Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Photos: The Steve Twist Collection - Jack Inwood Photos

World Champion
    Right, and could somebody on here please tell me WHY all these Mustangs have that 'nose up' attitude.........and don't tell me it is the neck-snapping acceleration that is doing it !!!!!!......weak springs/shocks ??????????????? I need to know. Seems like something that should/could have been rectified when they first raced.

Yep you are right old type long travelling shocks , springs etc etc , We ran a mustang in pre 65 never had that problem with up to date technology..... eg if you jacked the front of say Red Dawsons mustang under the front cross member you might have it a foot high & the front wheels will still be on the ground imagine the bump steer in those old cars , Ernies mk 3 would be similar until they researched ........... Our car you could say jack it up the same & the wheels would travel a few inches up after the chassis is raised , showing that minimum travel ..........

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Right, and could somebody on here please tell me WHY all these Mustangs have that 'nose up' attitude.........and don't tell me it is the neck-snapping acceleration that is doing it !!!!!!......weak springs/shocks ??????????????? I need to know. Seems like something that should/could have been rectified when they first raced.
    All the piss in the boot for the Bar b

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Yep you are right old type long travelling shocks , springs etc etc , We ran a mustang in pre 65 never had that problem with up to date technology..... eg if you jacked the front of say Red Dawsons mustang under the front cross member you might have it a foot high & the front wheels will still be on the ground imagine the bump steer in those old cars , Ernies mk 3 would be similar until they researched ........... Our car you could say jack it up the same & the wheels would travel a few inches up after the chassis is raised , showing that minimum travel ..........
    It did seem to be a common theme on the early Mustangs didn't it Grant. But they soon started getting the nose closer to the ground. Just look at any old photos of the Kar-Kraft 1969 Mustang fastback race cars, in particular Allan Moffats which had the front sheet metal spliced to get the nose right in the dirt for better aerodynamics.

That Coppins Mustang was the ex-Pete Geoghegan car and broke all sorts of Australian touring car records. It was a pretty well sorted car by all accounts, but I also wonder if part of the reason for its success was Pete himself. He was quite the peddler!

Journeyman Racer
    Paul Fahey or his engineer sorted the handling of his Shelby Mustang pretty quick though as it didn"t seem to have it's nose in the air under acceleration like the the Segiden/Dawson and Coppins cars.

Fahey bought a Shelby- a racing car. Segedins was a road car.
    Geoghegan told Coppins not to touch the suspension as it was fully sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Only NZ Mustangs got this special "nose up option" it was called the "Mini killer kit", was designed to scare the "bee-gee-us" out of all the Mini drivers lookin in the rear view mirror, a "Big Growling" Mustang about to pounce on them, eat them up and spit them out!!

Your lucky to still be around Gerald LOL

LOL Dale M LOL

Journeyman Racer
    I recall that at the time that the Fahey mustang had not only the BOAC stripes put on it between seasons but I remember thinking at the time that it seemed a little lower and handled a little flatter.Maybe it was all in my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    All the piss in the boot for the Bar b
    Ha hahahha , yea well you might be right , Good one Rod love yr humour

One other thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Ha hahahha , yea well you might be right , Good one Rod love yr humour
    One other thing I was told by some one whom I loved & respected & still do [FE !] , was to get my cars to stop & turn properly before having all the power .......hence not being able to stop & turn ,then go from there , the correct package normally sees chequered flag often .[ with out predudice]

Hi grant, shit, this site gets more addictive the more time I spend on it.great to see all the old pics of them golden days.hope all is well with you and your family

Quote Originally Posted by paul lancaster View Post
    Hi grant, shit, this site gets more addictive the more time I spend on it.great to see all the old pics of them golden days.hope all is well with you and your family
    Hi Paul yes it is just fantastic thanks to Steve etc in fact every one is rekindling our winter fires lol , I will try & get some pics on here of my last car [Mustang] comparing to the way it was & now . Just having probs down loading but will get there.
    Paul my family are just great thank you for asking , you wil know Wayne & Sharon are good down in the south , I was talking to Gary yesterday in Perth he is in process of shifting to different location in Perth he is good also hope this finds you happy & healthy .. Grant

Yes Murray and Steve. My Brother worked with Jack and I remember at the time of Instant Coffee advertising, he sent out Xmas cards with a picture of himself with no beard and the caption "Instant Inwood, just ad whiskers". Great sense of humour and a great guy not to mention a great Photographer.

Jack Inwood - Great photographer

Name:  Lawrence Melville Inwood Puke 1978.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  141.7 KB

Great seeing all the mustang shots.Of course I grew up seeing the Fahey mustang (Dads business partner) at P & R Motors now and again. There was often some panels stored upstairs in the loft also.
    I loved all the big banger racing back then. I guess that is why I have a 66 GT and a 69 fastback in the garage. Moffats car was just the business! The 69 shape really appeals.
    Jack was a familiar site at all the events back then.

Just for you Steve, the Fahey Mustang as it first raced in NZ during the 1967 season. Fahey had the wheel arches radiused to allow more clearance for the big tyres. He was made to correct this the following season when NZ switched to Group 5 rules.

Name:  image0000020A.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  104.2 KB

Caption?

Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post
    Name:  Lawrence Melville Inwood Puke 1978.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  141.7 KB
    Hey Shag, this photo is nowhere near as good as yours!