at Steve's post #14 of the 1967 start photo shows car #70 in about 5th place off the line. The same car, apparently with a roll cage of sorts. Does that help?

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  Inwood.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  153.6 KB

What greater confirmation can there be of Murrays description than a photo of Jack that i took from a video of the 1967 Wills 6 hr
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Maunder View Post
    Thanks for the post Steve. Jack was an imposing figure, I recall, as a youngster at Baypark, with his stout build, big black beard, and, from memory, a Hasselblad around his neck. Pretty amazing photos those big old cameras used to produce and Jack knew how to find the "money shot". One of motor racing's finest.

Bryan never fitted Sabrina headlight covers as he also used his racecar as a roadcar.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Steve, it certainly looks like the car Nazer raced during the 1965/66 season, but I've just found one of your photos that was posted here last year, of which appears to be the same car. David McKinney ID'd it as being Bryan Faloon on that thread.

Attachment 14626

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    cars were numbered from 1 to however many entries there were, starting at the highest engine capacity class and working down to lowest, and then any late entries. Numbers never got as high as 50...Stu
    That can't be right, Wen, there's no car in that leading bunch numbered under 50 ! And it's not just Puke, but also has a Wills advertising hoarding alongside the grid. Somewhere in an early thread on this forum there's a pic of Jim Palmer punting through the loop in the Fahey car numbered #52, I recall noting at the time that it was half the original #104...

In the 1967 Wills Challenge 3 Hour race car number 70 was driven by Robert Stewart and Clyde Collins and car number 90 was driven by Jim Richards and Bryan Richardson.

The cars in the 6 hour race were numbered from 1 to 45 starting with the largest capacity cars while the 3 hour race cars were numbered from 51 to 94 again starting with the big cars.

Wonderful, thanks Milan. That being the case, I believe it's Richardson driving the Angular.

Wonderful, thanks Milan. That being the case, I believe it's Richardson driving the Angular.
    i'd go a $ eachway on that.

Thanks for clearing up that PDL Mini/Jim Richards Anglia question guys. I only guessed at it being the Clyde Collins Mini because all the pics I'd previously seen of the Stewart car showed it with licence plate fitted. But I didn't stop to think this could be from the same 3 Hour raced as also posted earlier in this thread. Well spotted!

Two significant Mustangs. This is Paul Fahey leading Red Dawson (ex-Segedin). This was the third and final race season for the Segedin/Dawson car.

Note the different levels of body roll in each car. The Fahey car sits relatively flat, while the Dawson car is just about scraping the chrome off the door handles.

Name:  image0000003A.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  101.0 KB

Journeyman Racer
    I have a question for someone on this forum who will know. Did Bob Jane go from the MK2 Jag to the Mustang or did he race a Lotus Cortina?. As that seemed to have been the car to have at the time he came to Puke.Also in "the what happened to" category anyone know what happened to the Fahey Lotus Cortina? Is it still in existence?

Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    I have a question for someone on this forum who will know. Did Bob Jane go from the MK2 Jag to the Mustang or did he race a Lotus Cortina?.

Yes. In fact, he won Bathurst in one.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Two significant Mustangs. This is Paul Fahey leading Red Dawson (ex-Segedin). This was the third and final race season for the Segedin/Dawson car.

Note the different levels of body roll in each car. The Fahey car sits relatively flat, while the Dawson car is just about scraping the chrome off the door handles.

Name:  image0000003A.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  101.0 KB
    The Fahey car being an ex shelby race car would have had the top wishbone dropped at the chassis end along with a host of other shelby tweaks like heavy anti roll bar & springs, that explains the amount of neg camber @ droop on the Dawson car. took a while for some of the other mustang boys to catch on to that..

Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    I have a question for someone on this forum who will know. Did Bob Jane go from the MK2 Jag to the Mustang or did he race a Lotus Cortina?. As that seemed to have been the car to have at the time he came to Puke.Also in "the what happened to" category anyone know what happened to the Fahey Lotus Cortina? Is it still in existence?
    Steve, from what I can gather, he bought the Lotus Cortina in 1964, but seemed to favour his Jaguar at the more important events that year. But CAMS dropped Appendix J for 1965 in favour of Improved Production, which limited how large engines could be stretched beyond what they were as standard, so he couldn't run his Jag with a 4.1 motor. He seems to have raced the Lotus Cortina in the early 1965 races, but with Norm Beecheys new Mustang appearing in late January, and immediately showing potential, both Jane and Pete Geoghegan ordered Mustangs from Shelby. Jane's Mustang was only just readied in time for the 1965 ATCC race at Sandown in May. He put it on pole, but had overheating problems.

I'm pretty sure he raced it again briefly after wrecking his Mustang at Catalina Park.

Absolute ripper shot here of Dave Simpson blasting the little Lotus Anglia, front wheel cocked, and on his way to winning the 1966 NZ Saloon Car Championship. He appeared out of nowhere, and was gone again just as quickly.

Name:  image0000014A.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  85.9 KB

And here is Simpson again, chasing arch-rival Paul Fahey in his similar car at Pukekohe. This pair dominated the season, winning every championship race between them, and while the performances of these two cars was quite even, in the end, Simpson walked it, winning 6 of the 7 championship races. His season points tally was 63 from a possible 70, while Fahey in second was back on 31. Reliability was really what separated them.

Name:  image0000016A.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  89.3 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    The man himself - as I remember him - at work, Bay Park, 1969
    Attached Images Attached Images