Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Post

Weekend Warrior

First Post

Hi All

I was wondering whether anybody would have photo's of my father Bruce McLean? He raced a Lotus Cortina in the 60's against Rod Coppins, Paul Fahey, Red Dawson etc and later ran a V6 Capri and also a pretty quick XB Falcon. He also competed in many Wills 6 hour and B & H 6 hour races driving predominantely with his business partner Barry Phillips. Any Pics would be greatly appreciated.
    I also competed in the Production Supercar class back approx 1980 in a Green E49 Charger with Dad who at that stage had an XB Falcon and uncle Trevor McLean who also had an E49 and then a Holden Commodore. If anybody has any Pics of my E49 they would also be greatly appreciated.
    I moved from Auckland to the Gold Coast in 1998 and am currently building a 72 Z28 Comaro to run in the Trans Am class over here which at this stage is a QUeensland based class only, but is growing fairly rapidly. Several Kiwi's are running cars actually, maybe it has something to do with being starved of motorsport back in NZ (and maybe climate).
    Anyway I look forward to any correspondence and Pics. Thanks in advance.

Steve McLean

Hi Steve, I have probably got some photos of some of your dads cars, I`ll have a look for you. Bob Homewood may also have some. My father in law Barry Pointon had quite a bit to do with your dad both socially and helping him with his racing. Post some photos of your Camaro on here when you get time. I don`t think your dad would approve as he was always a Ford man!!!

Photo from Wigram 1969
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Barry Phillips is still around and going strong. Either he or his son could help you.

Yes I would have some for sure ,apart from knowing your Dad in later years ,I used to go over to George Dixon's farm on Sunday afternoon.s real early sixties when your Dad had a black Ford V8 Sedan ,I had a Chev Coupe at the time and we used to run the "Paerata Grand Prix " in Georges hay paddock after the hay had been cut ,if any one ever finds any photos of those afternoons I quite often chuckle about the discussion that will go on about where the race meeting was held ,some times it was like a whose who of motor racing in those times ,also once or twice we blew up the engine in some old old wreck for a bit of fun
    Last edited by bob homewood; 01-07-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Rod

Thanks so much for the picture and info - it's awesome as it is the first picture I have ever seen. Shame they didn't get his name right in the article. Looking at the points he drove pretty good considering it was a 4 cylinder.

Regards
    Steve McLean

Your dad in close company with Barry 1968

And yes they did get some names wrong way back then, I used to watch him in the Cortina, unreal always wagging a wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by macpac View Post
    I also competed in the Production Supercar class back approx 1980 in a Green E49 Charger with Dad who at that stage had an XB Falcon and uncle Trevor McLean who also had an E49 and then a Holden Commodore. If anybody has any Pics of my E49 they would also be greatly appreciated.
    Hi Steve,

Was your E49 factory green (limelight)? I have some photos of Trevors vitimen C E38 which perhaps is the one your refering to?

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks some much for the response. I sent you a reply but it doesn't seem to be showing up anywhere so if I have replied to you twice I'm sorry. The name Barry Pointon is familiar to me but trying to put a face to the name is a bit of a struggle. Yes I don't think he would be super happy about the Comaro because he definately was a Ford man through and through. It is currently a shell that has been sand blasted, roll cage, seat, pedal box and fuel tank fitted and the tunnel modified so it can take any kind of gearbox. I will post some pics though.

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Rod

Thanks so much for the awesome Pic and info. Shame they could get his name right. The 4 cylinders went alright against the Mustang back then.

Cheers Steve

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks John. I think maybe my mum still sees the Phillip's very occasionally.

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob. I do remember your name from the motor racing. I do remeber a lot of the names because I got taken to the races from when I was about 2 or 3 years of age. I think my mum may have the odd picture of way back then. I will ask next time I speak with her.

Weekend Warrior
    Sorry not to sure but I think so. Trevor purchased it and let me run it. The guy who owned it before him had been racing it but it got repossed with a conrod hanging out the side of the block. We put another engine in it and I ran it for a season. I had sponsorship from Captain Snooze water beds. I got pole at Manfield the first time I ever drove on the circuit and Trevor was beside me on the front row. I also ran it at Baypark and Pukekohe.

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve,
    I'm intrigued by your comment "...maybe it has something to do with being starved of motorsport back in NZ (and maybe climate)."
    What exactly do you mean by that?
    Cheers, John

Weekend Warrior
    Hi John

I guess what I mean is that when I lived in NZ the motor racing season was approx october through to about March were as over here because the whether is a little better we race from February/March through to November/December.

Cheers Steve

Journeyman Racer
    I think the Lotus Cortina in the photo of The Jack Inwood thread.Wills 3 hrs is your fathers.Partnering with your Uncle maybe?

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks hilstwist. Being new here I am struggling to find my way around (must be a bit technologically challenged) Lol. Can you steer me in the direction of where I go to see the photo please?

Steve, if you look on the top right corner of the main forum page, where it says Advanced Search, type in your dads name, or Jack Inwood, or whoever you are looking to read about, and that will get you around the site, and you`ll pick it up from there.