Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Fahey/Kevin McNamara Z28 Camaro

Paul Fahey/Kevin McNamara Z28 Camaro

Hey folks, I got an email a couple of days ago from Tony Collins in Queensland asking for info and photos of the Paul Fahey owned Z28 Camaro that Kevin McNamara raced in the 1975/76 Castrol GTX series in New Zealand. I'm sure I have a couple of period photos of the car around somewhere. It was painted white and sponsored by Union Travel (I think). Does anyone else have info and/or photos of the car? Also, did it race again after this season? Not sure why, but I had a feeling it might have been the Dave Baker "Big Brother" Camaro that raced the following season.

Below is the email I got from Tony. Can anyone help?

"Hi Steve

My name is Tony Collins-Haskins one of the founders of The Australian Trans-Am Series.

Shane Wilson one of our members who is coming with us to race in New Zealand has purchased a 1971 Z28 Camaro (attached photo's) here locally. He had some knowledge of this car racing in the Castrol GTX Series in the 70's . The original importer to New Zealand was Paul Fahey but as I understand he didn't race this car and was sold to someone else. It is believed to have been raced by Kevin McNamara . We are unsure of the cars colour when raced. The photos I have sent of the car as you see it has been painted in its original Vin colour. A person here believes he has seen the car White or even an Orange/Mustard colour. We think we know the where the original log books for this car are and are trying to pursue this further.
    At the moment we are going to check the car over ant race it here in the 2013 Fataz Sportsman Series apart of Australian Trans-Am. Once we get all of the cars history we will restore it back how it belonged. If yourself or anyone else has photos or imformation please let us know.

Regards
    Tony"

Name:  DSC02688.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  002 (12).jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  cam2.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  58.8 KB

Name:  cam3.jpg
Views: 1772
Size:  39.4 KB

The car was white with Union Travel sponsorship. I don't think we had log books back then.

Thanks for that Steve. Thats how I remembered it too. I'm sure I have a photo of it somewhere, am just having some trouble locating it.

WOW, whats it doing up in Aussie? and how long has it been there? surely a great story behind this?

Dale M

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    WOW, whats it doing up in Aussie? and how long has it been there? surely a great story behind this?

Dale M
    The Motor Sport New Zealand logo on the flag decal arrived around 1997-98, so it's possibly a recent immigrant.

Here's another shot of the McNamara Camaro between those of Inky Tulloch and George Bunce.

Name:  Camaros x 3.JPG
Views: 1779
Size:  68.6 KB

I have known this car since the late 70,s. about 10 years ago I noticed an add in Trade and Exchange for a Camaro for sale in New Plymouth with a 9 inch diff and stuffed 427. I took a punt that it was this car and a good friend and I made the trip to NP and yes there she was complete with the original ownership papers, Ist NZ owner Paul Fahey. Kevin leased this car off Paul to race and only from recall raced for one season. Garry purchased the car and set to refurbishing it back to its original spec...LT1 4 speed M22, 12 bolt diff etc. To do this he purchased a wreaked Z/28 from the South Island and transfered all the good bits off it.
    When the car was retired from circuit racing as with all the GTX Camaros it was registered for road use and repainted Red with red stripes. I will write more re this plus photos with my Camaro (Inky's car) I owned at the time.....Cheers Bruce D

Kevin has got the Super Liquor store on Okara Drive in Whangarei, if ya wanna try and get hold of him there. He once sold a pair of trousers to Mick Fleetwood from Fleetwood Mac - but that's getting off the subject!

Must have been special trousers!

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    I have known this car since the late 70,s. about 10 years ago I noticed an add in Trade and Exchange for a Camaro for sale in New Plymouth with a 9 inch diff and stuffed 427. I took a punt that it was this car and a good friend and I made the trip to NP and yes there she was complete with the original ownership papers, Ist NZ owner Paul Fahey. Kevin leased this car off Paul to race and only from recall raced for one season. Garry purchased the car and set to refurbishing it back to its original spec...LT1 4 speed M22, 12 bolt diff etc. To do this he purchased a wreaked Z/28 from the South Island and transfered all the good bits off it.
    When the car was retired from circuit racing as with all the GTX Camaros it was registered for road use and repainted Red with red stripes. I will write more re this plus photos with my Camaro (Inky's car) I owned at the time.....Cheers Bruce D
    Bruce, I didn't realise that was you! Welcome to the site. Both Garry and Mike are members on here too. I remember spending an afternoon with you and Garry talking about these Camaro's, and being amazed at the amount of investigative work you guys had done to trace all the early NZ production racing Camaro's. And I remember you guys taking about the 'death Camaro', which you'd got to pull those parts from. I think Garrys wife told him to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Name:  McNamara Camaro.JPG
Views: 1575
Size:  58.6 KB
    Milan, amazing photos! Many thanks for these.

I originally got this photo from Garry Price and Bruce Dyer as part of their huge collection of info gathered on the Castrol GTX and other early production racing NZ Camaro's.

Name:  23368_10151637171354778_129180643_n.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  34.9 KB

Hi Steve, great site you have and I have been enjoying reading all the blogs. This is the photo I was looking for. The car was a 71 Z/28, and raced only in these colours. The rear small spoiler was removed and replaced with the high one. It also had the 73 front bumper when raced and when Garry owned it. Yes the death Camaro is another story and it was a concorse car.....was. From memory the car debut was January 76 at Puke along with the Tulloch car. Great photo of the 3 Zees racing, never seen that photo before. See you at HD, Cheers Bruce

What ever happened to the silver Z/28 Camaro that Grady Thomson raced ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    Hey Bruce, I remember this car.It turned up to one of our Camaro Club outings.I think it had hooker sidepipes, and broke down with overheating problems, maybe a blown head gssket.
    I would like to find out the whereabouts of my old Z28-ex english import Art McKee car.
    Last edited by vette8; 01-04-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Steve, what colour was your car?

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    What ever happened to the silver Z/28 Camaro that Grady Thomson raced ?
    Was this a '69 model John?

Motorman did a test on it in July 1970, was a 1969 302 reg EC 8804 and Grady eventually bought it and raced in 1971 .Would this have been used also in the Z/28 era in mid 70s on , or was it just later ones like Bunce/ Coppins/ McKee,/ Tulloch etc
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-05-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Steve, what colour was your car?
    metallic orange with white stripes, that was late 70s early 80s however, I believe it may have been painted its original gold with black stripes.
    Last I heard its was alive and kicking in West Auckland, but that was about 10 years ago.