Thread: Roger Dowding

Roger Dowding

This boy recently, as in nearly 4 years ago, moved across the ditch from NZ to Sydney and now Bellara [ where the ** is that ] on an Island North of Brisbane, near the Sunshine Coast, came from a family of car nuts, my Uncle who at 93 is still around and in good health was a founding member of Northern Sports Car Club and it's first Club Captain, my father was the Auditor for many years in the 1950's. I joined NSCC in 1967 and started off in trials then moved into grass sprints, sealed sprint [ mainly at Pukekohe ] and Hillclimbs from 1970 to about 1980, have done the TACCOC Petit Le Mans in 1983 for the Austin Healey Car Club NZ and was organiser for their Hillclimb at Otaua, near Pukekohe for several years 1987 - 1990 , competed in 1983, hung up the Max Cheshire Helmet [ which I still have MANZ spec 1971 ] in 1984, but prior to that in 1979/80 did the entire Bardahl Hillclimb series in a 1967 Triumph TR4A, since then mainly a spectator but did do a Track Day at Pukekohe in a Mazda MX5 in 2004, which my son still drives [ 1991 model BRG with the Limited Editon bits ]. now living in Bellara I am 40 minutes from Lakeside Raceway, what a predicament, when to go or when to go to the beach, no contest, the cars win.

Gidday Rog. Great to see that you've finally joined us here at 'The Roaring Season' - like most of us, I'm sure you are going to spend far too much time here!

You might like to start your own new, separate thread listing your introductory information (above), as it may not be noticed here on the thread started by Greg (BTW, welcome to you too Greg).

Can I also suggest that you get busy scanning all your old black & white Pukekohe photos from the 60's and 70's. We'd love to see them all posted here on the Forum.

Cheers, John

Roger, its really great to have you on here, welcome to The Roaring Season. Already been enjoying your contributions to the site, looking forward to many more.

Steve, thanks, still trying to find my way around the site, J B as in John B, introduced me, we have been neighbours and friends since 1998 and both are totally into cars and motorsport.
    chose " weekend warrior " as my title as that was what happened from late 60's to mid 1980's and less frequent after that, car trials, crowd marshall, flag marshall, rally marshall, Trial plotter including co-plotter for the 1974/ or 75 NSCC Castrol Trial, stage chief for NSCC and marshall for Tokoroa CC and Pukekohe CC on occasions plus the Hillclimbs and sprints etc that I did in cars ranging from 850cc Mini to Austin Healey Sprite then Triumph GT6 and TR4A. as JB said will spend too much time here, great

Pukekohe - various photos - 1964 - 71

Can I also suggest that you get busy scanning all your old black & white Pukekohe photos from the 60's and 70's. We'd love to see them all posted here on the Forum.

just re -reading my Introduction and did post all those photos and the thread has had nearly 13,000 views so guess the boys like it

pics like this ;

Name:  Minisprint Pukekohe GP 1968  Gilbertson ACCI11102015 (780x800).jpg
Views: 673
Size:  131.8 KB

and this

Name:  Pukekohe April 1966 Mustang Ivan Segedin -stack pipes CCI12102015_0001 (800x790).jpg
Views: 637
Size:  139.8 KB

cheers

Roger

World Champion
    Roger,
    You are now recognized around the world for your driving skills in your 1967 TR 4 A.
    This photo has made you famous.
    Name:  Roger Dowding. TR 4 A. NZ hill climb. 1980.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  151.6 KB
    Roger Dowding at the 1980 Bardahl Hillclimb in NZ. (Photographer unknown )

Well done mate, one day I will show up to get your autograph.
    Check out this site. There are some good Moss articles.
    If you look closely you may also see a certain person mentioned.

http://www.mossmotoring.com/looking-back/

http://www.mossmotoring.com/issue-1-2016/

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-25-2016 at 08:14 PM.

That TR4A

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Roger,
    You are now recognized around the world for your driving skills in your 1967 TR 4 A.
    This photo has made you famous.
    Name:  Roger Dowding. TR 4 A. NZ hill climb. 1980.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  151.6 KB
    Roger Dowding at the 1980 Bardahl Hillclimb in NZ. (Photographer unknown )

Well done mate, one day I will show up to get your autograph.
    Check out this site. There are some good Moss articles.
    If you look closely you may also see a certain person mentioned.

http://www.mossmotoring.com/looking-back/

http://www.mossmotoring.com/issue-1-2016/

(Ken Hyndman )
    Ken yes I do owe an autograph and a beer or two as well, as they say " One Day Roger Fitch, One Day " i will deliver on the promise Coors / Molson's or something serious from San Diego - Karl Strauss or Colorado - Sierra Nevada the real brewers. I like Sierra's Torpedo at around 7% .. cheers, about to have a " Montieths " right now from NZ, Greymouth originally